Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 04:59 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,591,538 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh PA that have populations of black squirrels. Ironically one of them is called Squirrel Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,521,299 times
Default sasie123

I live in New York City, in a suburban borough, and we have flying black and grey squirrels..........it is a joy to see them chasing each other up a tree, and jump from one tree to the other......I feed them along with the birds.... lots of joy........

Old 06-14-2019, 07:51 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
My sister-in-law lives in a suburb outside of Detroit, MI and has a lot of black squirrels--probably more black ones than the regular grey ones. She lives across the road from a park so gets them in her yard all of the time.

When my parents lived in a more forested part of a Syracuse 'burb they had a few black squirrels.

I have only seen one black squirrel around here and that was climbing a tree in a park area. It's strange but I don't see many squirrels in this area for whatever reason, even out in the more rural areas.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
I don’t believe I have ever seen a black squirrel or a white one, they’re all grey around here, and I have a LOT of those.

I have only in the past couple of years started seeing chipmunks, but they’re not common at all.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:39 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don’t believe I have ever seen a black squirrel or a white one, they’re all grey around here, and I have a LOT of those.

I have only in the past couple of years started seeing chipmunks, but they’re not common at all.
No, no chippies here in SWFL either. I love chippies. We used to vacation at Lake Carmi in Vermont. Always took site #10 because it had chippies that would eat out of your hand! We went there for years. Each generation taught the new one not to be afraid of humans. I hope they never learned a lesson.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:10 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
No, no chippies here in SWFL either. I love chippies. We used to vacation at Lake Carmi in Vermont. Always took site #10 because it had chippies that would eat out of your hand! We went there for years. Each generation taught the new one not to be afraid of humans. I hope they never learned a lesson.
You would love it here then. We live in an area that is wooded and we get lots of chipmunks around here. They have pretty much gotten used to people and with so many of us feeding the birds they generally come right up on the porches and patios. They are funny to watch and my indoor only cats will sit for hours watching them run around the patio and chase each other around the plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature