Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,690 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Nashville area this summer from northern California. I have a couple of questions- 1. What towns are safe and family friendly within a 30 min. commute to Nashville? 2. Both of my children are home-schooled. Are there public schools that offer home-schooling programs through them? If not, where do people go for a home-schooling program? 3. Any areas or towns that we should completely stay away from? Thank you, Christy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
Wow! There are many safe communities in the Nashville area. Some are more popular than others for the obvious reasons (housing, c.o.l./taxes, convenience/location, etc.). I think you'd find that all of them rate pretty high on the safety scale. Of course, Nashville is the urban center, which would make it more prone to big city crime.

The more popular family cities tend to be Franklin, Brentwood, Spring Hill, Hendersonville, Smyrna. I view Murfreesboro and Clarksville as more independent of Nashville, although they're considered part of the metro area. Those are the most notable towns within a half-hour commute of the downtown area. Obviously, traffic patterns would make your commutes from one side of the metro to another side take longer (usually).

Smaller communities that seem to be doing well include Gallatin, Mt. Juliet (this would be my first place to recommend to you), Lebanon, Hermitage (which is an actual part of Nashville), Goodlettsville, Springfield, White House, Fairview and Portland. Then farther out is Dickson and Ashland City. I'd say all those towns are quite safe. Good luck!

Having said the above, I should mention that the local newspaper has run three articles this week on gangs in the suburbs. Being familiar with the areas mentioned (including Antioch), I'd say it is an over-exaggeration of a problem that does exist. I've lived in Dallas and other larger cities, and this was the sort of thing that was reported all the time there.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
As I understand the home-schooling rules, families who do this must "affiliate" with a sanctioned school. This school does not necessarily have to be in the state, but it must have a curriculum for the home schooled students to follow. My neighbor in Chattanooga has her children registered (for a nominal fee) with a school in Memphis. I'm told there are very many of sanctioned schools, and finding a suitable one is not a problem. Maybe someone with first-hand experience can elaborate.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:38 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
I had a family member who chose homeschooling and they used Family Christian Academy

Old 03-03-2010, 01:47 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
I think the only Nashville suburb (outside of davidson co) that I hear negative things about is LaVergne. It's really exploded in growth but the city hasn't handled it very well. A lot of industrial parks have opened up and some of the problems that plague Antioch have spilled into LaVergne as well.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 PM

19 posts, read 37,237 times
We moved from So Cal to the Lebanon area last year and LOVE it here! Prices are so rediculously reasonalble after CA and the folks are A#1!

There is a train that takes you into Nashville that I believe is 45 minutes.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
LaVergne does have a questionable reputation but much of that is centered around the Lake Forest subdivision in the middle of town. The Waldron Road area west of I-24 closer to Nolensville is a beautiful area. It's convenient to Nashville, Cool Springs, and Murfreesboro. Unless there is a major problem on the interstate I can get just about anywhere in 20 minutes. That said, the only place I would definitely stay out of is Antioch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville