Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 AM

110 posts, read 83,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Froscow, I live in the Fraser Valley near the foothills of the Pacific Ranges mountains. Here and in the GVRD metro areas we have plenty of both grey squirrels and black squirrels, and also large predominantly grey squirrels that are actually coloured a specifically patterned mix of white, amber, sable brown, grey and black. None of these three colour types of 'grey' squirrels leave human inhabited areas of the valley/GVRD to go up into the mountains. I don't think they would survive in the wilderness since having become far too adapted to human habitations.

Conversely, you will see no Douglas squirrels in human inhabited areas of the valley and other parts of the southern BC lower mainland unless you hike far up into the forested mountains surrounding the valley, far away from all the cities and humans.

Outside of all of southern BC and the lower mainland, that is to say throughout the rest of BC and on most of the islands, there are red squirrels. And chipmunks. I miss chipmunks, I've seen them everwhere that red squirrels are found in British Columbia but have never seen them here in the lower mainland. I wish they were here (I love them all to little bits and pieces, they're so cute) but I think the much larger and more aggressive introduced greys must have driven them and the reds and Douglas squirrels out of the lower mainland many decades ago.

It would make more sense seeing a mix of both grey and black squirrels...but it seems here on the island they're ALL black. They mostly stay in human inhabited areas here as well but I have been seeing them more often in more remote areas too, like first growth forest areas.

I love chipmunks too! Unfortunately, none are found on the island I've only ever seen them in the okanagan/kootenay areas. There's lots of wildlife found on the mainland which you don't get here on Vancouver Island. Moose, foxes, grizzly bears, skunks..just to name a few. I think you guys have flying squirrels on the mainland as well, none here on V.Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We used to live where we had Abert’s squirrels, which are very dark brown to black, with conspicuous tufted ears. For a while, the silver Kaibab squirrels (silver with tufted ears) also hung around. They seemed to die out later, or maybe they left after drought parched the Ponderosa pines they like.

Here, we don’t have the tufties at our home, but they exist in other nearby areas.
Just googled them. Those are quite some ears! Almost like mini-rabbit ears

Old 06-06-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Red squirrels reside less in populated areas because they eat pine nuts and selectively try to live in pine forests rather than the random mix of items that greys eat. Instead of burying nuts, they put the pine cones in piles aboveground. They're actually more aggressive and loud than greys despite their small size.

Greys do not attack Tamiasciurus chickarees such as American Red Squirrel and Douglas squirrel, they just eat different food and behave differently. Greys and reds are in conflict in Europe because greys didn't live in Europe before and the red squirrels in Europe are a totally different species that has habits that are more similar to greys because they are both in the Sciurus genus. Rats drive chipmunks out of areas because they compete over foods.
Oh ok. I always thought the grey was just more aggressive and competitive...and drove the reds out. However that makes more sense. Where I live, the forest is mostly douglas-fir-hemlock...not much pine.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Lots of black squirrels here in Ontario. The black ones don't look so much like rodents as the boring grey ones.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:50 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
When we lived outside of Syracuse, NY we had them, but had never seen them in other parts of NY. Or, any other state we live in.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:57 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
I see a mix of black and grey squirrels in NYC and the mixed color ones are reddish, but they're all eastern greys.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:53 PM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
These are the black squirrels in the Wilmington NC area. This is my picture, sorry for the quality!
Attached Thumbnails
Black squirrels everywhere.-20180211_140446.jpg  

Old 06-06-2019, 12:58 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froscow View Post
Hello there. I live on Vancouver Island...just off the coast of BC, Canada. I think we have only one native squirrel on the island (the red squirrel) but we have the eastern gray which has been introduced here. Oddly enough though..none of them are grey...they're all black (or melanistic). 10 years ago, you'd see them only occasionally..but these days it seems like they're everywhere. They're even becoming a nuisance since they like to rob our bird feeders dry I just find it odd that none of them are actually grey, all melanistic. Anyone else live in areas with lots of black squirrels? Apparently they're also a lot more territorial and aggressive than the smaller red squirrel, and they push them out of their territory. It would make sense....I've only ever seen one red squirrel in the 17 years I've lived here.

Also..we don't have the douglas squirrel on vancouver island..even though it is found on the mainland.

We have black squirrels aplenty in Detroit. They seem to interbreed with the red ones. For years we had a squirrel in our yard who was black from the waist up and red from the waist down.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:05 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
These are the black squirrels in the Wilmington NC area. This is my picture, sorry for the quality!
Its coat color is very rich and looks like its been eating a lot of nuts.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Interesting. We have black ones here but they are not nearly that black and their tails arent fluffy at all They almost look wiry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature