Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:56 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times

Advertisements

Found the bird feeder It was about 20 feet away from the pole and 15 ft into the brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 02:15 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Found the bird feeder It was about 20 feet away from the pole and 15 ft into the brush.
Anything to suggest the critter was bigger than a raccoon, like a large matted down area?

Old 08-29-2015, 03:27 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
At least it wasn't a human! If it was you would not have found your feeder or they would have destroyed it!

Take a good look at the feeder. Does it have claw marks or teeth marks? How high was the Sheppard's hook that was bent? My feeling was that raccoons would have had a hard time trying to climb just the metal of the taller Sheppard hooks. But you did say that you wired it fast to a wooden stake in the ground; that could have made the difference?

You could try moving away from black oily sunflower seeds as feed in the feeder. Everybody loves the black oily sunflower seeds. In the following link (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/squirrel_proof_feeder.html) you will see that they recommend the following to help keep out squirrels: "safflower seed (which attracts species such as cardinals, chickadees, and titmice), nyjer thistle (which nourishes goldfinches and others of their kind), or a birdseed mixture that includes a large amount of white proso millet seed (which satisfies the hunger of mourning doves and house finches)." What helps keep squirrels away will also help keep larger animals away. Of course nothing is fool proof.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:01 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
There's really nothing much bigger than a raccoon here. A family of 16 turkeys has been walking through the yard. If a large turkey tried to perch on the hook, it might bend down. There are some big hawks that could have landed on it, probably not as heavy as the turkeys. I've seen raccoons on our other feeder that is solidly mounted on a post. We've seen a fox a few times this year. There are ground hogs, rabbits, coyotes (hear them but never see them). It's not reasonable to believe the bear sited 40 miles from here did it. We put whatever bird seed is on sale in the feeder. The feeder is plastic with a strong braided steel hanger wire attached. It was just hanging on the hook. Nothing is broken bit the fill cap is gone. My biggest concern is vandalism. I put a netcam in the window to capture a picture of anything that walks by there. Still working on configuring the camera.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:55 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
You will probably catch Big Foot doing summersaults off your hook! Happy hunting!

Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
It very well could have been a raccoon. For a while, I kept finding my thick iron double shepherd's hook bent in half. And my peanut feeders were broken and laying on the ground. I figured it was a raccoon, but couldn't catch it. Late one night, I was sitting in my kitchen and I heard a "thump" on the ground in the backyard. I quickly turned on my back light, and sure enough, there was a raccoon, with the shepherd's hook bent again, with a (broken) peanut feeder in his paws. I have been able to get around this problem by putting the peanut feeder in a closed container in the garage in the evening and then putting it back up in the morning. For some reason, the raccoon is not interested in my platform feeders, which have regular bird seed, not peanuts, in them.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:06 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
It absolutely could have been a raccoon. I've had raccoons literally bend a metal suet feeder to get the suet out. I live in the residential area of a big city so that's the only thing it could have been. I'm virtually certain no one broke into my back yard just to steal suet and damage the feeder. I also talked to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and her thought was raccoons.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:19 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times
I had 2 stolen by bear last winter.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:56 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I'd google pictures of damage caused by raccoons and that might give you a frame of reference as to what they are capable of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature