Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times

Advertisements

If this was fairly recent you might contact a rescue and see if they can trap the cat in a small enough trap so the racoons can't get in. Some rescues will even loan you a trap. Something to consider if the poor cat is still around.[/quote]

Oh, no - this was years ago. I did mention it to the people who managed the campgrounds, but they said they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I always wish now I'd tried to do something more, because it still bothers me.

I will say one thing about those raccoons at the campground though. They were certainly intent on getting food from me any way they could. That evening I was sitting in my truck with the tailgate down when there appeared 3 sets of paws on the edge. Yeah, that was cute until a whole raccoon appeared on my tailgate, obviously intent on sharing my space. When I chased him off and closed the tailgate, all three balanced on a tree trunk next to my truck and peered in until I couldn't stand it anymore and shut the top.

I want to go on record here that I would never feed or get close to California raccoons on account of the danger of rabies. I only fed mine because up here in Washington, there hasn't been a confirmed case of raccoon rabies yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 08:16 PM

409 posts, read 484,856 times
In New Smyrna Beach Florida behind the Wendy's there are cats and raccoons living together in a bushy area. They all come up to the cars when you sit and eat. People feed them all of the time. I've seen ladies bringing the cats food before. The cats and raccoons don't interact that I've seen, but they are all in the same area.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:43 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
In New Smyrna Beach Florida behind the Wendy's there are cats and raccoons living together in a bushy area. They all come up to the cars when you sit and eat. People feed them all of the time. I've seen ladies bringing the cats food before. The cats and raccoons don't interact that I've seen, but they are all in the same area.
They may be smart enough to realize they are helpful to each other..
More people will feed cats which benefits the raccoons, and the raccoons
may protect the cats from coyotes & dogs.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Racoons don't get along with anything if food is scarce. Predators are usually smarter than the food they eat. So long as everyone is eating well, getting along isn't the deal, it is called tolerance.

Remove the food sources and let everyone get hungry and a pecking order is established pretty fast.

Some people love their pets until they are starving to death and then one is going to eat the other. It depends on who is hungriest and who decides to not be hungry first. Have a pet dog? Think Fido is your best friend? He is but Fido will have no problem snacking on you if you were out in the wilderness, injured and unable to defend yourself and Fido figured he wanted to live and you were thinking the same thing.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:47 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Some people love their pets until they are starving to death and then one is going to eat the other. It depends on who is hungriest and who decides to not be hungry first. Have a pet dog? Think Fido is your best friend? He is but Fido will have no problem snacking on you if you were out in the wilderness, injured and unable to defend yourself and Fido figured he wanted to live and you were thinking the same thing.
Don't buy it... the dog will defend and protect his master even if he gets killed doing it...

Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Maybe in some cases. Other dogs would try to feed their human or go for help. Not all domesticated dogs have the capacity to turn on their owners. Probably most don't.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
If a racoon comes to the feral cat food outside...bec
I fed them too early...the cats just hang out a couple feet away...they
feel no danger.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
There's a tnr cat that I've been feeding because he was looking so ratty over the winter. I've been leaving his food on my little side deck that leads to the stairs outside. Last night I went to go out and there was a raccoon sitting there looking at me as if to say 'wheres my food?". Scared the hell out of me because it wasn't the least bit afraid of me and didn't want to move.

I think I'm going to have to stop feeding that cat.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:08 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
There's a tnr cat that I've been feeding because he was looking so ratty over the winter. I've been leaving his food on my little side deck that leads to the stairs outside. Last night I went to go out and there was a raccoon sitting there looking at me as if to say 'wheres my food?". Scared the hell out of me because it wasn't the least bit afraid of me and didn't want to move.

I think I'm going to have to stop feeding that cat.
Yep, raccoons cans be disconcertingly, uh, confident. Poor cat tho. Can you feed the cat at a time when you can sit out and watch that the cat gets the food? Another possibility, trap the raccoon and call the city to come get it. City services that do this usually release it in an undeveloped area. Ymmv.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Let me guess - you've never owned a dog and with this attitude I hope you never do. If I were in this situation, I can say with total certainty my German Shepherds would not attack and kill me for food. We would all starve together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature