Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 12:31 PM

230 posts, read 215,880 times

Advertisements

I have an intense fear of bees and wasps. They play a big part on why I don't really go outside in the summer. I can't even sit on my porch or do yard work without them buzzing around. They're very irritating and annoying. I think there's a nest on my property, but I'm not sure. I just hate that they can fly and sting you. I've never been stung, but I heard that getting stung is pretty painful which is why I am so afraid of them.

How can I overcome this fear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 03:15 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Seek professional help with someone who specializes in phobias.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:25 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Getting stung is no worse than sticking your finger with a sewing needle...not pleasant but not rolling on the ground writhing in pain, either.

Now, allergic reactions to the venom can be concerning, but without either a sting or testing, you won't know if this is an issue.

If they are constantly around you on your porch, then you need to find the source and eliminate or move it.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:01 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
I got stung by a bee once, it wasn't that bad.

Maybe if you got tested for a bee/wasp allergy and the result showed you weren't allergic, it would put your mind at ease.

I agree though you need to see a therapist that specializes in phobias.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:55 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
I was scared of getting stung. A friend of mine wanted me to help him remove bee hives. At first I was like no. Then after a few times I decided to go for it. He was a great teacher of bees. At first I was scared to get close to the hive. Then I worked up my nerve to get closer. Now when he calls me to go help him, I go. I also take control of the job and do a lot of the work myself. Yea, I got stung many times too. But you get used to it after a while.

You just have to take your time with it. Wasps are butts. Not like bees. At least bees head butt you when you get too close. Wasps and others don't. Just take a deep breath and work out your fear. Once you get past the initial fear, you got it licked. The pain doesn't last long either. Just keep some benedryl handy just in case you start having an allergic reaction.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I have an intense fear of bees and wasps. They play a big part on why I don't really go outside in the summer. I can't even sit on my porch or do yard work without them buzzing around. They're very irritating and annoying. I think there's a nest on my property, but I'm not sure. I just hate that they can fly and sting you. I've never been stung, but I heard that getting stung is pretty painful which is why I am so afraid of them.

Spend time with them. Study them, observe them. Knowledge is the antidote to fear in some cases.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
I'd strongly suggest the next time you go to your doctor to be tested for allergies with wasp/bee stings. It's nothing to play with, just ask me or my sister. My dad was killed by a wasp. Just one, not thousands. You'd be surprised how many thousands, yes thousands, of people die every year from wasp and bee stings. I was a late teen when my dad died. He was stung on the neck and basically his neck swelled up and he choked to death. Not a fun way to go. The week prior to his death, he got stung and it didn't both him at all. Conditions have to right but know this. Every time you get stung by any insect, that venom never leaves your body. When conditions are right, it can all be triggered at one time. We were part of study by Texas A&M college about the wasp/bee stings. Lots of information out there on it now. It's not something to play with. I would suggest though that you keep some Benedryl around though. From time of sting, you have 3 minutes to get the Benedryl in your mouth. After that, no guarantees on your life. I keep Benedryl at home and in my cars, just in case me or someone that maybe I don't even know can have it. You never know when it might be needed.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:47 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post

I used to be just like you. Bees, wasps ruined my good weather enjoyment. I used to run away from them or go indoors. Then I got stung by a yellowjacket while on break at work, sitting outside. It stung somewhat but then it subsided.I then knew I was not allergic to them. I stopped being afraid of them. I have been stung many times since. Once 7 times at the same time when a wasp bounced into my bra from the car when I had the window open! Lol, one got much bigger than the other! Without an implant! I no longer run away or fear them. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'd strongly suggest the next time you go to your doctor to be tested for allergies with wasp/bee stings. It's nothing to play with, just ask me or my sister. My dad was killed by a wasp. Just one, not thousands. You'd be surprised how many thousands, yes thousands, of people die every year from wasp and bee stings. I was a late teen when my dad died. He was stung on the neck and basically his neck swelled up and he choked to death. Not a fun way to go.

This would be a great answer, if the OP had asked "can you please scare the living snot out of me, because I'm not scared enough of bees yet".

Quote:

The week prior to his death, he got stung and it didn't both him at all. Conditions have to right but know this. Every time you get stung by any insect, that venom never leaves your body. When conditions are right, it can all be triggered at one time. We were part of study by Texas A&M college about the wasp/bee stings. Lots of information out there on it now. It's not something to play with. I would suggest though that you keep some Benedryl around though. From time of sting, you have 3 minutes to get the Benedryl in your mouth. After that, no guarantees on your life. I keep Benedryl at home and in my cars, just in case me or someone that maybe I don't even know can have it. You never know when it might be needed.

I keep some Benadryl on hand because you never know when an allergy will develop. I used to love kiwi, until one day I ate one and my throat swelled up and I had a hard time breathing. I was within minutes of calling 911 but it subsided. I'm not allergic to bee venom today, but I could be tomorrow. And I haven't had a kiwi since

Old 07-30-2018, 04:26 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Just remember that the bee flying near you has never stung anyone in its life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature