Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 30,372 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My name is MaryLynn and I have always lived in Florida. I have three children and it has gotten very diffiicult to support the family. My husband is self-employed and I have not worked for about seven years. He make a very good salary but it's still to expensive to live here.

The homes here are extremely expensive. Luckily, we were able to purchase our home right before the market went up. My house is a 4/3 2400 sq ft home and we pay $4300 in taxes and about $4800 in our homeowners insurance. It has really gotten out of hand.

I am currently researching Tennessee. A friend of just moved to TN from FL and she loves it. She moved to Franklin, TN. (Wiliamson County)

I really don't even know where to start. Can anyone guide me to which areas are good areas for raising our children. I have two in elementary.(9 & 7) and a daughter which is one. One of the most important things to me would be to have my children in very good public schools. Is Franklin, TN a good area? Is it very expensive? I would love some guidance. I am planning a trip very soon to TN as soon as I can get some information together.

My husband is a real estate appraiser and I am a teacher. How is the RE appraising in TN? Is it a good business? I am sure I won't have a problem find a teaching position. OUr worry would be my husband job.

Also, I heard that buying vacant lans is very cheap. Is that accurate? What areas would be the best to purchase land to later build a home.

Thank you for your help,
MaryLynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 10:31 PM

66 posts, read 369,201 times
Williamson Co has excellent schools. I live in Murfreesboro and we have great schools here also. It is a little cheaper here than in Franklin (as far as home prices). My family just moved here from Florida also. We have been here for a few months and love it. It is so nice not to have to worry about high HOA and property taxes. It was the best decision we made. I do miss certain things about Florida, but it is definitely worth it to move here. The people are wonderful. I have a 7 year old and she loves her school here. I have been impressed so far.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2007, 06:55 AM

279 posts, read 472,356 times
franklin and brentwood are over-priced. Look around and you can find a lot cheaper. Look into hendersonville.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:52 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,392 times
Williamson County does have excellent schools and on this forum many people like to say they would NEVER send their kids to school in Metro Nashville. However, the latest article ranking the top 1200 public schools in the nation is interesting. The FIRST school for Williamson County is at number 242. Metro Nashville has 3 that come before anything in Williamson County. Martin Luther King Magnet (still a public school) ranks at # 23 in the nation. Hume-Fogg is within the top 100 and Hillsboro High School comes in the mid 100's. We love the Hillsboro Cluster.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:04 PM

225 posts, read 1,144,098 times
Franklin is a wonderful area to raise a family and schools there are excellent. However, home prices are much more expensive in Williamson County than other areas of Middle TN. And vacant land in Williamson County is not cheap!

Neighboring Rutherford County and Wilson County also offer some excellent schools and great values in housing prices. Rutherford County has magnet schools which is one thing that Williamson County schools do not have at this time. I think if you look at the reports for the schools in these areas you will be pleased.

Sumner County, north of Nasvhille is another area you might want to consider. There is a wide range of communities and homes available in Middle TN. It is not my job to pick an area, or choose which area is best or right for a family. Everyone has their own lifestyle and type of community that they prefer. Every time I "think" I know which community or city a family will like best...they select another area. When you come to Middle TN, take a few days to look around the entire area. Reserach the schools and other community amenities that are important to your family. Once you have selected the are that fits you best, your home search will go much easier. However, sometimes your price range will play into your final selection. It is really hard to get into Brentwood or Franklin unless you are in the higher level price range or want to consider a condo.

I've lived in Middle TN my entire life and can't imagine living anywhere else! Good luck with your potential move!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I will definately keep all this info in mind. Schools are very important to me. I did noticed that Franklin is very expensive. I look around the areas close to Franklin.

MaryLynn

Old 06-03-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Question on TN land

In today's local newspaper there was a brochure on TN land. This community is called Sequatchie Pointe. You can purchase about 2 acres of land for $39,900. Has anyone heard of this? I was wondering if this is worth purchasing.

MaryLynn

Old 06-05-2007, 04:16 PM

36 posts, read 108,226 times
MaryLynn,

I am also looking to move there from Florida (after my homeowners insurance doubled ------TWICE! I am thoroughly checking out areas up there and I think we have really decided on Hendersonville. Lots of water (for us beach loving Floridians), small town feel (from what I'm told), and BEST of all was Merrol Hyde Magnet School (k-12)! You really should check it out! There is NOTHING like it here in Florida! A great big thanks to the reader who sent me the link to the school comparison web site!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 AM

I didn't know about that school. I will look into it. I have 4th and 2nd grader. I also have a baby girl. She won't start until three years from now. Everything is expensive in Florida.

I will also look into Hendersonville. Are the properties at a reasonable price?

Marilyn
morejont@bellsouth.net

Old 06-13-2007, 09:28 AM

HI,

I was looking into Murfreesboro but wanted to know what areas in Murfreesboro is a better area to live and the better schools. I'm also from Florida but I really don't know much about TN. I did see a map of Murfreesboro but I see some properties are more expensive than others in comparison to size.

THank you,
MaryLynn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville