Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 01:38 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

How horribly sad. All the details aren't known as it may have been killed in Mexico along the border. What a shame. They used to range from So Cal to Louisiana.
One Of The Last Known Jaguars In US Killed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 03:06 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Sad news

Some idiot killing a beautiful animal for its fur or as a trophy. There is something wrong with these kind of people...

Old 07-01-2018, 06:57 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
I "used" to enjoy hunting....for the meat. Trophy hunting has never made any sense to me. To kill a rare apex predator (that you can't eat) for the sake of its fur is just beyond ignorant.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:25 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,365 times
How can anyone do this to such a beautiful animal? Soon, we’ll never see these cats ever again.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I "used" to enjoy hunting....for the meat. Trophy hunting has never made any sense to me. To kill a rare apex predator (that you can't eat) for the sake of its fur is just beyond ignorant.
The same people who will argue for the hunting of apex predators - jaguars, wolves, etc. - are the same ones who will argue that hunting deer is all about population control. I don't have a problem with the latter, but the former exacerbates the problem of deer population by removing one of the controls on it.

If they really cared about population control, they would let the apex predators alone to do their own (more efficient and effective) population control.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:01 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
If you really want to get depressed look up how many "game" ranches there are in states like Texas and Idaho. Where they import exotic animals or buy animals from zoos or private individuals, put them out on a couple of acres and take some sicko out to kill it. You name it, killing it is for sale if you have the money.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Trophy hunting needs to be outlawed.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:30 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
wish i hadn't clicked

Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
The same people who will argue for the hunting of apex predators - jaguars, wolves, etc. - are the same ones who will argue that hunting deer is all about population control. I don't have a problem with the latter, but the former exacerbates the problem of deer population by removing one of the controls on it.

If they really cared about population control, they would let the apex predators alone to do their own (more efficient and effective) population control.
When a mountain lion was sighted in southeast Denver over two hundred police were involved. A sighting in environmentalist Boulder saw over fifty. Apex predators follow game—when game animals move into cities so do they. That's when the trouble starts. Urbanites demand that apex predators perish.

Interestingly, rural people are far more comfortable. There are several species of apex predators in my area, but I've never heard a complaint from a resident. I have, however, heard and read of tourists demanding that they be trapped and killed.

I have no solution, but I do know that the less human interference the better.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:21 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
If you really want to get depressed look up how many "game" ranches there are in states like Texas and Idaho. Where they import exotic animals or buy animals from zoos or private individuals, put them out on a couple of acres and take some sicko out to kill it. You name it, killing it is for sale if you have the money.
there are plenty of these "facilities'' in the Midwest too, to do nothing more that shoot whitetail deer, yes, whitetail deer are "farmed" in the Midwest and people pay money to shoot them.

and then Chronic Wasting Disease is found at one of these "preserves" and the state Dept. of Natural Resources "de-populates" the deer at taxpayer expense and actually pays the deer "farmer" thousands of dollars per deer killed.

Or sometimes a few of these deer escape and spread CWD to wild deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature