Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:23 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix
Has anybody heard of such a thing? My husband found an equipment trailer on airport property that his company uses very seldom, and he saw feral cats going in and out of it. He looked inside and saw both cats and raccoons were living in it. I wonder how they learned to get along?
Ahhhhh the blessed little creatures...... I would bring them some food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
My cat used to hang out under the deck with the raccoon and I have a friend that feeds feral cats on his back deck. It's not unusual to see cats, raccoons, and skunks up there. I was out there walking amongst them myself. They all waited their turn patiently and mingled with out incidence. I was literally inches away from some of them and did pet the baby raccoons. Hmmmmm maybe we could learn something about respect and tolerance from these hungry animals.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
We used to leave a large Turkey basting tray full of cat food in the backyard of our inner ring suburban NY backyard so our cats had a suply while we went to Europe, often for over a month at a time.

One time when we got back my little sister and I found two of our cats and a fat raccoon, side by side, merrily munching from the trough. Of course my sister wanted to adopt it.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My cat used to hang out under the deck with the raccoon and I have a friend that feeds feral cats on his back deck. It's not unusual to see cats, raccoons, and skunks up there. I was out there walking amongst them myself. They all waited their turn patiently and mingled with out incidence. I was literally inches away from some of them and did pet the baby raccoons. Hmmmmm maybe we could learn something about respect and tolerance from these hungry animals.

Touching any wild animal is a very dangerous thing to do. Just watched a PBS show about Racoons and Coons have a roundworm that can be fatal to humans. When coon crap dries out it turns to dust and travels in the air.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:05 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I think it's more that cats are smarter than raccoons and can run faster. The cats will stay watchfully in the same place with other mammals but will know when it's time to run.

A neighbor of mine feeds feral cats in her yard and it is distressing to see raccoons and possums eating the food intended for cats. Raccoons and possums are wild animals and omnivores; cats are not. (We're in deep country, dear readers, we're not urban. The cats are the result of vile city people dumping unneutered cats in the country.)

An adult boar raccoon can be very aggressive. Plus raccoons very commonly carry both distemper and rabies, the forms of which CAN be transmitted to both cats and dogs. So I don't think "ain't it cute" is really the right human point of view in this instance.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

An adult boar raccoon can be very aggressive. Plus raccoons very commonly carry both distemper and rabies, the forms of which CAN be transmitted to both cats and dogs. So I don't think "ain't it cute" is really the right human point of view in this instance.
I wondered if anyone was going to mention this. Excellent point IMO.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:53 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
A Coon is top dog over any cat. They get along when there is plenty of food. Supplies get short and the coons will run those cats off.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:00 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I wondered if anyone was going to mention this. Excellent point IMO.
Big boars can be over 20 pounds and can kill a cat or small dog. They can back off a coyote or bobcat trying to eat them. Not a critter to trifle with when it is aroused.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:22 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
It may be because they don't have 'animal mass media' which stirs them up and whips them into a frenzy of hatred or fear of each other - even though they are "in the same boat" so to speak?

Imagine if they got animal "TV" news and were bombarded with constant fear and hatred of each other while the "domesticated" cats get to keep all the prime 'cream' and milk?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
A Coon is top dog over any cat. They get along when there is plenty of food. Supplies get short and the coons will run those cats off.
My wife and I watched one large boar take on a healthy four point buck. The buck was trying to stomp the raccoon and the raccoon held it's ground. The deer could have killed the raccoon - but that did not phase that one old boar. The buck was at least five, six or more times heavier than the raccoon.

If cats and raccoons are getting along it is only out of convenience. The raccoon can easily kill the cat if it would so desire. I just don't think that we can always look at nature through Disney eyes. All stories do not end in they lived happily ever after. Wild animals are wild animals and they can do the unpredictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature