Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Everybody knows stepping into a parking lot creates the possibility of getting run over by a car -- but by a deer?

Ken Worthy had just finished lunch at the McDonald's in Locust, North Carolina, last Wednesday when -- out of the blue -- a deer galloped across the parking lot and bowled him over, according to CNN affiliate WSOC.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/31/us/de...rnd/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 09:45 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
That's absolutely crazy. I've been attacked by ducks in a Burger King parking lot, but they weren't big enough to knock me down.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:49 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
That's pretty wild. I've had to sit in my car in my drive waiting on the deer to leave my yard. No way I'm getting out and risk being run down by one. They also look a whole lot bigger from just a few feet away, lol.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:58 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
The deer probably just wanted to take some kind revenge for one of his relatives being road kill.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:44 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
And here, the stupid tourists try to hand feed the deer. When I stop and tell them how ill-advised that is and how dangerous deer can be (I've tackled them in nets before. The most dangerous animal I ever dealt with was a half-sedated 60 pound fawn.), they laugh or look at me like I'm crazy or mean, and go on their merry ignorant way feeding the deer.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
And here, the stupid tourists try to hand feed the deer. When I stop and tell them how ill-advised that is and how dangerous deer can be (I've tackled them in nets before. The most dangerous animal I ever dealt with was a half-sedated 60 pound fawn.), they laugh or look at me like I'm crazy or mean, and go on their merry ignorant way feeding the deer.
People refuse to accept that human-oriented deer are dangerous, not friendly. To them, a feeder is nothing but a supply of food.

Where we lived for a few years, the town was notorious for having literally hundreds of deer roaming everywhere right in city limits, crossing streets and lolling in little yards all the time. Eating every plant someone tried to raise, minus the least palatable ones and even then, you might be surprised by torn-off tops. I watched one jump from a dead standing stop immediately next to a 6’ tall fence, right over the top with no running start.

The town prohibited higher fencing. The speed limit was 25 mph or less everywhere. People had lots of gardens. Natural predators had been all but eradicated (“We must kill coyotes so they don’t eat our loose dogs and cats!”). And yes, fing idiots FED THE DEER.

I noticed that with deer, their response to any possible threat was indeed Fight or Flight. They do not think, they just blindly react. That includes bolting in an about-face from, say, a harassing loose dog...right into a car or fence or whatever. They don’t even look where they’re going TO in those flights. This might have been what happened in the OP’s cited incident.

Now we live in a rural area with large natural predators as well as seasonal human hunters. I don’t care about deer passing through our immediate home area, and I know they hang out here and there away from houses. The thing to watch for now is bored, untrained or disobedient loose dogs that chase wild animals.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:04 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
LOL! How did he not spill his Coke?!
Simone Biles would have spilled her Coke!

Old 02-04-2020, 12:19 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The deer probably just wanted to take some kind revenge for one of his relatives being road kill.
Or being cooked on the grill at McDonalds !

Old 02-04-2020, 02:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times
The deer was probably in a panic. I recall when I lived in western PA a deer wound up inside a supermarket, and in desperation to get out it crashed through a window. Several months later I was in the same market and another deer showed up in the store. Fortunately, it got no further than the vestibule area, and people were able to shoo it back out the door, and it bounded away through the parking lot towards the woods.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:33 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Before the awful McDonalds was there, the deer were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature