Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 03:44 PM

12,777 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

What tips would you give to first-time hikers? My SO & I may start doing some hiking here & there, so I started looking up trails in the area & reading comments about them. We'd only do it in the mornings, never evenings/nights for maybe 1-2 hrs. I'd never do it alone.

Of course we want an easy trail w/o any steep, slippery terrain. Fairly EASY is all we'll ever want because our point is not for a rigorous workout, but to stroll or walk while we talk, breathe fresh air, & see nice scenery.

I don't have actual hiking shoes, but I do have a few pairs of sneakers. Maybe if I enjoy hiking enough, I'll get some hiking shoes.

My main concern are wild animals, so I plan for us to carry a walking stick & even some bear spray. Not that there are necessarily bears around in our area, but I like that you can spray from many feet away w/o the animal having to be right up on you before you can spray them.

Any advice?

ALSO, if you have any, I want to hear (well, read) them...from the bad to the worst, most terrifying, odd, etc. hikes you've done. Also, say what you would have done to maybe prevent that experience from happening. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 05:08 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
What area of the country and what type of trails?

Old 10-07-2020, 08:40 AM

12,777 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What area of the country and what type of trails?

I'm in Southern California, so not some state where there's a lot of woods, etc. However, in my immediate area, There have been more & more coyote sightings amonst the neighborhoods & where cars are driving the streets, etc. I'm about a 30-minute drive from the mountains in the Mt. Baldy area. Some popular trails are the North Etiwanda Preserve, Day Creek Canyon, Cucamonga Creek Trail, Stoddard Peak Hike, Potato Mountain, & Bonita Falls.

Another thing I'm noticing is that many people say their cars have been broken into when they park at these trails' lots, yet, the city's VERY strict on parking & have towed people left & right if they park in any little nearby area they're not supposed to.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:48 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Take a survival course.
Invest in hiking boots.
Learn what to pack. First aide kit. ( Learn first aide !!! )
Any allergies, meds?
Altitude plays a part.
Stay on marked trails.
Have a flash light- fresh batteries.
Test your rope gear.
Outer gear.

Trust impeccably your hiking partner.

Had some fun times in hiking.....we stumbled upon an old cabin in the Appalachian trail. Stopped there because an old water well was on the property.
Knocked on the rickety door and the elder fell'r answered . Said we could enjoy the well water. Then Told us he was still the acting mayor in that area. We said, who voted you in..he said, why i did! I won, no contest !
That man had no one for miles....and lived off the land .

Worse time was hiking thru a gully. Burst of rain ....water from both sides ....and what was once a dry bed turned into a stream. We got pretty bashed up slipping on the rocks. Our outergear was fine....our bruises were pretty colorful by nightfall.

I recall in our survival class the rule of thumb was...if the weather said sunny..bring your rain gear. Ohhh so true!!

Old 10-07-2020, 02:51 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
What tips would you give to first-time hikers? My SO & I may start doing some hiking here & there, so I started looking up trails in the area & reading comments about them. We'd only do it in the mornings, never evenings/nights for maybe 1-2 hrs. I'd never do it alone.

Of course we want an easy trail w/o any steep, slippery terrain. Fairly EASY is all we'll ever want because our point is not for a rigorous workout, but to stroll or walk while we talk, breathe fresh air, & see nice scenery.

I don't have actual hiking shoes, but I do have a few pairs of sneakers. Maybe if I enjoy hiking enough, I'll get some hiking shoes.

My main concern are wild animals, so I plan for us to carry a walking stick & even some bear spray. Not that there are necessarily bears around in our area, but I like that you can spray from many feet away w/o the animal having to be right up on you before you can spray them.

Any advice?

ALSO, if you have any, I want to hear (well, read) them...from the bad to the worst, most terrifying, odd, etc. hikes you've done. Also, say what you would have done to maybe prevent that experience from happening. TIA!
If you are going to go to the extreme of carrying bear spray you'd better practice with the cannister trigger mechanisms and be prepared to get sprayed yourself. If it discharges accidentally or you get any drift in your face you will be incapacitated. BTDT. There's a right way and a wrong way to carry deterrent spray. Not in your pack or pocket. Carry it outside your clothing within hand's reach. You will not be able to carry bear spray on any public transportation and you need to know how to store and dispose of it properly. Serious HAZMAT substance that requires specialized shipping and handling.

In ideal conditions (NO wind...how common is that?) the effects of bear spray become marginal at about 30 feet. That's CLOSE! Any dangerous animal can cover that distance in seconds. People who've discharged sprays often say the noise of the propellant spooked the animal before the spray even reached them. The only animal I'd be very concerned about meeting in your region is a cougar. Almost everything else will avoid you if it can. At most, something might be mildly curious, not a threat. A brief loud call or making yourself look bigger will be more than enough to change their mind. If a cougar wants to prey on you it will be on you before you even realize its there. Understand them and know how to defend yourself.

https://hikingguy.com/how-to-hike/un...s-when-hiking/

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-07-2020 at 03:39 PM..

Old 10-07-2020, 03:15 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Why would you want to hear about scary experiences others had before going hiking? i don't get it.

as for advice, if it's only a one-time 2 hr hike your current shoes, assuming they're in good shape, should be fine. If/when you start going regularly, yes get hiking shoes BUT do not ever wear new shoes hiking. break them in 1st by wearing them around your house, shopping short walks around the block, whatever.

I'd also invest in something called a day pack. Carry some water, extra pair of socks, band aids, snacks of some kind, and more water.

Not a cell phone addict but I'd also recommend taking one and make sure it's fully charged.

Alone or not, tell someone where you're going and the approximate time you'll return.

Really, just have fun. Don't worry about the distance; take time to enjoy the view, listen to the sounds, and feel the wind.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:48 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Why would you want to hear about scary experiences others had before going hiking? i don't get it.
Don't get this either. Horror stories aren't the way to learn about a new sport. Reading about proper hiking skills and equipment will be. There must be a thousand books and websites about hiking in general and looking for a trail's land management agency website (is the trail you're interested in maintained/managed by a local, county, state, or federal agency?) will be the most helpful. You'll get updates about conditions and hazards if there doesn't happen to be a kiosk on site.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:58 PM

304 posts, read 151,520 times
Never hiked in Southern California, but here in the Northeast it is about as safe an activity as you can do. Our main problem here is being aware of and prepared for sudden weather changes. In the mountains you might start out in shorts at this time of the year and be in a snowstorm by the time you reach a summit. Sticking to lower elevations, you still need to bring something warm, probably something waterproof, a map, compass, guidebook (and know how to use them), some matches, a flashlight, plenty of water (at least a liter per person for day hikes), some high-energy snacks, and I do recommend getting some proper hiking shoes or boots depending on the terrain. It is very rare to have any issues with cars at trailheads, other than people locking their keys in the car or leaving the lights on. Ranger reports indicate the most common problems are getting lost (use your map and guidebook), tackling more than you can do easily in daylight (flashlight), and possibly twisting an ankle or falling and hurting yourself. Here in the east there are many areas without good cell phone service, so don't necessarily count on being able to use your phone for maps or to call for help. Take your time, be careful, and hike with a partner. Always sign in and out at trailheads. Have fun!

Old 10-07-2020, 04:19 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Everyone else has already given good advice. Always carry the Ten Essentials. You're chances of encountering a dangerous animal are so miniscule that it shouldn't even be on your danger list; the chances that your short day hike could inadvertently become something longer are much, much greater. Injuries from falls, drowning, and weather-related threats (hypothermia or heat stroke+dehydration) are by far the biggest risks a hiker takes!

Old 10-07-2020, 06:53 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Put on sunscreen and wear a hat.

If you're hiking in Glacier Nat'l Park, be concerned about bears. In So Cal, don't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature