Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:22 PM

21 posts, read 49,596 times

Advertisements

First off, let me just say one word..........BEAUTIFUL.

Tuesday midday, we land. It's misty and 55 degrees. Everywhere I looked, I saw beautiful mountains. I inhaled the cool air, and smiled. How awesome, I haven't even made it to the car yet and I'm already impressed. It was roughly a 25 minute drive to the house we stayed at in Brentwood. My neck hurt from looking left and right watching the different views of mountains and houses go by. I see all the businesses and fun stops that make Florida what it is. The chains are the same, the gas is a little cheaper, and again, the VIEWS are incredible. It was grey, cloudy and already better than home. I had a perma-grin the entire way.

We drove up Percy Priest Park's mountain path, it was awesome. We found a spot that had a huge overlook, spanning down the side of the mountain, all the way to the next mountain a few miles away. I would love to post the picture, but I'm at work. During the week, we also checked out Franklin, Hermitage, Smyrna, and Nashville itself.

What really surprised me, and this is probably nothing to you guys, but we went to a fast food burger joint...and the guy over the speaker was really polite. He didn't interrupt me, he said 'sir' alot, and wasn't in a hurry to shove me along.

Another night, we went downtown to eat. I got a nice view of the AT&T building, which my brother-in-law told me was nicknamed the "Batman" building. Also, we saw LP Field, Hard Rock, and that bridge near the Stadium is cool! Earlier that day, we went to the Opry Mills Mall. That mall makes the malls here look tiny. We also saw 2012 at one of the giant screen theatres, and again, to boast the subtle differences...the screen was actually centered on the canvas. Again, seems silly to you because OF COURSE the screen should be centered, but you would be surprised how little people care about that here.

Presentation seems to be a big deal there in reference to your plazas. Pretty much every plaza we went to was clean cut, free of parking lot debris, and tailored to look nice. All around, it's a wonderful place. You would think with all the money Palm Beach County is supposed to have, we would have the best of things. I can tell you especially after visiting there, we aren't as nice as they tell you.

Now, let me tell you the effect my visit had on me personally:

I was the guy that always had to keep pace with the fast lane. I was the guy that got upset if someone was weaving around in traffic and driving like a maniac. I was the guy with no patience. After only a week there, last night I drove home from our airport doing the speed limit....in the middle lane...with people flying past me....and I didn't care. My wife actually said, "This is the first time I've ever seen you not react when people drive like this."

Thank you Nashville. I look forward to relocating there in a few months and contributing to the niceness I was shown. Maybe one day, someone else will write a story like this one, and I can be one of the people who helped show them a great visit to Nashville!

- Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit. We'll keep a light on for you!

Actually, I'm now in Chattanooga, but I grew up in Nashville (always my home).

Old 11-27-2009, 08:42 AM

I can't believe how much I miss Nashville already. I'm a Florida Native, and spent all of my life here. Seen the best and worst of Florida, been thru 10 hurricanes, tropical storms, floods, etc. I can't wait to get back there and get myself a little piece of your area. It's a new paradise for me. I'm expecting to move there in February, and from what I've heard that is the coldest time of year. Hopefully, I'll get to see snow for the first time ever!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:15 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
BigBill,
It was so nice to read your post, I enjoyed it. I too moved to TN, east though, from of all places...you guessed it, Jupiter FL LOL!! I SOO understand what you mean about the traffic there, stress and so forth. I moved to East TN in 97, my parents after one visit decided to move here in 2000 and my brother and family are moving up this Saturday. After south east coast FL, anywhere (just about) in TN does wonders for the soul. I have been here all these years now and still appreciate those mountains and the people/way of life every day. You won't regret your move.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
BigBill,
It was so nice to read your post, I enjoyed it. I too moved to TN, east though, from of all places...you guessed it, Jupiter FL LOL!! I SOO understand what you mean about the traffic there, stress and so forth. I moved to East TN in 97, my parents after one visit decided to move here in 2000 and my brother and family are moving up this Saturday. After south east coast FL, anywhere (just about) in TN does wonders for the soul. I have been here all these years now and still appreciate those mountains and the people/way of life every day. You won't regret your move.
How funny, the Jupiter thing. It's not that I hate this place, it used to be a great place to raise kids, and enjoy life...but the lack of courtesy and kindness here just really drags you down. Especially after visiting a place like Nashville. I made a few posts on my social networking account during my trip and someone that moved to Georgia from here replied, "Isn't it sad that we have to drive NORTH to get SOUTHERN hospitality?". It really is!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:37 PM

451 posts, read 1,372,117 times
Thanks for this post, Bill.... Try not to lose your 'Tennessee state of mind' between now and February! We will be happy to welcome you home!!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:24 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
I moved here 15 years ago from the NYC area and still haven't lost my TN state of mind. You will love it!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
Wow, it was great reading your experience with Nashville. Soon when people say where are you from, you can say "Tennessee".

Old 12-01-2009, 02:15 PM

I can't wait. Looking at the weather map today, and the whole country is enjoying a comfortable winter day, except South Florida. It's hot and humid today. Wow, have I missed Tennessee since I got back here.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Glad you enjoyed your trip, Bill! Sometimes I have some negative things to say about this area, but I'd still prefer to live here over a lot of places I've been. Did you land in Middle TN? If so, you may change your definition of "mountain" after you travel to the East a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville