Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times

Advertisements

Racism is dead. Especially with an Asian and a Caucasian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:16 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Racism is dead. Especially with an Asian and a Caucasian.
That's far from true, though I doubt you have anything at all to worry about. The racists I know would never actually harm anyone, they mainly just talk/complain/joke behind others' backs. They're annoying but pretty harmless, and their attentions are focused mainly on African Americans.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:07 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
They're annoying, a huge minority, and haven't really managed to pass their beliefs onto succeeding generations. That's why I said racism is dead. Of course, anyone with half a brain can realize that yes, there *are* racists all over the world.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:
They're annoying, a huge minority, and haven't really managed to pass their beliefs onto succeeding generations. That's why I said racism is dead. Of course, anyone with half a brain can realize that yes, there *are* racists all over the world.
That's true, most of the younger people I know are not at all racist, though I know a couple of exceptions. Hopefully it will die out in a few more decades.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 18,372 times
Hello everyone. A friend of mine moved to Franklin, TN from Miami, FL about two years ago. She loves it and the schools are great. I too am considering to move from Florida to Franklin but will have to visit her before I make my decision. I have never been in TN. I have three children and the eldest in 6th grade. The schools in Miami are terrible and would like to mover before he gets into hight schools. I main concern is that we are white but have a hispanic background therefore I am afraid that my children will be discriminated. So far my friend has not experienced any discrimination. She did mention that everyone is very friendly. Something we do not have here in Miami.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Default racism in different cities

To the op question.

Racism isn't dead in any city. You will have to identify the racial climate in your new city and figure out how it will impact you and your familys life.

The unfortunate thing is you probably won't figure it out until 3 to 6 month after the move. Much of your happiness in any new city is how you interpret your new life.

Mjt

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM

9 posts, read 26,111 times
I have to weigh in a bit here...I too am part of a caucasian/Asian couple, and I do worry about my children. We get more than our share of looks/comments in public (thankfully, positive) -- but we did up North too -- and for the most part, people have been very nice. I moved to a pretty "red" suburb of Nashville several months ago, and I have yet to have a negative experience, at least in this regard.

However, there was an article in the Hendersonville Star a week or so ago that mentioned a family with adopted Asian children (the article did not give specific nationality), children who had been bullied, because of their appearance, at a middle school. I saw the article as good and bad: I was sadly reminded that my children may still face this, but I was also encouraged by the school's seemingly swift and thorough response.

I felt I should mention this to you, in the interest of full disclosure, but I also think that this could have happened most anywhere. Racism can be found anywhere in the country, e.g., the incredibly segregated Detroit area that I just left behind...

Either way, best of luck to you. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised by how kind your neighbors will be!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
My experiences in Nashville have been mixed inreguards to racism being white with a black wife. Mostly just people staring or making under there breath comments and things like that. I'd say it's no worse here then it is anywhere else but It's not better then alot of places I've been either.

My advice is, You can't let others and their big mouths determine where you live, what you do, or your happiness.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:57 PM

40 posts, read 88,757 times
Quote:
They're annoying, a huge minority, and haven't really managed to pass their beliefs onto succeeding generations. That's why I said racism is dead.
I'm not sure about this. We just moved here from New England and we are caucasian. My 7-y-o son goes to "the best" public school in Hendersonville, and he was recently told by other children, "You shouldn't like Barack Obama. You should like a white guy." I was shocked when he told me that. Hopefully that's the minority and I hope it's correct that it is dying out.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 PM

215 posts, read 681,797 times
As a transgender person who lives in East Nashville and has visited Hendersonville,TN several times to shop at some stores there I can tell you Hendersonville is not a very nice place it's bigoted to some degree and some people just stare and give me funny looks and even a very small few act as if they want to get violent with me and it's usually the rednecks that try to do this.If a person does not understand anyone like me for looking different and non-traditional then they should at least try to mind their business but that is the bad part about Hendersonville and racism there is no surprise either so my advice is don't move there.

In East Nashville(which also includes Inglewood and Northeast Nashville)where I live I don't have to worry about any of those problems hardly at all because it's a very tolerant place to live and that is why I like it and if I had a big income and/or was buying a home I wouldn't even consider Hendersonville because of how hateful they can be torwards me just because I am a transgender(not transsexual)woman,that shows me how mean it can be out there.Now Brentwood,Franklin,Belle Meade,Goodlettsville,and Berry Hill are not as bad and are indeed more tolerant and so I would go with those towns,as for Mt. Juliet I am not sure about that one but the very most tolerant and accepting place in middle tennessee especially if you're part of the lgbtq community like me is Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville