Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 04:00 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Ignorance about wildlife so annoys me...

never seen a green one...sweet little nip for you!
Laughing about your goodbye rump nip. Yikes. That could have turned out disastrous.

DH and I swam with the sea turtles in Akumal, MX. There are green, loggerhead and hawksbill species there. This is a guided tour with close supervision to ensure no one makes an attempt at physical contact with the enchanting creatures.

Off and on they close the enterprise to tourists. Nonetheless damage is being done to the ecology of their nesting site. Such a tug and pull between making money and protecting the creatures for posterity.

I've mixed feelings about this experience. It's one of those things where I think, hypocritically, that now that I've gotten to do it they shouldn't allow it anymore. Tsk.

The Carribbean coast of Mexico does have scientists involved in monitoring the health of the ecology and the multitudes of people who depend on tourists for their living walk a fine line between the two. Ideally, of course, it would be best if there were no people at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 04:06 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This thread is about love for and appreciation of turtles...

it is not about turtle soup.

And who said I did not love or appreciate them!

Now you tell me! Sorry!

Old 08-06-2018, 09:15 PM

66 posts, read 102,044 times
I saved a medium sized snapper a couple of years ago after I watched a car drive right over it. I had already pulled over and was walking towards him, waving my hands for them to slow down, but nope....doofus drove right over him. Amazingly he survived, with a big chunk of shell cracked. Against better judgement, I picked him up and put him in my hatchback as my dog looked on, concerned about this strange creature behind him. I found a box to put him in, and drove him down to the wildlife rehab center. A few weeks later, they called and said he was patched up and I could bring him back to the area (but away from the road, of course lol).

Old 08-07-2018, 05:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Other than stopping on the side of the road to help one cross so it would not get hit by a vehicle I have no turtle stories. We did have those little ones as pets when we were very young, in the 60's.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:36 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
I live just a few blocks from the ocean in SC - there's a large group of volunteers all up and down the coast who are dedicated to preserving sea turtles. The group is called - South Carolina United Turtle Enthusiasts (S.C.U.T.E.)

If anyone other than an approved volunteer does anything to disturb or interfere with the sea turtles, there are strict state and federal penalties. Here's a link to one of the sub-groups:

https://www.townofpawleysisland.com/s-c-u-t-e/

I also live on a small lake that has hundreds of fresh water turtles - red eared sliders, yellow belly turtles, snapping turtles - you name it - there are literally hundreds of them in my backyard lake.

I'm trying to share a video of the turtles in my backyard lake, but I'm having trouble with the upload for some reason. They usually stay in the lake, except for spring time when they come up on land to lay their eggs. I also have a video of a turtle digging a hole in my yard and laying eggs, but I can't find it right now. If I do, I'll share it later, if I can.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:51 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobot View Post
I saved a medium sized snapper a couple of years ago after I watched a car drive right over it. I had already pulled over and was walking towards him, waving my hands for them to slow down, but nope....doofus drove right over him. Amazingly he survived, with a big chunk of shell cracked. Against better judgement, I picked him up and put him in my hatchback as my dog looked on, concerned about this strange creature behind him. I found a box to put him in, and drove him down to the wildlife rehab center. A few weeks later, they called and said he was patched up and I could bring him back to the area (but away from the road, of course lol).

Another hero....thank you.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I live just a few blocks from the ocean in SC - there's a large group of volunteers all up and down the coast who are dedicated to preserving sea turtles. The group is called - South Carolina United Turtle Enthusiasts (S.C.U.T.E.)

If anyone other than an approved volunteer does anything to disturb or interfere with the sea turtles, there are strict state and federal penalties. Here's a link to one of the sub-groups:

https://www.townofpawleysisland.com/s-c-u-t-e/

I also live on a small lake that has hundreds of fresh water turtles - red eared sliders, yellow belly turtles, snapping turtles - you name it - there are literally hundreds of them in my backyard lake.

I'm trying to share a video of the turtles in my backyard lake, but I'm having trouble with the upload for some reason. They usually stay in the lake, except for spring time when they come up on land to lay their eggs. I also have a video of a turtle digging a hole in my yard and laying eggs, but I can't find it right now. If I do, I'll share it later, if I can.
Yes, share if you can. You're fortunate to live on a lake...
seeing nature in action and so many different turtles

A friend is a member of the turtle patrol, she showed us the eggs hatching and the little guys heading to the ocean...quite the experience.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
And who said I did not love or appreciate them!

Now you tell me! Sorry!

Your story brought back a fishing memory from my 20's. Our friend caught something big and my ex went in the water to help. He was holding the end of the line inches away from a large snapping turtle in full fury. We laughed our butts off. That thing was mean but I guess I would be too if I had a hook in my mouth.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Hubs and I went down to the beach to watch the giant or blood moon and have a bottle of wine.

It was about midnight and this woman with a red flashlight (the bulb was red) came running by us on the beach. I told my husband we needed to follow her because I bet she was one of the turtle ladies.

Sure enough, a few yards away a turtle nest was starting to hatch!

My husband and I watched with the turtle ladies and it was one of the coolest, most moving thing I've ever seen. We all watched with tears streaming down our faces.

Bucket list for sure.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hubs and I went down to the beach to watch the giant or blood moon and have a bottle of wine.

It was about midnight and this woman with a red flashlight (the bulb was red) came running by us on the beach. I told my husband we needed to follow her because I bet she was one of the turtle ladies.

Sure enough, a few yards away a turtle nest was starting to hatch!

My husband and I watched with the turtle ladies and it was one of the coolest, most moving thing I've ever seen. We all watched with tears streaming down our faces.

Bucket list for sure.
Yes!! One of the most endearing nature activities I've ever seen too.
Good idea to follow the red light
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature