Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM

352 posts, read 1,004,559 times

Advertisements

My friends and I were walking along the park and we saw about 6 raccoons. There was an old man that came by and sat on a bench and threw some food over to the raccoons. The raccoons were definitely trying to get the most food, but for the most part it seemed civil for a while, until one of the raccoons, the only one of the 6 that didn't have a tail, started becoming aggressive. He made angry sounds and seemed to bully two of the raccoons away from the food and drive them away. He also hit and swiped at approaching birds (seagulls and geese) that tried to wander their way towards where the food was.

Basically, that tailless raccoon seemed to have issues. The other raccoons seem friendly towards other raccoons and humans, but that raccoon was such a badass. Made hissing sounds and was an all around bully.
What causes this behavior? Is it because the mean raccoon didn't have a tail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
My friends and I were walking along the park and we saw about 6 raccoons. There was an old man that came by and sat on a bench and threw some food over to the raccoons. The raccoons were definitely trying to get the most food, but for the most part it seemed civil for a while, until one of the raccoons, the only one of the 6 that didn't have a tail, started becoming aggressive. He made angry sounds and seemed to bully two of the raccoons away from the food and drive them away. He also hit and swiped at approaching birds (seagulls and geese) that tried to wander their way towards where the food was.

Basically, that tailless raccoon seemed to have issues. The other raccoons seem friendly towards other raccoons and humans, but that raccoon was such a badass. Made hissing sounds and was an all around bully.
What causes this behavior? Is it because the mean raccoon didn't have a tail?
No, it is not because the so called "mean raccoon" didn't have a tail. Correlation does not mean causation.

Animals have a pecking order and when in groups often have roles. When humans introduce food to animals it often changes the natural behavior had the raccoons foraged for naturally occuring food sources. Clue: don't feed the wild animals.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, it is not because the so called "mean raccoon" didn't have a tail. Correlation does not mean causation.

Animals have a pecking order and when in groups often have roles. When humans introduce food to animals it often changes the natural behavior had the raccoons foraged for naturally occuring food sources. Clue: don't feed the wild animals.
So true. Someone I know has a friend living in Northern California. He's sort of a hermit type of person and found friendship with the animals on his large parcel of land. He began to feed a family of raccoons. They liked their feeding time. Well, not too long after a lone dog wandered onto the property. The raccoons being very territorial, killed that big dog and ate every inch of him. His remains were found the following day. I had no idea that raccoons would do something like that.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 AM

352 posts, read 1,004,559 times
Oh wow. On retrospect, I think the old guy just intended to feed the birds, but when the raccoons approached him, he threw some food their way not knowing the dangers.

Thankfully we hightailed out of there when that raccoon started swiping away and making angry sounds when confronting one of the raccoons that tried coming back to the food area.
We saw the old guy getting up too, so hopefully he left asap!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:

I don't know a lot about raccoons but it may be possible that whatever caused him to lose his tail (such as being in a trap and needing to bite off his tail to survive) or being abused may have caused him to be "angrier" than he was before that happened. I know that I would be pretty grumpy after those situations. LOL

Excellent point about not feeding wild animals.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I don't know a lot about raccoons but it may be possible that whatever caused him to lose his tail (such as being in a trap and needing to bite off his tail to survive) or being abused may have caused him to be "angrier" than he was before that happened. I know that I would be pretty grumpy after those situations. LOL

Excellent point about not feeding wild animals.
Aside from companion animals that are bred and trained to interact with humans and read their moods or emotions, I try not to be an anthropomorphist. YMMV

Anthropomorphism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Anthropomorphism or personification is any attribution of human characteristics (or characteristics assumed to belong only to humans) to other animals, non-living things, phenomena, material states, objects or abstract concepts, such as organizations, governments, spirits or deities.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Aside from companion animals that are bred and trained to interact with humans and read their moods or emotions, I try not to be an anthropomorphist. YMMV

Anthropomorphism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you. As I was writing my response I was trying to remember that word (anthropomorphism) but my mind went blank.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:16 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Back in 2005 we had squirrel proof bird feeders. Every morning we were missing some of the black oily sunflower seeds. My wife thought that it was a squirrel that got up early – squirrel proof bird feeders are not really squirrel proof. I told her that it was a nocturnal – because I did not think that squirrels got up before the sun rose. Every time I got up in the night I would shine a flashlight on the bird feeder. We finally found our culprits. We set up a security system that would notify us when the raccoons were at our feeder.

My wife started hanging out the window and taking pictures in the middle of the night. She also loved to play with the pictures and started a blog: Marie's Raccoons Most of the picture have at least one real picture. Some are entirely real pictures.

And yes; we saw many cases of a dominate male or a female with young that would not leave others eat. We even watched a standoff with a large raccoon and a four point buck – neither wanted to give up.

Most of the pictures were taken at only four or five feet from the bird feeder. The window was about five feet from the ground and the bird feeder was about five or six feet high. The raccoons became accustomed to the camera's flash. Opossum's are a little harder to shoot with the camera.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Coons are cute in the way they beat up on each other at the food bowl. They slap each other on the top of the head trying to deny food to each other. This "angry" coon seems to be the only one doing what is natural to them in your story. I'm more surprised the other ones were not doing it to.

lifelongMOgal is correct that they have a pecking order but those lower on it do try their best to move up. They don't really fight, it's mostly like "hey I am here now and you should know better" hit they give each other.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I prefer not shooting either raccoons or opossum with a camera. A gun is much better.

I find neither raccoons or opossum cute - they are nasty, snarling, trash diggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature