Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them a little, like you do with a dog?

Sometimes in winter, I will see a young seal on the beaches of Long Island. They just lying there for rest I guess. They are so cute. I want to lay down next to it and hug it. I imagine their fur being so soft.

I am afraid they will bite me though. Seals are carnivores. Are young seals generally hostile like wolves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 12:41 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Leave them Alone! Or Mom Will Reject them & They will Die! STAY AWAY

Old 10-24-2019, 02:04 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them a little, like you do with a dog?

Sometimes in winter, I will see a young seal on the beaches of Long Island. They just lying there for rest I guess. They are so cute. I want to lay down next to it and hug it. I imagine their fur being so soft.

I am afraid they will bite me though. Seals are carnivores. Are young seals generally hostile like wolves?
If you intrude on any wild animals space, it will most likely leave or if trapped, defend itself. However if some idiot feeds them then they will associate humans with food. This can be hazardous to both animals and humans. Best action, observe from a distance.

There may also be laws against what you are thinking of. We have laws against feeding alligators. Not only is there a fine if caught, the gator(s) must be destroyed, which is the saddest part.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:22 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Quote:

And you want to disturb them why exactly? They likely are wet and smell bad. Get a dog or a cat to satisfy your need for cuteness, or just volunteer at the animal shelter. Leave wild animals alone.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:42 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:

The rule of thumb "When in doubt, don't try to snuggle with a carnivore!" has always worked well for me.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:59 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Please have someone film it. People doing stupid stuff with wild animals is always entertaining.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them?

No. It's illegal to touch or interfere with them. What you are suggesting - snuggling - is actually molestation in this scenario. It's harmful to the animal because of the mother's reaction and possible rejection of it if you leave your human scent on the youngster. If you do handle it you will frighten it and its cries for help may attract the attention of adult seals, as well as attracting other land predators that would kill it.

The youngsters and adults will attempt to bite you directly in the face or throat and rip it out if they can because they can't tolerate the smell of human breath and body odour, it stinks and the smell represents a grave threat to them. Also, seals smell very strongly like fish so you're likely not going to want to cuddle it and get that smell on you once you get up close enough to smell it anyway.

Put yourself in the young seal's place. If you were lying on the beach relaxing and enjoying the sun and minding your own business and some great big huge threatening stinky unknown animal that's bigger and heavier than you came along and lay down beside you and started molesting and confining you by gripping you with it's legs and holding you down how would you react in your fear? You'd be terrified and you'd bite it and try to do as much damage as possible to it and struggle mightily to get away from it.

If you want to snuggle with something cute and soft and fuzzy and harmless that won't fight back against you then go buy yourself a stuffed toy animal. Wild animals are not toys.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:15 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Please have someone film it. People doing stupid stuff with wild animals is always entertaining.
Best answer.

Seals will bite you hard, and it will hurt, no matter how cute they look.

I live near the ocean, and every so often an injured seal washes up. A couple of years ago there were several around the same time getting beached with bite marks, and it was determined that an adolescent great white was out there trying to move up from smaller creatures but couldn't quite get the seals in their mouth.

The seals were taken to the Brigantine Marine Rescue near Atlantic City. The seal keeper there warned people not to touch them if they found one, because he had already been bitten 17 times, and he was literally the hand that was feeding them.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:32 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Best answer.

Seals will bite you hard, and it will hurt, no matter how cute they look.

I live near the ocean, and every so often an injured seal washes up. A couple of years ago there were several around the same time getting beached with bite marks, and it was determined that an adolescent great white was out there trying to move up from smaller creatures but couldn't quite get the seals in their mouth.

The seals were taken to the Brigantine Marine Rescue near Atlantic City. The seal keeper there warned people not to touch them if they found one, because he had already been bitten 17 times, and he was literally the hand that was feeding them.
A sea lion has a mouth like a real lion and even a harbor seal can bite like a large dog.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:44 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Leave them Alone! Or Mom Will Reject them & They will Die! STAY AWAY
Ridiculous myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature