Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM

48 posts, read 121,571 times

Advertisements

We have never been to TN and we are going to be traveling south towards the Florida Panhandle on Hwy 65 the end of the month. Is there any real good genuine Bar B Que restaurants you can recommend in or near Nashville? If we leave the CAN/USA Ambassador Bridge before 8am and drive the speed limit we think we can make it to Nashville in time for a good bar b que rib or steak dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,209,485 times
I would suggest Martin's in Nolensville, but their new location will not open until the first week in February. I have heard good things about Jack's downtown, but have never been...

Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,440 times
Too bad you're not going to Memphis. Their BBQ is what I think of when I think of TN barbecue. Oddly enough we have a few Texas style barbecue spots here that people rave about, but Texas barbecue is completely different than TN barbecue. You could check out Jim & Nick's on the West side of Nashville. Whitt's and Jack's are also popular spots. That will be a completely different dining experience than a steak dinner like you mentioned, but it's worth trying a local deal. Meat and threes are also "area" type restaurants you might want to try for the experience as well - Monnell's, Arnold's, Copper Kettle, Southern Bred, etc.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,550 times
You'll be coming down I-65 from the north side... and you'll be quite close to Center Point BBQ in Hendersonville. It's at the Center Point Rd./Gallatin Rd. Exit off Highway 386 (Vietnam Vets Pkwy). Viet Vets is the spur that goes all the way from Rivergate at I-65 to Gallatin, north of Hendersonville. Unfortunately, there is not a direct exit from the North onto Viet Vets. You would have to get off at the Long Hollow Pike exit of I-65. Then turn left. Then right on Conference Drive up to Viet Vets Blvd (or Pky??). Turn left onto ramp to VVets and go to next exit (Center Point Rd.). Take exit and turn right on Ctr.Pt.. Go a few hundred yards up to Gallatin Rd., and Center Point BBQ will be on the right corner. Putting into your GPS will make much more sense of this... but Center Point BBQ (I always get minced pork) but the pulled pork is very good too. Nice smokey flavor and a selection of vinegar based sauces (I get the "hot"). Be sure to put pickles on it too.

One final thing... don't let the zig-zag-sounding directions off southbound I-65 scare you. It's really not bad, nor is it a long distance off your path. Fortunately, getting back to southbound I-65 to Nashville is very easy, since Viet Vets Pkwy has a two-lane ramp back onto southbound I-65. Your total time spent going to Center Point and getting back on I-65 will really only be 15-20 minutes. Well worth the drive!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,550 times
The official name of state route 386 is Vietnam Veterans Boulevard.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I would suggest Martin's in Nolensville, but their new location will not open until the first week in February. I have heard good things about Jack's downtown, but have never been...
Thank you! We were just wondering about the re-opening this morning.

Jack's is pretty good. And one place for ribs that is underrated is Rippy's.

Another non-BBQ joint with good BBQ is Puckett's.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,996 times
Home Page

Thursday is rib day, but just get the full plate of meat and add a couple ribs as a side taster. The BBQ Bologna is unreal. It's only open for lunch. Delicious.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 PM

625 posts, read 4,572,020 times
Jack's downtown...if you want to go just a little to the west off Charlotte Pike is Jim and Nick's which is my favorite! Down in Brentwood is Corky's which is a chain that is originally based out of Memphis-good stuff. I grew up in Memphis and prefer that style (tomato based sauce) and these are my favorite. Mmm, can't wait to head back to Memphis for BBQ Fest this May!! yum

Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 PM

593 posts, read 1,356,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Down in Brentwood is Corky's which is a chain that is originally based out of Memphis-good stuff. I grew up in Memphis and prefer that style (tomato based sauce) and these are my favorite.
I like Corky's dry rub ribs, personally. To the original poster, if you're getting in after rush hour, Corky's would be an easy on/off from I-65 at Exit 74. If you're familiar with the Famous Dave's chain, there's one of those off Exit 69 next to the Galleria mall.

My first recommendation would have been Martin's but besides the renovation, it's also a pretty fair ways off the interstate.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 PM

56 posts, read 144,316 times
Center Point is our favorite. Try the wings.....mmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville