Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 AM

815 posts, read 2,017,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
I remember the blizzard of 93!! Metro sent all of us students home early that Friday before it even started snowing....lol......
And who can forget the ice storm of 94, OMG, now I didn't like that one. Snow is fun, Ice isn't. I remember my parents, who are educators, and other people telling me about a bad snow storm in like 1983 or 84 that came during school hours and trapped students at school till night time, i wasn't in school yet. Does anyone reacall that snow storm? Also they were telling me about when they where in grad school around 1977, 78, or 79 at MTSU there was a hudge blizzard, they were living in Lebanon at the time and traveling 231 to Murfreesboro. They said it was complete white out conditions, came all of a sudden, and to this day haven't seen that much snow at one time. Does anyone recall that snow storm in the late 70's?
What happen to all our snow??? I want it back!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Also, remember before 1998 a tornado watch was simply just a tornado watch, never really had any touch downs, until the two hudge ones that hit Nashville on April 16, 1998. Seems like since that date we have tornados and tornado threats all the time around here, every year.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 AM

116 posts, read 440,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Also, remember before 1998 a tornado watch was simply just a tornado watch, never really had any touch downs, until the two hudge ones that hit Nashville on April 16, 1998. Seems like since that date we have tornados and tornado threats all the time around here, every year.

We had just as many tornado watches, etc every year that I can remember prior to that. But, after the '98 tornado, people paid attention to them. I was 15 during the tornado. It went right over our house in Hermitage, and toppled 7 80' trees in our yard. Luckily, they all fell away from the house. I rode it out in the basement with our dog. My parents were downtown when it hit there. Scary times.

I remember the blizzard, and the ice storm. I was 10 during the blizzard of 93, and 11 during the ice storm of 94. I was halfway through my first year at Meigs Magnet when the ice storm hit. Our house was only without power for a few hours on the first night of the storm. But, when we finally went back to school, a week or so later, there were kids that lived in Joelton, who still had no power.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz83 View Post
We had just as many tornado watches, etc every year that I can remember prior to that. But, after the '98 tornado, people paid attention to them. I was 15 during the tornado. It went right over our house in Hermitage, and toppled 7 80' trees in our yard. Luckily, they all fell away from the house. I rode it out in the basement with our dog. My parents were downtown when it hit there. Scary times.

I remember the blizzard, and the ice storm. I was 10 during the blizzard of 93, and 11 during the ice storm of 94. I was halfway through my first year at Meigs Magnet when the ice storm hit. Our house was only without power for a few hours on the first night of the storm. But, when we finally went back to school, a week or so later, there were kids that lived in Joelton, who still had no power.
I was saying not many touched down as they do now, so frequently, until the one in 98.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:10 AM

76 posts, read 222,669 times
Quote:
And who can forget the ice storm of 94, OMG, now I didn't like that one. Snow is fun, Ice isn't. I remember my parents, who are educators, and other people telling me about a bad snow storm in like 1983 or 84 that came during school hours and trapped students at school till night time, i wasn't in school yet. Does anyone reacall that snow storm? Also they were telling me about when they where in grad school around 1977, 78, or 79 at MTSU there was a hudge blizzard, they were living in Lebanon at the time and traveling 231 to Murfreesboro. They said it was complete white out conditions, came all of a sudden, and to this day haven't seen that much snow at one time. Does anyone recall that snow storm in the late 70's?
What happen to all our snow??? I want it back!!!!!

Ick....I forgot about the ice storm of 94...lol, even though my step father used to work for NES.......needless to say we did not see him for most of Feb of that year I believe......lol

Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM

9 posts, read 23,284 times
I grew up in Nashville in the late 70's and 80's.

I remember going "skatin" Friday night or Saturday at Brentwood Skate Center. I think the rink is still there.
Buying all my school clothes at Castners in Harding Mall. Now we have to travel to Cool Springs. The smell of carmel popcorn walking into HM.
Getting dropped off at HH Mall on Saturdays. Playing pacman in the arcade.
Working at Opryland in the summer as a sweeper. I had to sweep cigarette butts and clean bathrooms but I was a "greeter".
Brentwood was a small town with some wealthy people but Nashville had everything.
The polyester watch on the radio during Country music week.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workinghard View Post

I remember going "skatin" Friday night or Saturday at Brentwood Skate Center. I think the rink is still there.
Buying all my school clothes at Castners in Harding Mall. Now we have to travel to Cool Springs. The smell of carmel popcorn walking into HM.
Working at Opryland in the summer as a sweeper. I had to sweep cigarette butts and clean bathrooms but I was a "greeter".
Brentwood was a small town with some wealthy people but Nashville had everything.
I loved the carmel popcorn store in HM....lol....It is funny that you mentioned that, actually thought of that strore and mall the other day. I was at a mall in Bloomington, IL that still has one of those types of stores still in operation and it made me think of the one in HM....

Speaking of malls, does anyone remember when Sears at HH had a snackbar in it on the lower level?? I remember smelling the popcorn upon entering the store from the entrance near the auto center.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workinghard View Post

I remember the caramel popcorn at Harding Mall, they also had other flavors too. I remember that store sat on the corner across from Marshalls. That was a nice mall.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
I loved the carmel popcorn store in HM....lol....It is funny that you mentioned that, actually thought of that strore and mall the other day. I was at a mall in Bloomington, IL that still has one of those types of stores still in operation and it made me think of the one in HM....

Speaking of malls, does anyone remember when Sears at HH had a snackbar in it on the lower level?? I remember smelling the popcorn upon entering the store from the entrance near the auto center.
I dont remember the snack bar, but I do rememer one of the department stores having Kristy Cookies. I remember HH having 2 sit down resturants, one was Morrison Cafeteria and Ruby Tuesdays, that closed in the early 2000's.
BTW, went to the town hall meeting about Hickory Hollow mall, lots of great plans for it, so hopefully it will come back to life how it used to be, wish everything else in the city could also.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I dont remember the snack bar, but I do rememer one of the department stores having Kristy Cookies. I remember HH having 2 sit down resturants, one was Morrison Cafeteria and Ruby Tuesdays, that closed in the early 2000's.
BTW, went to the town hall meeting about Hickory Hollow mall, lots of great plans for it, so hopefully it will come back to life how it used to be, wish everything else in the city could also.

that is awesome!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville