Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:58 PM

275 posts, read 420,295 times

Advertisements

Whatever it is, I have not heard one for quite a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
I heard them, too. The sounds came from the forest at the dawns. But my guess was they were the wild doves. I lived on a Chinese island.
Owl calls are quite distinctive. Unlike doves the call will bring the hair on your neck up. It a deep predatory tone. And the owl is a bringer of a message. Not a good one. Remember "I heard the owl call my name?"
Doves have a softer tone and they call at times owls usually dont. Full daylight hours. And no spook factor in the tone.

Last edited by NVplumber; 07-25-2017 at 07:12 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Owl calls are quite distinctive. Unlike doves the call will bring the hair on your neck up. It a deep predatory tone. And the owl is a bringer of a message. Not a good one. Remember "I heard the owl call my name?"
Doves have a softer tone and they call at times owls usually dont. Full daylight hours. And no spook factor in the tone.
Thank you. The one I am asking about is nor alarming, more a cry of boredom than anything else.

I sometimes hear it on TV shows, like NCIS, but I don't remember what episode and such.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:26 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
The next time you hear the call on a TV show, make a mental note of the program and the episode, and post it here. Maybe someone will be able to watch the episode and place the call.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The next time you hear the call on a TV show, make a mental note of the program and the episode, and post it here. Maybe someone will be able to watch the episode and place the call.
Well, that certainly is a totally logical conclusion based on what I said.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:07 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

We were supposed to call in to Z-100 in New York when we hear the Tookie Bird to win cash! lol

Old 07-27-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post

We were supposed to call in to Z-100 in New York when we hear the Tookie Bird to win cash! lol
That reply is an off-topic comment. I hope a moderator removes it and this response to it. Based on previous replies, people are allowed to make chit-chat like this. I am looking for forums more like Stack Overflow where responses are expected to be on-topic.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs View Post
Thank you. The one I am asking about is nor alarming, more a cry of boredom than anything else.

I sometimes hear it on TV shows, like NCIS, but I don't remember what episode and such.
I've heard some interesting bird calls. I have to say that owls have never failed to make my hair stand on end. I grew up with all those old Western legends about the spirit animals. And owls are the Death Messenger. Yea it's hocus-pocus stuff but some childhood things stick with us.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Not for nothing but bird calls are not universally identical from individual to individual or region ot region. It is likely this is a mourning dove that varies slightly due to individual or regional differences.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:06 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs View Post
That reply is an off-topic comment. I hope a moderator removes it and this response to it. Based on previous replies, people are allowed to make chit-chat like this. I am looking for forums more like Stack Overflow where responses are expected to be on-topic.
City-data is nothing like stack overflow (thank goodness), where new members are consistently bashed and down-voted. And if you wish a moderator to notice posts that need moderation, you should use the report post button rather than posting about it.

But yeah, it gets pretty chatty around here. Sorry I don't know the name of your bird, I clicked on this thread because I found your thread title amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature