Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:17 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I often encounter garden spiders across trails. The females are 3" - 4" in size.

I've never seen garden spiders that big. 3-4"? 2 maybe. Tarantulas are 3-4 (and bigger sometimes) inches. Think about it. That's BIG. Get out a measuring tape and look close at those dimensions. A spider 3-4 inches across at the legs would be able to wrap those legs halfway around my forearm. And I'm not a diminutive guy. A garden spider couldn't do that. Not even close. We're talking a tarantula sized web spinner here. I've never seen anything hanging in a web that big.

Spiders I've encountered that size were hunter type critters. And tarantulas are the only species of that type I've ever seen. They don't spin webs and hang in them off the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 04:09 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
Giggle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkSZivKpqzk

Old 06-03-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post

Ummm. sorry, nothing 3-4" there in either video I watched. the second video was not a web spinner but some sort of hunter critter. Moved to fast on the ground to be a web spinner. Good sized but not that big. N American webspinners just don't get that big. Either the OP encountered an invasive species or he overestimates the size of the critter in the web.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ummm. sorry, nothing 3-4" there in either video I watched. the second video was not a web spinner but some sort of hunter critter. Moved to fast on the ground to be a web spinner. Good sized but not that big. N American webspinners just don't get that big. Either the OP encountered an invasive species or he overestimates the size of the critter in the web.
I know. I was just having a little fun.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I know. I was just having a little fun.

lol. Fair enough. That first video was a really pretty garden spider. I've never seen one colored like that. But they can come in some really wild color schemes. Green and white and black and orange are the most common combinations I run across. I suppose a garden spider could dish out a painful bite if pushed, but they have a long fuse like tarantulas do. I do wish the OP had some pics.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:49 AM

This guy is wrapping up a yellow jacket box lunch. I was lucky enough to catch the entire process while sitting in my backyard.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
This guy is wrapping up a yellow jacket box lunch. I was lucky enough to catch the entire process while sitting in my backyard.

Did you hear her say "Salutations?"

Old 06-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Did you hear her say "Salutations?"
Think it was more like ahhh cr*p!

Old 06-04-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Think it was more like ahhh cr*p!

Haha. Hate when people see me eating! In reality, most N American spiders are pretty harmless. The big exceptions being the Fiddleback and Black Widow. There is another that hangs out in the Southeast (Hobo spider) that can become a real nuisance and delivers a nasty bite. Though nowhere near the toxicity of a Black Widow, they have been known to just take over a place and bite with no provocation. The bite is painful and delivered multiple times by different spiders has some bad effects.

Watched a show a while back on Sci channel about a family that was invaded by these beasties, and they made life plumb miserable. However, we are pretty lucky here in N America as to nasty spiders. At least native ones. Unlike Australia. South America and Africa have some nasty species of tarantula. Some pretty wicked athropods (centipedes and scorpions) as well.

But up here in the US spider wise we have it pretty good.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:45 PM

Ya forgot one. The Brown recluse spider.
Quote:
Most spiders are absolutely harmless to humans. In fact, of the over 20,000 different species of spiders that inhabit the Americas, only 60 are capable of biting humans. Within that small group, only four are known to be dangerous to humans: the brown recluse, the black widow, the hobo or aggressive house spider, and the yellow sac spider. Within this select group, only the brown recluse and the black widow spider have ever been associated with significant disease and very rare reports of death.
Brown Recluse Spider Bite: Pictures, Images & Symptoms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature