Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:11 AM

78,553 posts, read 60,762,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Reintroduce predators, it's really simple. Humans aren't native to anywhere in the world except East Africa and aren't necessary for population control anywhere. If we didn't hunt all the brown bears, wolves and other apex predators through much of North America this would be a nonissue. Hunting is what got us into this mess, it is the problem, not the solution.
You have a funny definition of "native".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:35 PM

FWIW, wolves are cropping up ALL OVER the US now.

They caught and released a 150lb female in northwest IL last year near my parents house and mountain lion etc. are spreading too.

As someone that is pretty well read on environmental issues like this, hunting is a tiny tiny risk to these predators relative to the big two.....getting hit by vehicles and fractured habitat. Hunting and hunters actually combats the greater risk by providing funds via licenses etc. to help provide the framework for their continued prosperity.

Basically, hunters tend to do more for habitat preservation than a bunch of people sitting around their dorm rooms and coffee-houses sniffing with small-mindedness about hunters.

Anyone confused by this go read up on Ducks Unlimited and wetlands preservation and of course the greatest environmental president of all-time Teddy Roosevelt the avid hunter.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:49 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,666,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I merely think taking the easy way by introducing a non-native species was very short-sighted and nothing more than a money maker for many preying on the emotional response of most.
I actually completely agree with this. We should never introduce non-native species to an environment. We should only reintroduce species that were once present but driven to extinction in a particular area by people.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Mmm..."scientific schooling". Impressive. "Understanding" you say? Of how ecosystems work. Again...impressive. Ever lived with predators as neighbors? Wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats and such?
Yes, I live in areas with coyotes, mountain lions and bobcats and have spent lots of time in bear (including brown bears) and wolf country (which Nevada is not, because hunters killed them all).

Quote:
I can recall only ONE, instance where a predator was introduced that actually worked. Perigrine Falcons in NYC. They thrive and love munching on pigeons. A prey species that desperately needs controlling.
I do not believe in introducing predators that aren't native to an area. I believe in reintroducing predators that have been killed of by people in particular areas.

Quote:
And still, "animal rights" nuts protested the move as "cruel". It seems the "enlightened and educated" crowd, the ones who "understand" how things work, are OK with things "working", so long as its not where they get to see it. When CA banned hunting of mountain lions, these folks cheered. Then, the cats blew up in population, and humans moved onto the menu. Jogging paths became killing grounds. The ban was lifted. No more cat attacks in populated areas.
I live in California. No jogging paths became "killing grounds" that is simply absurd. In fact, I hike frequently all over California and have yet to even see a mountain lion. There have only been 3 fatal mountain lion attacks in the last 45 years in California. There are only 3000 mountain lions in California and the number is dropping because of hunting.

Quote:
Just for giggles, since introducing apex predators is always beneficial, let's drop a few breeding pairs of mountain lions, coyotes and wolves in where you live. Get you some face time. I've had lots, with cats and coyotes, thanks. None with wolves, but I feel no need, either. Then, we'll discuss ignorance.
I alreadly live with all of those predators except wolves (you don't live by wolves either if you live in NW Nevada), but I'll one up you. I would love them to reintroduce big brown bears in California.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:26 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,654,399 times
Quote:
Yes, I live in areas with coyotes, mountain lions and bobcats and have spent lots of time in bear (including brown bears) and wolf country (which Nevada is not, because hunters killed them all).

I do not believe in introducing predators that aren't native to an area. I believe in reintroducing predators that have been killed of by people in particular areas.

I live in California. No jogging paths became "killing grounds" that is simply absurd. In fact, I hike frequently all over California and have yet to even see a mountain lion. There have only been 3 fatal mountain lion attacks in the last 45 years in California. There are only 3000 mountain lions in California and the number is dropping because of hunting.

I alreadly live with all of those predators except wolves (you don't live by wolves either if you live in NW Nevada), but I'll one up you. I would love them to reintroduce big brown bears in California.
Fwi...the last wolves in NV were Dire Wolves. Quite extinct, along with Wooly Mammoth and Smilodon, which were here then to. Late Pleistocence. Man had nothing to do with wolves not being in the Great Basin area, now. Though, they are, and have been , in the Sierras still. I've seen them. But, they are rare.

The mountain lion attacks in CA, the most notable being in the Auburn area, in the early 90s, all happened during the moratorium on shooting them. They lost their fear of people. And, our cat population, in the mountains surrounding me, is higher than 3000. Lmao, the Wassucks, alone, supports mor than 200 breeding pair, and butts up to the Sierra. Adding a bit more, most, on the CA side.

I've trailed, and killed, stock killing cats. Two toms, and one female, the latter killed an entire pen of ewes, waiting lambing. And ate nothing but the milk bags. These were not domestic sheep, BTW. They were Desert bighorns, to be reintroduced to the Wassucks. Yep, I was there. 1972. But a lad. But I learned early, about cats. And coyotes. I believe I did state my lack of face time with wolves. Not in a hurry to rectify that, either.

I'm not going to make you think like a rode hard, put up wet, old stockman like me. Nor are you going to convince me my decades of experience, on the range facing predators, are useless as a guide to live by. That, by citing things learned in classrooms. Rest assured, your disdain for my experience and views are mirrored, back to you.

With good cause.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Fwi...the last wolves in NV were Dire Wolves.
That's not true. Grey wolves were never abundant but they did exist in Nevada.

Quote:
The mountain lion attacks in CA, the most notable being in the Auburn area, in the early 90s, all happened during the moratorium on shooting them. They lost their fear of people. And, our cat population, in the mountains surrounding me, is higher than 3000. Lmao, the Wassucks, alone, supports mor than 200 breeding pair, and butts up to the Sierra. Adding a bit more, most, on the CA side.
That's not true either. There were just as many attacks in the 2000's as the 90's.
Verified Mountain Lion Attacks on Humans - California Department of Fish and Wildlife

Google and books are your friend. Stop making up information, in the modern age with technology you cannot get away with it. I don't understand people like you who have a thing against science and scientists. If you don't trust scientists why do you use a computer, drive a car or rely on modern medicine? Nearly every technological advancedment was made possible by people who call themselves scientists and practice science.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 PM

I should have said roughly as many attacks. The difference in the number of attacks falls with random error.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I should have said roughly as many attacks. The difference in the number of attacks falls with random error.
*Should be within* not with

Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,654,399 times
Quote:
That's not true. Grey wolves were never abundant but they did exist in Nevada.

That's not true either. There were just as many attacks in the 2000's as the 90's.
Verified Mountain Lion Attacks on Humans - California Department of Fish and Wildlife

Google and books are your friend. Stop making up information, in the modern age with technology you cannot get away with it. I don't understand people like you who have a thing against science and scientists. If you don't trust scientists why do you use a computer, drive a car or rely on modern medicine? Nearly every technological advancedment was made possible by people who call themselves scientists and practice science.
Your own stats bear out that during the moratorium years, late 80s to early 00s, attacks spiked. I'm not making anything up. The fatal attack in the Auburn area, which I mentioned, was a notable case. It showed the mentality of the "animal rights" nuts and just how much misinformation, of a dangerous type, they spread.

The cat, that killed the woman, was a healthy female, and she had cubs. The woman was drug down and died a very horrible death, then, was packed off and fed to the cubs. The cat was tracked down and killed, a very GOOD thing. The cubs were taken to a shelter, they should have been shot, on sight. The woman left a family, husband and two children.

Her death left an unfillable hole. The family revcieved about a couple thousand dollars in donations, mostly from locals. In contrast, over $25,000 poured in, from all over, for the man eating cubs of that blasted cat. Upon hearing this, the shop I worked in, six employees who donated, came up with a 750 dollar donation for the woman's family. This incident hit close to home.

Yep, I have a severe disdain for the "science" and emotional stance you espouse. Its pure junk, all from a book, with no, real world, experience applied. As to what technology I use, technicians, hands on folks, have corrected the flaws that engineers overlooked. Usually, common sense issues that don't take a masters degree to solve. I don't need a rocket scientist to tell me poop flows downhill.

I would have volunteered to donate ten cents apiece to those cubs. Delivered, personally. I don't imagine they turned out all cute and cuddly.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:01 PM

Habitat loss and fragmentation is the true issue.

Handwringing over hunting is just that.....something meant to illicit emotional responses from kids that just watched the Lion King etc.

Meanwhile, mountain lion populations are growing in plenty of other states that allow hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature