Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:21 PM

58 posts, read 176,719 times

Advertisements

Sorry about the questions. I need to make a decision within two ddays and am just a little unsure of teh unknown. Regading tornados; how common are they. For example, if I asked 10 people randomly who have lived in teh Nashville area for the last 10 years, how many of them would likly say they have seen a tornado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
You don't have to apologize about the questions. That's why we're here. I was just kidding about the lizard thing. It just seemed like a random thing to be concerned about.
I've lived in this area for two decades and have never seen a tornado personally. There have been tornadoes in surrounding counties, but if you've been hearing a lot about them lately, it's probably because April is the start of "tornado season," and there was a bad one in Murfreesboro exactly one year ago.
The local TV meteorologists have excellent computer models for tracking tornadoes, and they get teased a lot for going overboard when even a thunderstorm comes through.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 PM

147 posts, read 334,501 times
If you asked 10 random people if they have ever seen a tornado, I would be surprised if any of them said they have. I have never seen a tornado myself, but they do happen. However, they are not THAT common. The main thing you have to worry about is wind damage from storms, because while usually not life threatening it can cause monetary damage to your house/vehicle. This is about 100,000 times more likely than your house being destroyed by a tornado. You sometimes have to worry about hail too, but it is very rare that it is big enough to cause damage to any of your property.

Really, most people that live here for a while are not concerned with tornadoes. They do happen occasionally, but the chances of you being hit by one very slim and there is nothing you can do about it anyway, so it's best not to get worked up about

Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 PM

597 posts, read 2,109,069 times
I've lived here 56 years and my experience has been limited with tornados. There was an EF1 that sort of dropped into my next door neighbor's backyard a few years back, traveled about a half-mile and disappeared. The storm woke me up at 3 a.m. and I ran onto my covered porch in my tighty-whities, took one look at the trees bending over, probably screeched in a girly-tone and ran back into the house. It was the next day the Weather Service reported it as a small tornado. The big storm of 97 or so which wreaked havoc on the east side was the closest I've ever been.

It's wise to know what to do and when, but really, if there are conditions that are conducive to tornado formation, you'll know it. The weather people are on the air non-stop during those conditions and you'd swear there' talking about the half-inch of snow which will send folks to the grocery in droves. But, during those, the only place you need to go is a safe place. Just research the topic and don't worry about it. April is here and that's the most troubling time when the north sends their cold air slamming down on our warm air. Always be aware, but for heaven sakes, don't freak out unless you need to.

Oh, and lizards. I think they're cute and they don't like you so they run and hide. We have no giant dinosaur type lizards around here. Besides, they eat bugs...and that's a good thing.

Come on down. You yankee folks are so welcome...even if you don't open a restaurant. lol. I live in a quiet established neighborhood (my home turf) and I'm surrounded by Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Minnesota, Iowa...I feel special being a native (rare) and I love my friends from other places. It makes for fun times making fun of each other. I love them all. In my book, you'll be most welcome.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:30 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
We live in Brentwood and are the only native TN people on our cul de sac. Transplants are common and welcome here. My daughter's friends families are from Philadelphia, Boston, etc. You have gotten great advice on this thread.
I have lived in TN most of my life and the few tornadoes I have seen were in the movie Twister.
They do happen, but the TV weather people keep you very well informed, and if it's coming close to you, you can take cover in a bathroom, basement, etc. It's not something that would deter me from moving here any more than a possible earthquake would keep me from moving to CA.
It is really humid here, but not as bad as New Orleans or Houston. I would give it a try. All of our neighbors here are really happy with Nashville/Brentwood and they are from all over the country. One neighbor recently had his job moved to another state, and he said he take a huge pay cut if necessary to keep his family in Nashville. And he's a transplant. This is a nice place to live.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
Don't worry about being a northerner. We are from CT & NY and felt welcome here from the start. We live in a town north of Nashville that is smaller than where you are looking and feel like we belong. We've been here 2 1/2 years and love it. After we left CT, they had 2 tornadoes touch down so it's not just limited to certain areas of the country. As someone said, you can always put in a tornado safe room if it gives you peace of mind.

I forgot to comment on the humidity. Having grown up on Long Island and then living in CT, I think the humdity is not bad at all down here. I think it all depends upon what area of the country you are coming from. My friends from California feel the humdity when I don't.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 AM

58 posts, read 176,719 times
All great advise. Thanks so much to everyone for sharing your thoughts! Okay, any suggestions on a subdivision with good schools in either Brentwood or Franklin? We woudl like at least an acre of land if possible. Price range is around $400,000. Thanks again!

Old 04-05-2010, 01:54 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,891 times
Locals do not like Northerners. Good luck if you do decide to move here, but be warned.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
Locals do not like Northerners. Good luck if you do decide to move here, but be warned.
Not sure of your experience...but one of my best friends is from New Jersey and has had a great experience here. Likewise I've got many neighbors who are from all parts of the country, including the Northeast, and they haven't had any issues either. I'm sure there are some Nashvillians who don't get it and are hostile...but I think they're the overwhelming minority.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Not sure of your experience...but one of my best friends is from New Jersey and has had a great experience here. Likewise I've got many neighbors who are from all parts of the country, including the Northeast, and they haven't had any issues either. I'm sure there are some Nashvillians who don't get it and are hostile...but I think they're the overwhelming minority.
It has been the same for me. Not one problem with a local whatsoever and I am from NY by way of FL and trust me, you can hear it loud and clear when I speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville