Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:51 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Woodchuck is another name for a groundhog. Also known in some areas as a 'whistlepig'.
I didn't appreciate the name "whistlepig" until I accidentally got too close to a groundhog tunnel entrance during nursery season. Mom whistled the alarm. It was the most amazingly loud sound I had ever heard. I literally jumped in the air when I heard it. My husband was watching from the kitchen and said I was a sight to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 08:54 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I have heard that, but mine are too fat, lazy and well-fed to climb trees. LOL I have a couple that have learned how to hoist themselves up into a bird bath converted to a bird feeder. It's about 2.5 feet high. Once in the feeder, they gorge themselves. And then knock over the feeder as they dismount.
I'd never have thought that they would climb trees if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!

Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
I loved our woodchuck-groundhogs! We had at least 5-6 and I named every one of them, "Snuffles." (You can't tell 'em apart, so you might as well call them the same name, right?!) They are surprisingly friendly once they get used to you. Well, friendly might not be the right word... less skittish, maybe. I saw one scramble up a tree once, too, and it was surprisingly agile for as doofusy and clumsy as they appear. I used to walk out in the morning and yell, "chippies!" and the groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks, Blue Jays and other birds would all come like I was stinkin' Snow White. They really do get used to you if you get into a routine of feeding everyone. Good thing we lived in the country or the neighbors would have probably been weirded out by me.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:59 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Marmota Monax aka Ground Hog ~ Wood Chuck ~ Whistling Pig.. Aggressive rodent I use to trap them when I was a teen and they would chew off their own leg to escape.. They are not furry and cuddly. If cornered they will attack !

FYI: On Chucky > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

Old 11-03-2016, 06:44 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I loved our woodchuck-groundhogs! We had at least 5-6 and I named every one of them, "Snuffles." (You can't tell 'em apart, so you might as well call them the same name, right?!) They are surprisingly friendly once they get used to you. Well, friendly might not be the right word... less skittish, maybe. I saw one scramble up a tree once, too, and it was surprisingly agile for as doofusy and clumsy as they appear. I used to walk out in the morning and yell, "chippies!" and the groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks, Blue Jays and other birds would all come like I was stinkin' Snow White. They really do get used to you if you get into a routine of feeding everyone. Good thing we lived in the country or the neighbors would have probably been weirded out by me.
Haha, we name ours, too. They haven't gotten any less skittish, though. The moment I crack open my back door, they skedaddle.

Two years ago, we got lucky and saw accidentally saw 2 groundhogs mating. (I felt a little weird watching them...) Mating doesn't last very long at all and afterward, Mom chased off Dad. We cheered when we saw little hogs popping out of the tunnel late that spring. Mating Day was April 15, which was hard to forget, since it is also Tax Day.

Of course, I now have several families of groundhogs who have made themselves at home in my backyard. We didn't have them when we had dogs, but without dogs, those guys feel right at home. I would be OK with a few less groundhogs these days, but I am not one to go trapping and/or killing wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature