Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Advertisements

Here's a little nuthatch that was hanging around in my backyard this afternoon. He blended in so well with the tree trunk that he was difficult to spot sometimes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,350 times
Never underestimate the weird things you can see in northern MN. Was walking by my office window and heard a weird sound outside, followed by another equally strange sound. Pushed away the momentary heart attack ( I'm not a fan of the dark and sounds) and went to peek out. At the edge of the garage light I see a huge stray cat and a deer in a standoff. The cat is doing a hiss growl at the deer, deer is pawing the ground and doing that weird high pitched coughing snort sort of sound they do. I was content to watch this for a few minutes until I realized the deer was pawing at the outer edge of my garden. "hey you little bastards, take it into someone else's yard!" The standoff stops abruptly, and they both go their seperate ways in a huff. Hands down the weirdest thing I've seen.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
It is, indeed, a lovely picture, bjh! Plenty of nature in it!
Thanks, pam! Back atcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
Never underestimate the weird things you can see in northern MN. Was walking by my office window and heard a weird sound outside, followed by another equally strange sound. Pushed away the momentary heart attack ( I'm not a fan of the dark and sounds) and went to peek out. At the edge of the garage light I see a huge stray cat and a deer in a standoff. The cat is doing a hiss growl at the deer, deer is pawing the ground and doing that weird high pitched coughing snort sort of sound they do. I was content to watch this for a few minutes until I realized the deer was pawing at the outer edge of my garden. "hey you little bastards, take it into someone else's yard!" The standoff stops abruptly, and they both go their seperate ways in a huff. Hands down the weirdest thing I've seen.
Funny and well written.

I ahd never heard a deer. So I looked this up. Apparently a fallow deer at a petting zoo.

YouTube - ‪Deer noise‬‏

Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,350 times
Here's the sound bjh- it was recorded early in the morning, so you can't see the deer, but it's a better catch of the irritated sound they do. A little bit creepy to hear out of the blue in the dark

YouTube - ‪Deer..snort, weeze, and stomp encounter..‬‏

Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post

Great story, light_shimmer! Made me laugh!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
A tree getting it's autumn leaves last year. Hard to believe right now that it will be cool in a few months.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Okay, so this one is so basic.......

We are in drought conditions with watering restrictions.

I watered the boxwood in my courtyard last night and was amazed at how green and shiny (almost happy) they were this morning.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:57 AM

221 posts, read 1,194,451 times
It's a very crittery day - maybe because it's so hot?

I just watched a deer run out of then back into our woodlot.

Then watched a marmot run down the sidewalk, across the gravel road, up the steps to the porch of the general store, then jump down and go under the porch.

They're usually not active during the day - it's probably trying to find a cooler place to hang out.

I hope it's not distemper - they've found raccoons with distemper in a town about an hour away. Do marmots get distemper??

Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Were those dinosaurs the same ones from PeeWee's Big Adventure? Funny.

This little squirrel is found in a local park. The first time I visited, I felt something tap my leg and I looked down. I jumped when I saw him sitting at my feet. I felt like an idiot because anytime he would move it startled me. I have a strange fear that squirrels will run up my pant leg (too many cartoons?).
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-nuts.jpg  

Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Were those dinosaurs the same ones from PeeWee's Big Adventure? Funny.

This little squirrel is found in a local park. The first time I visited, I felt something tap my leg and I looked down. I jumped when I saw him sitting at my feet. I felt like an idiot because anytime he would move it startled me. I have a strange fear that squirrels will run up my pant leg (too many cartoons?).
Awww, what a cute little guy, spinx!

I had a whole menagerie in my yard this past weekend. As I sat working at my PC on Saturday, I had several species of birds in my backyard, as well as several squirrels, a bunny, and a couple of chipmunks. At one point, a chipmunk was chasing a mourning dove on the ground. It looked way funny! The dove was just too lazy to fly, I guess, and the chipper would sneak up behind the bird and goose him (or should I say "dove him"?). The bird would jump and then take a couple of hops ahead and start pecking the ground again. Then the chipmunk would sneak up again. This went on for several minutes and made me lol! I couldn't get a clear shot of both animals together, but here are separate pics of the participants in this little game:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature