Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:59 PM

32 posts, read 102,802 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'll be moving to Nashville for a new position and decided I would like to pursue getting my MBA(Health care focus). The ultimate goal is to move away from general IT to something within the Health Care Industry (IT or not).

Unfortunately Vanderbilt does not offer a part time evening program.

Can anyone give there thoughts and/or opinions on the part time programs offered by Belmont vs Lipscomb?

FYI - I'm aware Belmont is nationally ranked (18..I think), but I wanted to get real opinions from those local to the area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,987 times
Belmont for sure. MBA program ranking is extremely important when approaching large employers. It can even be your ticket to the initial interview (since so many cos. are using resume readers that scan for key schools/words).

I have a friend who teaches graduate business school at a non ranked(well, low ranked MBA program), yet expensive liberal arts university and he has often mentioned that he feels badly for the students who are paying a fortune for a degree that won't mean nearly as much. I would not spend the money/rack up the debt for an MBA from a school not in the top 20. The sad thing is that the non ranked schools charge almost the same tuition in many cases.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the insight. I was HOPING it wouldn't matter...lol...only because Lipscomb seems to have more options and shorter course times etc.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,987 times
I think you are making the right decision by going with a well ranked MBA program. good luck

Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 20,093 times
I work for Lipscomb University, so I have a built-in bias, but I do concede that both Belmont and Lipscomb have great programs. Although Belmont is in the ranking you mention, Lipscomb has also been consistently raising the MBA accreditation standards in recent years to soon join the ranks of nationally ranked schools - it's only a matter of time. The Lipscomb MBA degree and name is very valuable, especially in Nashville and the greater Southeast. Recently, Lipscomb University was named in the top 25 of best master’s degree institutions in the South, according to the U.S. News and World Report’s “2010 America’s Best Colleges” guidebook (Full story - National Awards & Honors - Lipscomb University - Lipscomb University). If Lipscomb fits your needs, I would at least give it a look. You might be surprised what you find! Best of luck with your decision!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM

One more point to note - the Lipscomb MBA has a Healthcare Management concentration. I'm not sure if Belmont does - obviously you will check this out before your decision. All the best!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Hi Eldell,

Thanks for the information regarding Lipscomb, I wasn't aware of the report you noted above. Belmont does have a Healthcare concentration. It sounds like I'll just need to meet with both schools and see which one feels better to me.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 AM

297 posts, read 1,078,489 times
Belmont and Lipscomb are only reputable in Tennessee. If you plan to move, your MBA will be almost worthless.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks so much SB_Nikki - I think that is definitely the right approach. I'm not sure why BP300 thinks Belmont and Lipscomb degrees would not be worth anything outside of Tennessee. Lipscomb has graduates who are working in major corporations and in successful positions globally, as I'm sure Belmont does too. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldell1 View Post
Thanks so much SB_Nikki - I think that is definitely the right approach. I'm not sure why BP300 thinks Belmont and Lipscomb degrees would not be worth anything outside of Tennessee. Lipscomb has graduates who are working in major corporations and in successful positions globally, as I'm sure Belmont does too. Good luck!
I'm with BP300 I had never even heard of Belmont or Lipscomb before I moved to TN. For an MBA degree you either do it for the prestige (Sloan, Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, etc... ) or to learn something in your current position. I would go to either Belmont or Lipscomb if I just wanted to "learn" but not if I was looking to advance my career outside of my current company. None of the top consulting firms (Bain, McKinsey, BCG) hire from either school, heck they don't even really hire out of Vanderbilt and yet a huge percentage of Fortune 500 executives are alums of those firms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville