Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
DH took his dog, Ritzie, to camp in the LT Murray Wilderness area in the mountains south of Thorpe, WA while he participated in Field Day 2013 this weekend. They were supposed to return today. I received a call from that area's repeater station operator around 9:50 AM to tell me DH was on the radio and had a message for me: "He'd lost Ritzie this morning and had been looking for her but could not find her." I quickly set up a place to meet him so we could return and look for her together. It took me just over an hour to get there, and another half hour for us to reach his campsite. I took Bigun in hopes that he might catch the scent of whatever might've drawn her away. We started following his nose.

As he led us away from the camp, DH was telling me how Ritz never went more than ten yards from the tent all day yesterday, except for the time they both went out for a walk, so he did not think anything of putting her out to relieve herself this morning. As I listened and we searched, I noticed fresh cat scat -- very large cat, and very fresh.

We followed Bigun's nose beyond any distance Ritz could make on her own, and I came across more scat, some older. I became very nervous about scouting further out. We circled back, taking different routes. More sign. She'd been wearing her red coat, so we felt certain we would see her, but there was no red anywhere. DH seemed to think if we just kept looking we would have to find her, but it had already been seven hours, by the time we searched another three. She was gone, and with that much sign in the area there was no way she went that distance without help.

My poor DH is feeling so awful and there is nothing I can do to help take away this pain. He is a city guy, and I don't think it has ever truly hit him before now that wilderness areas are not just pretty. He knows now, but our poor Ritzie pays the price.

In memory of Ritzie

I missed this...I'm so sorry! I hope in the past few weeks you and your husband have been healing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Attack of the calamari Never heard of squid attacking a diver before.

Link to video: MSN Entertainment -

Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 PM
bjh

Recently saw a little creek running fast with some post storm drainage.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:57 PM
bjh

Happily some people were able to find a dog lost in the wilderness.

Teens follow message in the woods to rescue lost dog - TODAY.com

Old 07-27-2013, 07:50 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
DH and I kayaked the southeast end of Lake Sammamish yesterday morning and saw one heron in flight, a perched mature bald eagle, four flying bald eagles, and one immature bald eagles. Fish don't have a chance over there!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:02 PM
bjh

Got closer to a vine on a fence yesterday and noticed it's covered with little flowers.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Yikes, I almost hit a bald eagle with my car today! Or actually, it almost hit me.

Was driving up to Ely on the forest road, and saw the eagle perched on and eating a dead deer by the side of the road. It started flying up just as I was driving by, and we missed each other by inches.

OMG, would I have been arrested?

There seem to be a lot of bald eagles in my area (NE MN) - they're often seen eating deer (or whatever) that have been recently hit by cars. Makes me feel guilty to drive a car at all - if I have to go that route I try to drive midday when most other species aren't wandering around near the roads.

Kind of gross, though - our National Symbol is a carrion eater. Maybe that itself symbolizes something . . . ?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:38 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
When I was going out to my car this morning, there was chatter in the big tree across the street. I walked over to it and looked up, but there are so many leaves all I could see was one little critter chasing another, lickety-split.

They were running up and down the tree and jumping from one branch to another so fast that I couldn't focus on them. I had to stand there for a couple minutes to determine that they weren't chipmunks like I originally thought. They were little baby squirrels. Cute as could be - squeaking and making noise. One even fell out of the tree, but got up, shook off and continued the chase.

It brought back good memories of the squirrels (and feeding them) on the back patio of the last apartment.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,609 times
Saw a squirrel about to cross a road that has at least 1 roadkill everyday at lunch.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 AM

454 posts, read 793,947 times
Found a lovely butterfly this morning laying in the grass unable to fly any longer... it's poor wings tattered. Made me feel so sad. I placed it on some blooming flowers; maybe it will remember a sunny Spring day, when it could flit around feeding on nectar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature