Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does barking dog or other noise bother you?
Yes it bothers me 98 79.67%
No it doesn't bother me 7 5.69%
It bothers me but not that much 18 14.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:13 PM

801 posts, read 452,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Cool your jets Buckaroo. Come on my property with your homicidal rage, and you're right, there WILL be consequences. We have a right to use a leaf blower, especially during day light hours, not too early in the morning, and not too late into the evening.

If the noise bothers you SO much, maybe get some noise cancelling headphones, than going on a homicidal rampage.
I don't think "noise canceling headphones" nor ear plugs nor both together sufficiently deaden the sound of a leaf blower, chain saw or other such loud motor noises.

While you have a right to use a leaf blower that doesn't mean it doesn't bother the hell out of some neighbors, as you have read on here.

At least do it no more than necessary and later in the day, not early in the morning. Where I lived before they used to do it at 7am which should be outlawed imho.

That said, at least when someone is using a leaf blower you know it's going to end within an hour (more or less).

Not so with barking dog noise which can go on for hours and hours, AND imho is much less bearable. But I do sympathize with people who have to put up with a lot of motor noise no matter what kind it is (ATV's, motorcycles, car engines revving (mechanic work), chain saws, and so on. But again these things are usually temporary (not always!) whereas incessant barking often goes on for hours and day after day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 05:28 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
There have been a lot of threads about leaf blowers. The general consensus is that people who use leaf blowers are the spawn of Satan.

I choose to live in the country to avoid most human noise. Animal noises and smells make me happy. My dog barks joyfully, especially when he's hunting rabbits. I love to hear him bark and encourage it. Grain bins are extremely noisy, but they are a necessary tool so I live through the corn/soybean drying weeks patiently.

Leaf blowers are not necessary tools, and people should respond to their usage appropriately.
Leaf blowers ARE a necessary tool, for ME. I use one when I need to, as do the other neighbors. No one here has ever complained about their use.

DOGS however, are completely unnecessary. Most people don't find any continuous barking to be "joyful". We have a LOT of complaints about unrelenting barking.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:23 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times
For the time being anyway, barking dogs have ceased in my area since the owners of these particular canines that barked incessantly have recently moved.

What bothers me to the point of almost rage, however, are my next door neighbors who have this one particular child (one of 7 children) who screams and screams (simply because he can and not because he's being abused or in pain or even happy) often for prolonged periods of time. I've been driven to the point at times of yelling out, "For God's sake ...stop that kid from screaming!" ...something that is normally unnatural for me to do. You know that high pitched scream that kids can produce that would almost shatter glass? That's the scream I'm talking about. The other kids can be noisy at times but this one kid drives me nuts.

I never signed up for these children and I can't for the life of me see why I should have to put up with being harassed by the result of someones sperm and egg coming together. I realize how uncouth that sounds but I really do get sick of being subjected to someone else's unruly kids ...especially those folks who seem to reproduce these little tyrants like rabbits.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:02 PM

236 posts, read 195,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I can't answer this poll because there is a profound difference in the type of noises that bother me.

Barking dog noise doesn't bother me at all. I don't even hear it. Any natural noises are completely fine with me.

But leaf blower/snow blower noise makes me completely homicidal. I hate everyone who owns a leaf blower. I hate everyone who uses a leaf blower. I hate manufacturers of leaf blowers. Snow blower useage is somewhat forgivable, but don't use a leaf blower anywhere near me or there WILL be consequences.
Thank you for giving me the best laugh in ages

Old 08-01-2018, 09:26 PM

104 posts, read 60,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I've been driven to the point at times of yelling out, "For God's sake ...stop that kid from screaming!" ...something that is normally unnatural for me to do.
LOL

A kid in our neighborhood sometimes does that, thank God it’s only once in a while but I have been tempted to talk to their parents because I always think someone is getting hurt outside. How am I gonna know when their children are actually getting abducted or hurt if they are making me ignore them with their false alarms? The screaming is not terribly annoying it’s just that it is alarming.

Barking dogs on the other hand can be very annoying depending on the dog, the closeness, the time of the barking and the frequency.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:23 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I do know some people who don't listen to music AT ALL and will talk the entire time on a trip.
Incessant talking drives me crazy too. I think people who are uncomfortable with silence are insecure.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:16 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I totally disagree with this.
I think that no matter where you live you should respect your neighbors right to enjoy peace and quiet.

I also think your statement that "People move to the country to drive their ATV, keep a pack of beagles, shoot, etc..." is wrong.

SOME people move to the country to do that stuff, but others move there for the peace and quiet, to hear and see birds and wildlife, and those things you list annoy those who are there for the peace and quiet.

What right do you have to ruin your neighbor's peace and quiet? Who said the "country" was for people to make noise in? Who told you that you don't have to be considerate towards others in this world?
Thank god I'm not your neighbor!

Where OUR place is, in the country, it's written in the bylaws that people can ride their ATV's, their dirt bikes, etc.

Holiday weekends are very noisy. Oh well. We have to share our world with lots of other people, and they DO have the right to operate their generators, their toys, their bikes, their 4x4's, their leaf blowers, etc.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:28 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I don't think "noise canceling headphones" nor ear plugs nor both together sufficiently deaden the sound of a leaf blower, chain saw or other such loud motor noises.

While you have a right to use a leaf blower that doesn't mean it doesn't bother the hell out of some neighbors, as you have read on here.

At least do it no more than necessary and later in the day, not early in the morning. Where I lived before they used to do it at 7am which should be outlawed imho.

That said, at least when someone is using a leaf blower you know it's going to end within an hour (more or less).

Not so with barking dog noise which can go on for hours and hours, AND imho is much less bearable. But I do sympathize with people who have to put up with a lot of motor noise no matter what kind it is (ATV's, motorcycles, car engines revving (mechanic work), chain saws, and so on. But again these things are usually temporary (not always!) whereas incessant barking often goes on for hours and day after day...

IF you had read my comments on this, you would've read that we STARTED about 11 AM, and we stopped about 3 PM.

And when you live (or play) out in the country, certain noises are going to happen. Noises like chain saws, leaf blowers, etc.

I agree people should use consideration and good manners. And we DID use consideration and good manners.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:06 AM

1,186 posts, read 967,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene1999 View Post
LOL

A kid in our neighborhood sometimes does that, thank God it’s only once in a while but I have been tempted to talk to their parents because I always think someone is getting hurt outside. How am I gonna know when their children are actually getting abducted or hurt if they are making me ignore them with their false alarms? The screaming is not terribly annoying it’s just that it is alarming.

Barking dogs on the other hand can be very annoying depending on the dog, the closeness, the time of the barking and the frequency.
For the people here who suggested that dogs can easily be trained not to bark, can the same concept also be applied to screaming kids? I mean, in theory, they should have more ability to understand certain concepts, barring any neurological disorder like severe autism or similar.

That said, I think some people become immune to the barking/screaming over time, but I'm kind of sensitive to noise. Thankfully my dog doesn't bark often but when he does let out a bark (usually due to a stranger at the door), it makes me jump. My neighbor has a schnauzer which barks incessantly when he's outside, which I wouldn't be able to handle on a constant basis.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:08 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
yes, indeed, I have MS, therefore, loud noise does bother me....it's a side effect I suppose....can't stand loud noises and I'll run to get away from them.

also cannot stand it when a neighbor allows their dog to bark, bark, bark....for hours. That is so inconsiderate. My mom had a neighbor, (I don't believe they were quit right?) That left their dog outside on a chain even though their yard was fenced in????? And it barked the whole time. OMG....I wanted to call the police on them. But thought better of it. LOL

There you are, work full time, and on a Sunday afternoon, all you wanted was a little peace and quiet, and this darn dog would bark all day....sheeeesh

When I mow, blow leaves, or trim, always check the time, while I like to get out there early, don't usually start until after 9 a.m. and anyway, the grass is usually too wet to mow earlier.

It's best to be mindful of neighbors and considerate....some noise can't be helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature