Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:38 PM

297 posts, read 1,079,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'm with BP300 I had never even heard of Belmont or Lipscomb before I moved to TN. For an MBA degree you either do it for the prestige (Sloan, Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, etc... ) or to learn something in your current position. I would go to either Belmont or Lipscomb if I just wanted to "learn" but not if I was looking to advance my career outside of my current company. None of the top consulting firms (Bain, McKinsey, BCG) hire from either school, heck they don't even really hire out of Vanderbilt and yet a huge percentage of Fortune 500 executives are alums of those firms.
Exactly. Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,140 times
I know this is an old thread, but I had to mention this: Consulting firms like Deloitte, Booz, and Bain recruit at Vanderbilt for sure -- heavily, in some cases. I'm not sure about McKinsey, and I think Boston Consulting does but don't recall for sure. Some of my classmates have already accepted offers from them (master's degree students in HRD and Org. Leadership). MBA students are also recruited, and they make significantly more because they're hired as consultants rather than analysts.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Bain recruited my cousin from Vanderbilt. She went to HS in a small town in West TN, then to Vandy, then to work for Bain for a few years and then to a prestigious Masters/PhD program. And now she is asked to speak at International Economic conferences around the globe and has articles published in respected journals. She was even offered jobs to be a professor at a couple of the Ivies in the Northeast but turned them down because she wanted to return to the South for the weather.

Bain absolutely recruits from Vanderbilt.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 12-09-2010 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Bain recruited my cousin from Vanderbilt. She went to HS in a small town in West TN, then to Vandy, then to work for Bain for a few years and then to a prestigious Masters/PhD program. And now she is asked to speak at International Economic conferences around the globe and has articles published in respected journals. She was even offered jobs to be a professor at a couple of the Ivies in the Northeast but turned them down because she wanted to return to the South for the weather.

Bain absolutely recruits from Vanderbilt.
they do for undergrad, but we were discussing MBA programs. The big three recruiting firms cast a wider net for analyst positions (2-3 year post undergrad positions) with the expectation that these analysts go on to top business programs. They don't hire all of the analysts back post MBA, very few get promoted to consultant without getting a MBA and they do hire a lot that weren't in consulting pre-MBA from the top 5 schools. It is harder to get a position at one of the top 3 firms coming out of Duke MBA than Harvard and Duke is top 10 just not top 5.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 16,787 times
BP300 and septimus...It looks like the guy is moving to Nashville and wants to work in Nashville's biggest industry which is healthcare. I'm not sure either one of your posts are relevant to the conversation. He doesn't need an MBA from Harvard to work for HCA. There are thousands of people who advance their careers with MBA's from Vandy, Belmont, and Lipscomb. The idea that you are supposed to get your MBA just for the prestige or to learn something in your current position is way off base.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,140 times
Deloitte holds its MBA-level human capital competition at Vandy. If that's not a prestigious enough firm for you, then you need to blow some of the snottiness out of your nose.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,292,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
Belmont and Lipscomb are only reputable in Tennessee. If you plan to move, your MBA will be almost worthless.
I disagree. My son is a Belmont grad. His MBA was quickly recognized when he went into the work force. He is currently completing his PhD at Yale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville