Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

It is very common for birds and other wildlife to be out of place in movie scenes, in terms of habitat or range. Here is a website that lists some offending birds:

WebSpawner - How did that bird get there?

This is partly due to films often being shot in locations quite different from that of the story. More often, it occurs because the foley editor dubs in bird sounds to further clutter the sound track for atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
My degrees are in entomology and I almost laugh out loud in theaters when a tarantula crawls on someone and it's supposed to be dangerous. If you don't like spiders, it could definitely be frightening, but tarantulas are not very dangerous to humans, and the worst problem with them is that they have urticating (stinging) hairs on their abdomens that they can flick onto your skin with their legs, and the hairs are very irritating.

In The Mummy with Brendan Fraser there was a scene that had a swarm of some kind of beetles (scarabs, I believe) that were supposed to be dangerous, but the beetles shown were plant eaters.

The most obvious mistakes, though, are completely incorrect plant communities. There are an awful lot of southern California endemic plants in movies that take place in the midwest and east coast.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
In the Kubrick flick "Full Metal Jacket", Vietnam is recreated in a Hollywood studios, and it's obvious the palm trees are plastic, not only that , they are fake date trees that don't grow in Vietnam but in the Arabian deserts!
one of the reasons I didn't like thiat film.
In another (French) movie, the action is said to happen at Christmas time in Paris, and the trees have their foliage and everything is summer-green! grotesque!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
My degrees are in entomology and I almost laugh out loud in theaters when a tarantula crawls on someone and it's supposed to be dangerous. If you don't like spiders, it could definitely be frightening, but tarantulas are not very dangerous to humans, and the worst problem with them is that they have urticating (stinging) hairs on their abdomens that they can flick onto your skin with their legs, and the hairs are very irritating.

In The Mummy with Brendan Fraser there was a scene that had a swarm of some kind of beetles (scarabs, I believe) that were supposed to be dangerous, but the beetles shown were plant eaters.

The most obvious mistakes, though, are completely incorrect plant communities. There are an awful lot of southern California endemic plants in movies that take place in the midwest and east coast.
similarly, all the reality shows that have giant emperor scorpions crawling around on someone. you'd have 1000 times better chance of incurring harm from handling a gerbil

Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
I always laugh at all the birds whose calls are dubbed, often by the regal-sounding red-tailed hawk. This happens frequently with bald eagles because people seem to think their chirpy voices are somehow not impressive enough. I've also heard red-tailed hawk calls dubbed for vultures, which are all but silent safe for the occasional grunt.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:27 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
In almost every movie scene ever filmed, whenever a big cat is shown attacking, stalking, or even approaching a person it always very conveniently roars, growls, snarls, hisses, pauses, or otherwise gives apple warning of it's presence. In reality, a stalking feline in attack mode is in total deadly silence. A cat that is in a bluff or threatening mode may make noise, such as a snarling lion, but when a cat means serious business it is silent.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:06 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
The OP seems to be referring more to fauna than flora but I had mentioned earlier in another forum that in the old John Ford movie Grapes of Wrath, a eucalyptus tree is seen growing alongside the road where Tom Joad (Henry Fonda) meets up with his old friend near Joad's Sallisaw, Oklahoma home. The scene was set in 1930.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM

884 posts, read 1,406,092 times
Indiana Jones and Last Crusade. In the beginning scene, Indiana climbs double Arch in Arches National Park in Utah and peer down into a cave. Only problem is, there is no cave there. Only miles of flat land.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:07 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
I always join in the laughter when a Kookaburra is used to represent generic jungle sounds, especially when not in Australia. And I'll second the amusement over Red-tailed Hawk calls being used for any bird-of-prey.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:14 PM

30,528 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Little House on the Prairie- I don't remember the episode but picking strawberries in autumn off a bush.

whoda thunk it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature