Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

How sad is this? I can see how a wolf would be confused for a coyote but dang...this is bad news.

Wolf Killed in Utah Was Animal From Rare Arizona Sighting - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
All hunting should be banned. Plain and simple.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
What an A$$ hole!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
All hunting should be banned. Plain and simple.

So what's your plan to control animal overpopulation? What do you think keeps deer herds, bears, ducks rabbits coyotes and other animals from overpopulating? There is not enough predatory wild animals to keep it all in check.

While I personally can tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf a inexperienced hunter may not. You do understand the guy could of walked away. That guy imo is a pretty honest person to admit to what he did when a lot of people could of walked. Yes he made a mistake. Should he go to jail over it? Not in my opinion. If he deliberately shot it just to shoot it ok he deserves some time alone to think about his choice.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So what's your plan to control animal overpopulation? What do you think keeps deer herds, bears, ducks rabbits coyotes and other animals from overpopulating? There is not enough predatory wild animals to keep it all in check.

While I personally can tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf a inexperienced hunter may not. You do understand the guy could of walked away. That guy imo is a pretty honest person to admit to what he did when a lot of people could of walked. Yes he made a mistake. Should he go to jail over it? Not in my opinion. If he deliberately shot it just to shoot it ok he deserves some time alone to think about his choice.
Reintroduce predators, it's really simple. Humans aren't native to anywhere in the world except East Africa and aren't necessary for population control anywhere. If we didn't hunt all the brown bears, wolves and other apex predators through much of North America this would be a nonissue. Hunting is what got us into this mess, it is the problem, not the solution.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:05 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Reintroduce predators, it's really simple. Humans aren't native to anywhere in the world except East Africa and aren't necessary for population control anywhere. If we didn't hunt all the brown bears, wolves and other apex predators through much of North America this would be a nonissue. Hunting is what got us into this mess, it is the problem, not the solution.
Humans are native to where ever they migrated.

Otherwise, by your logic the feral grade horses aren't native to the American West. And neither are several other species.

The predator, the Canadian grey wolf, certainly isn't native to the Yellowstone ecosystem. That was purely a human-managed introduction. Just as the Mexican grey is being artificially introduced in the southern country.

And when overpopulation happens, the most common way Nature reduces numbers to what the habitat can sustain is starvation coupled with disease. Not predation. How cruel to wish that on the animals.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:47 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
I believe the guys story. I'm reasonably certain that he did think it was a yote, and seeing a wolf where he was is fly out of the ordinary. Through a scope , at distance, with mirage effect and such, you don't see fine details. It was a mistake, but an honest enough one. He did report it. Seems he had some regret, there. Be could have as easily just left it lay, and not said a word. Lresecutknv him seems extreme

This wasn't an intentional act. He's not a poacher. Treating him like one is nonsensical and unfair. My .02, anyway.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Humans are native to where ever they migrated.

Otherwise, by your logic the feral grade horses aren't native to the American West. And neither are several other species.

The predator, the Canadian grey wolf, certainly isn't native to the Yellowstone ecosystem. That was purely a human-managed introduction. Just as the Mexican grey is being artificially introduced in the southern country.

And when overpopulation happens, the most common way Nature reduces numbers to what the habitat can sustain is starvation coupled with disease. Not predation. How cruel to wish that on the animals.
By your logic every species is native anywhere that it is located. If seeds of a plant get on a boat that travels around the world and gets deposited somewhere then it is native there because it migrated.

Grey wolves are certainly native to Yellowstone. They are native to the entire US except for Hawaii.

I never said nature wasn't cruel, I said a bunch of idiot hunters looking to kill the best animals of a species (hunters don't kill the old sickly animals, they kill the ones in their prime) is not the way to manage overpopulation. In fact it is the very reason there is an overpopulation in the first place. If we reintroduced predators overpopulation wouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:56 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
By your logic every species is native anywhere that it is located. If seeds of a plant get on a boat that travels around the world and gets deposited somewhere then it is native there because it migrated.

Grey wolves are certainly native to Yellowstone. They are native to the entire US except for Hawaii.

I never said nature wasn't cruel, I said a bunch of idiot hunters looking to kill the best animals of a species (hunters don't kill the old sickly animals, they kill the ones in their prime) is not the way to manage overpopulation. In fact it is the very reason there is an overpopulation in the first place. If we reintroduced predators overpopulation wouldn't be a problem.

Horses were introduced by people to N. America. Asian carp were introduced. The Canadian grey wolf has been introduced to the Yellowstone ecosystem and beyond. You may have to look at sources other than pro-wolf sites. We've always had wolves in WY. Not the invasive species.

And, I and other hunters, certainly have sacrificed a tag to put an old animal out of it's misery. Also, local people are usually more interested in freezer meat than trophies. Dry does or dry cow elk are the best. Young males rate second. Meat from old, large antlered or horned animals is the least tasty.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Horses were introduced by people to N. America. Asian carp were introduced. The Canadian grey wolf has been introduced to the Yellowstone ecosystem and beyond. You may have to look at sources other than pro-wolf sites. We've always had wolves in WY. Not the invasive species.

And, I and other hunters, certainly have sacrificed a tag to put an old animal out of it's misery. Also, local people are usually more interested in freezer meat than trophies. Dry does or dry cow elk are the best. Young males rate second. Meat from old, large antlered or horned animals is the least tasty.
I don't know where you get this idea that I'm specifically pro wolf. I am pro-environment. I think we should reintroduce any predator we hunted to extinction in an area. As far as I know, Canis lupus, the grey wolf and Canis rufus, the red wolf are the only two extant species of wolf in North America. The canadian grey wolf may be a different subspecies of grey wolf than the ones that used to roam Yellowstone but that is a trivial point. It's the same species.

Good on you for putting old animals out of their misery but I have my doubts that most hunters do that very much. You cannot deny the fact that the result of hunting with a firearm allows people to easily kill the fittest of the species and in turn harm the species as a whole, as opposed to how a predator would hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature