Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 07:11 AM

112 posts, read 381,331 times

Advertisements

I was happily surprised at the size of the Jewish Community in Nashville. I wonder if there are any places I could get a good bagel or corner beef sandwich (New York style). I have lived in NY and Chicago. How do Yankees like me adjust to Nashville living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:28 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,282,099 times
I know there are 2 places in Nashville to get Jewish food (Goldies and Noshville). I haven't been to them yet.

I think it just takes time to adjust to the friendly people, slower pace, etc. I'm orginally from New York and have lived here a year. I also enjoy not having to shovel the bottom of my driveway after a snowplow comes and puts all that thick icy mush at the bottom!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,158,232 times
Noshville's has a very good 'New York style' corned beef sandwich. Not quite Carnegie's in New York but still very good. The pastrami is very good too. Enjoy!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:43 AM

297 posts, read 1,079,135 times
Noshville also serves H&H bagels!! Only a true New Yorker would know what those are...

Old 10-30-2008, 01:08 PM

112 posts, read 381,331 times
Cool! I will have to check them out. Nashville seems like a nice alternative to Florida for folks like me getting a little older who don't like the northern winters but still like 4 seasons. I like the fact that the smokeys are not too far away also. I know a lot of the country musicians can tip their hats down and play Jazz also. I hope to visit Nashville soon and explore.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,961,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedzone View Post
Cool! I will have to check them out. Nashville seems like a nice alternative to Florida for folks like me getting a little older who don't like the northern winters but still like 4 seasons. I like the fact that the smokeys are not too far away also. I know a lot of the country musicians can tip their hats down and play Jazz also. I hope to visit Nashville soon and explore.
Nashville is a great alternative to FL. It's so much nicer, cleaner, better weather, and much nicer people. Lots of Floridians are running from the state. I was one of them. I am originally from NY and lived in FL quite a long time. It's over for FL. Way to many problems plaguing that state now. Not worth the move. This is a great state for retirement and to raise a family. Just my opinion, but there are plenty of other ex-Floridians that will agree with me. Good Luck in finding your retirement home!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:36 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,631,753 times
I'm originally from NJ. I lived there for 26 years and moved here in 94. You will have huge culture shock, but it will be a positive shock. You will appreciate the difference and will have no problem being accepted since there are so many people from all over the place who now call Nashville their home.

The one area you will be disappointed in is the food. I don't care how many place people recommend, you will never find a bagel or beef sandwich as good as the ones in the north. I have tried and eventually gave up. There certainly is some good food here, but it doesn't compare to food up North.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,338,224 times
I'm from MI/WI...I found no shortage of friendly people in the north...but I'm liking Nashville/Franklin as well. You'll do fine! I agree with Steve...the food isn't the same of course, but it's good!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:45 PM

290 posts, read 1,054,413 times
I don't think you will have any problems here. My wife is from up North and she married me, a southerner or Texan, to be more precise, and she seems to still be happy even after nine years of marriage.

She has involved herself with church, and several volunteer organizations, and gets along fine with everyone.

She is actually from South Dakota, so I don't know if that qualifies for being part of the North or the Mid West. They do talk like Canadians in South Dakota, and the people I talk to, when we are visiting, get a kick out of my southern accent.

Nashville is a meting pot, and you will find people from all over the world living here. That is what makes the place so interesting. If everyone was like me here in Nashville, this would be one boring place to live

Hope you enjoy it here and welcome to Middle Tennessee!
Buzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville