Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:42 AM

69 posts, read 245,158 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband, our two babies and I may be moving to the Nashville area this fall or sooner (we should know where we will end up in a month or two). We would like to know safe areas to live with an hour or less commute to the international airport. We prefer neighborhoods with lots of children. Also, we are LDS (Mormon) and if anyone on here is LDS or knows anything about the wards in and around Nashville let me know! We are searching for a ward with lots of nursery/primary age kids and young couples. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 10:51 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
The Nashville temple is in Franklin. Seems to be well-attended. College and young couples' wards in Hillsboro area in Nashville.

That's about all I know.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,979 times
This is a great map that I like to use. Try clicking the Hybrid button and use your mouse wheel to zoom in. You can see the neighborhood layout that shows an areial veiw with houses and buildings, etcetera. You can also hold the left mouse button down and move to different areas of the map. All the wards are listed in the window on the left, and if you click on the on pinkish colored balloons (A, B, C . . .) a callout message will pop up with the address, phone number, etcetera. We're moving to Chattanooga, and this is how I found out about the wards there. I chose a few to check out, then called on a Sunday morning, and the bishop or someone else called me back later to tell me about the area. Good luck with your move. Here's the map site:
http://www.maps.google.com/maps?hl=e...p&cd=1&ie=UTF8

Old 05-21-2007, 06:47 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybee22 View Post
Hi, my husband, our two babies and I may be moving to the Nashville area this fall or sooner (we should know where we will end up in a month or two). We would like to know safe areas to live with an hour or less commute to the international airport. We prefer neighborhoods with lots of children. Also, we are LDS (Mormon) and if anyone on here is LDS or knows anything about the wards in and around Nashville let me know! We are searching for a ward with lots of nursery/primary age kids and young couples. Thanks!
Do you have a price range or the kind of housing in mind that you'd like? The Nashville Temple is in Franklin, but the cost of living there is considerably higher than elsewhere in Middle Tennessee. It's a great town, but you pay for it.

Mount Juliet (1 ward), Hendersonville (1 ward) and Smyrna (2 wards) are all popular places for transplants. In all, here's the LDS breakdown by county:
Davidson (Nashville): 4 wards, 2 branches, 2 Spanish branches
Rutherford (Murfreesboro and Smyrna): 4 wards, 1 Spanish branch
Williamson (Brentwood, Franklin, Spring Hill): 4 wards
Sumner (Gallatin and Hendersonville): 2 wards
Wilson (Mount Juliet and Lebanon): 1 ward and 1 branch

Cookeville is an hour east of the airport, a straight shot up I-40, it has 2 wards, much lower cost of living and lower taxes than in the Nashville area, excellent (outstanding) public schools (it's a college town), and it has very low crime. Quite a few people live in Cookeville because of its proximity to the Nashville airport and its more family-friendly atmosphere, lower taxes, excellent schools, beautiful countryside, and lack of traffic.

(And one of the LDS bishops in Cookeville is a good friend of mine...)

Last edited by JMT; 09-23-2017 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: updated LDS units to reflect growth

Old 05-21-2007, 07:46 PM

69 posts, read 245,158 times
Hey, thanks for the info.! Our price range is $800 and under. We need a 3 bed/2 bath apartment, house, townhome, whatever...just enough room for my husband and I, two kids, and a home office. We could make due with a 2 bed/2bath if we have to, but then we would have to have a garage or something for storage.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:01 AM

41 posts, read 127,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybee22 View Post

I am LDS and just moved to Mt Juliet. I partly chose the area because of the ward. One thing I recommend is going to the Church website (www.lds.org) and use the meetinghouse locator. You can click on each ward website and be able to email someone (like the ward clerk). I emailed and asked for the number of members attending each week, how many primary, how many youth etc. They are more than happy to answer. This ward now is very well balanced ward with young couple and up. The ward is growing each week it seems like as well. We are also very close to the airport. How old are your kids? You would need to do research on housing though since I don't know anything about renting around here.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:06 AM

18 posts, read 50,908 times
My family is moving to Nashville as well. I am looking for a safe good neighborhood by a LDS Chruch. I am really nervous about moving because I love the neighborhood that I am in now. It is very safe and I love the schools. My husband wants to move to Franklin or Brentwood. I would like it to be close to things because I have a horrible sense of direction. I need a swim team for one of my daughters(11) and a preschool for another(3) I also need a gym close by for me. I have another daughter(9) and a son (6). Can anyone reasure me and let me know that it will all work out. I really don't want to move.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
If your husband knows how unhappy you are about moving, then why on earth are you going? Is there still a chance you can stay?

I love it here, and bet you would too, eventually, but resentment can be like poison if you're not careful.

I wish you the best. Hopefully he'll relent and happily stay, or you'll visit, love it, and happily move.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 AM

18 posts, read 50,908 times
I think he is pretty set on moving. He is letting me keep my house here. So I can visit anytime. This is the step in his company he is looking for and he says he will have to move withing the next 2 years anyway and this way he can pick where. (he is from Nashville) We could move back after 2-5 years. I have held him back from moving for many years and I think I owe him this. If I refused to move I'm sure he would do something to stay but he feels really good about the move.

I am scared about the crime the bugs (I hate bugs) humidity and just my kids developing good safe freinds. (I watch and read to many true crime stories)

I have never moved before except from Idaho to Utah. Which is about the same thing. Moving back east scares me. I have traveled a lot and I know there are nice people everywhere. But I have also met a lot of really crazzy people in my life. I have really good freinds here, freinds that are really hard to find. But, I do feel like this is what I need to do, I just don't want to. (I am a big baby)

So are my kids going to find good friends? Or is it a lot harder to find them out there? Where do you suggest moving to? Any info you can tell me would be great!!

Thank you!!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
I think your husband is on the right track about where to move. Franklin and Brentwood are both good options.

Good luck with it. It's hard enough to move anytime, let alone when your heart isn't into it.

Now all you need is a GPS system in your car. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville