Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Wilfong View Post
The leaves on my black walnut tree are already turning yellow. That's early for that tree. I also noticed my pear trees are changing too. Could it be... just maybe... FALL IS COMING?!?!!!
FALLSOME !!!!! Yippeeee !!!!
Tell that tree to stop that nonsense right now. According to the almanac: "Fall for 2012 begins in the Northern Hemisphere on September 22, 10:49 A.M. EDT" -- and not ONE minute sooner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
GA is pretty far north, but possibly they are reacting to the change in pressure brought on by Isaac. My sister is the cat keeper at Key West's Hemingway House (where it just passed over last night) and she tells me that its "wake" was supposed to be hitting northern FL pretty hard.
I had forgotten about the Hemingway House! Your sister has a great job! I'm glad Isaac was kind to the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Here's a picture I took of turtles and a goose.
Wonderful pic! I see four turtles and the beautiful goose is watching!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Wonderful pic! I see four turtles and the beautiful goose is watching!
I just love you D Kitty. Here and other parts of the country people set dogs on the Canadian geese to keep them out, and you see them as beautiful. I like seeing the world through your eyes.

The chickadees are frolicking in my stand of sumac, photinia, and the honeysuckle. Fall may not be here, yet, but the birds are more frisky than they've been in awhile!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
silly cougar. was he looking to gamble?

Mountain lion caught in downtown Reno after trying to enter Harrah's

Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
silly cougar. was he looking to gamble?
Probably hungry. Poor thing. Sadly, once a big mammal finds themselves in that predicament, they end up eventually being destroyed. They lose their fear of mankind and won't stop coming back. Probably it has been feeding off of irresponsible people's trash and acquired a taste for it. It just breaks my heart.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Probably hungry. Poor thing. Sadly, once a big mammal finds themselves in that predicament, they end up eventually being destroyed. They lose their fear of mankind and won't stop coming back. Probably it has been feeding off of irresponsible people's trash and acquired a taste for it. It just breaks my heart.
too often that is what happens. but this one appears pretty healthy and well-fed. fortunately he's ok and was tagged and released back into the wild.

Cougar that tried to enter Reno Harrah's released | Reno Gazette-Journal | rgj.com

Old 08-28-2012, 12:56 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,125,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Coyotes are everywhere now, even in the cities. Another reason not to allow our pets to roam.

I live right in town, and see coyotes in town once in a while.

Earlier this year, there was a fox family living in a backyard just down the street from my home. I saw her in my backyard twice in three days, just stolling along in broad daylight. A neighbor called the Dept. of Natural Resources to relocate the mother and her kits. She was beautiful, but looked so out of place in my backyard!

Quote:
That is SO unfair! I love foxes and it is rare I ever see them... I think maybe four times in the last four years -- and they come to your yard!? I don't suppose the DNR would fly them over to here?
Just a little bit of FWIT info regarding Foxes (and some other animals we see occasionaly) & Rabies!!

Going back to 2002, USDA figures show the following as to the "%" of recorded cases and the source.

6% of the common Fox carry Rabies.
4% for cats and,
1% for dogs.

HOWEVER: Racoons are at 38%
Skunks are at 28%
Bats are at 19%
Coyotes are at 3%

Interesting....................

Old 08-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,125,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
too often that is what happens. but this one appears pretty healthy and well-fed. fortunately he's ok and was tagged and released back into the wild.

Cougar that tried to enter Reno Harrah's released | Reno Gazette-Journal | rgj.com
Similiar situation occured at the Missoula Airport last Sept........(true story-was in the paper)................................

Very early in the morning of a weekday, a departing passenger started to go thru the electric entrance door to the Terminal and was confronted by a Black Bear. He backed up and called security who in turn called the F& G folks who arrived shortly, tranquilized the bear and released it in the near by mountains.

Since it had triggered the electric door to gain entrance.........they figured it wanted to catch a flight "south" for the winter instead of hibernating

Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Just a little bit of FWIT info regarding Foxes (and some other animals we see occasionaly) & Rabies!!

Going back to 2002, USDA figures show the following as to the "%" of recorded cases and the source.

6% of the common Fox carry Rabies.
4% for cats and,
1% for dogs.

HOWEVER: Racoons are at 38%
Skunks are at 28%
Bats are at 19%
Coyotes are at 3%

Interesting....................
Cats are more rabid than coyotes! Oh MY! D Kitty, don't let yours out to play!

(Nice to see you back, Griz, I was starting to think I was going to have to come looking for you....)

Old 08-28-2012, 02:51 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,310,466 times
Default Snow???

(Big, enormous gulp) Sssnow? In August? Dang, can you tell I'm a southern gal?
I love to look at it, and I even like to play in it for a little bit, but.... well.... it's so (((COLD!)))
Just look at my teeth chatterin at the mere thought of all that snow! (grins)
We get snow here too but never in August! Mercy me! But now I'm thinkin how much fun it would be to have a snow ball fight! AWESOME! As hot and muggy as it is outside right now, that actually sounds really good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature