Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,953,078 times

Advertisements

Says they are looking to take 200 or 300 in 2 days. Somethings not adding up!
I've got no problem with hunting or trapping coyotes since they are so prolific, but a contest is a bit too crass for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,252,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Not really, adult sheep and calves or foals, but adult horses and cattle are way out of coyote range. Big tom cougars will only rarely target grown horses or cattle, the risk is just too high. Wolves prefer to avoid large dangerous targets that can kill or injure them, and a wolf is triple the weight of a coyote. Even adult deer are tough prey for coyotes. An adult buck wearing a rack can easily fend off one or two coyotes, and a doe defending a fawn will kick and stomp a coyote or bobcat to death. Predators have a high sense of risk/reward, and wolves and coyotes are masters at sizing up a situation and backing off from risky ones and exploiting ones in which they have an edge.

Contrary to popular belief, coyotes only occasionally form packs, they do not have the complex social structure that wolves have. Coyotes usually hunt alone or in male/female pairs, packs are usually family members, parents and young.
Around here in Mo. yotes will eat the butt out of a cow having a calf.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,721,659 times
Coyotes attacked a friend of mines dogs while we were mountain biking in Prescott, AZ. She is a professional mountain bike racer and was the ride leader so she let everyone else go ahead to make sure no one got left behind. She was by herself when they charged out of the bushes and attacked her 2 fully grown 50lb ridgebacks. They didnt back down until myself and a few other riders came back and started advancing on them.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,252,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Coyotes attacked a friend of mines dogs while we were mountain biking in Prescott, AZ. She is a professional mountain bike racer and was the ride leader so she let everyone else go ahead to make sure no one got left behind. She was by herself when they charged out of the bushes and attacked her 2 fully grown 50lb ridgebacks. They didnt back down until myself and a few other riders came back and started advancing on them.
THAT WAS SOME TOUGH yotes. Are you sure they were coyotes. How big were the coyotes? How many were there?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,721,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
THAT WAS SOME TOUGH yotes. Are you sure they were coyotes. How big were the coyotes? How many were there?
There were about six of them if I remember correctly and they were definitely coyotes. We were riding the granite basin trails when we heard her call for help. Me and a few other riders came around a corner and saw them tentatively advancing on the dogs and the dogs snarling and growling back at them. Amy had picked up her bike and was holding it out in front of her as a weapon. She's a little lady, not more then 5' about 105lbs (all muscle of course). As soon as they saw us (men in the 6' 200lb range give or take and two other women) they split. It was an eye opening experience. I now carry a sheathed 8" hunting knife in my camelbak, even if I'm riding one of the relatively urban trails in the Phoenix area. I like the other posters idea about mace. I may get bottle of that and stick in my pack as well.

That experience made me much more conscious of the fact that when I'm out in mountains I'm in their world, not mine. Thinking back I've heard of mountain lion attacks in Sabino Canyon near Tucson as well as mountain lion attacks and deaths in the California Coastal Range. I'm an experienced hiker and outdoors enthusiast and I think of how stupid it was of me to not carry some kind of weapon with me all those years.

Last edited by Scottay; 12-06-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,495,163 times
I have heard of a number of mountain lion attacks specifically with bikers, the bike traveling by fast brings on their drive to chase and attack. I have seen many many coyotes, but strangly enough, never more than 1 at a time. I have heard packs of them in the dark, just never seen a group like that. Those dogs were very lucky that they didn't get hurt or killed.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:24 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,956,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes you most definately should be concerned . Get yourself a shot gun and or a handgun and stay aware and alert and please dont have your dogs out there with you . You should only have to worry about yourself , I would leave my dogs in the house while im gardening and be careful when you turn your back . I know plenty of ppl who live in the country and they are constantly on guard over the wolves and coyotes .
Oh for heavens sake. Talk about overreacting! I lived in the country for years surrounded by hundreds of acres of forests, meadows, etc. I had 9 dogs who ran free plus 4 cats, also who would come in and out as they pleased. And though I heard coyotes howling almost every night, not once did any of my animals come to harm or have any close calls.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,136,478 times
you were lucky-others have had different experiences and are entitled to their opinions.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,453,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
you were lucky-others have had different experiences and are entitled to their opinions.
Concur - where my sister lives is an urban area in a hilly part of N San Diego County, no one is able to keep outdoor cats because the coyotes eat them. They even kill their own - my sister found a dead juvenile coyote in her front yard. Scarcity of prey will cause them to attack things they normally wouldn't if they weren't starving.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
And your sister knows for a fact (saw it happen) that the coyotes killed the dead juvenile coyote rather than, say, a feral dog (or even some domestic dogs packing up - now, THERE's something dangerous, that scares me a heck of a lot more than coyotes!).

But I agree scarcity of natural prey will cause anything to attack whatever it can get to it. Even humans will do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature