Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 06:08 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

In most jurisdictions animal control does not deal with wild animals. Only domestic pets.

If you want to learn in general about the foxes you would want to call someone at Department of Fish and Wildlife or whatever it’s called in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 06:15 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Alrighty for the clarification. I have no experience with the fox population and appreciated your prior post which I gave you rep points for. I'm not particularly trying to be over reactive - but thought your mention of animal control might be a good alternative if the foxes became ever more present within the yard. Especially as you fully laid out the various diseases and possible danger they may pose. Animal control may have some strategies to keep them at bay.
You don't need animal control (or whatever entity responds to wildlife calls in your area) unless there's an immediate emergency. Based on what you described, there isn't. Don't waste their time just because you don't like seeing them. If you don't want foxes to visit your yard, discourage them in passive ways...fence them out, remove attractants like food, water or shelter. Discourage the kits by educating them...your yard is not their playground. Startle them. Maybe banging pots? Hand clapping and shouting at them? The foxes won't stick around if there's no reason to. They may just pass through periodically.

Also, be aware that many areas no longer allow trapped wildlife to be relocated because of concerns over parvo, rabies and distemper transmission. The animals must be destroyed even if they don't appear sick. Don't call unless you don't have a choice. You could end up killing them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-16-2021 at 07:09 PM..

Old 04-16-2021, 06:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
I have foxes around here all the time, and I thoroughly enjoy them. I just have to make sure when I let my chickens out that I stay out with them, because a fox will come and snatch one. Other than that, they are a treat to have around.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:43 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
40 years ago I used to fly small airplanes out of Long Beach Airport. Got into a large problem with long eared rabbits sunning on the run ways. We small plane pilots simply ducked them but the commercial jets all feared ingesting one. So the airport got a couple of families of foxes at both ends of the runways. Couple of months no more rabbits.

Last I heard the foxes still survive though fed by the airport mostly.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:29 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Alrighty for the clarification. I have no experience with the fox population and appreciated your prior post which I gave you rep points for. I'm not particularly trying to be over reactive - but thought your mention of animal control might be a good alternative if the foxes became ever more present within the yard. Especially as you fully laid out the various diseases and possible danger they may pose. Animal control may have some strategies to keep them at bay.

Just be aware of their behavior. If they start acting unusual, they could be a problem. A fox won't usually attack an adult, or even get close, but if one approaches and is acting aggressive it could be rabid.

Don't get between the adults and the young. I don't know if that would provoke aggression in a fox, but I know it does with bear.

I have a fox that hangs around here, it was known for killing the neighbor's chickens. I had a clear shot at it one afternoon but I pulled it off just as I pulled the trigger because I realized that it was hunting rodents. Since I lost all of my beehives to shrews one year, I decided that *I* was better off to just let the fox keep hunting (along with the kestrels, harriers, wildcat, and now a bald eagle). The neighbor has given up trying to keep chickens.

The coyotes, on the other hand...the pack is getting bigger, and bolder...something is going to have to be done about them...

Old 04-16-2021, 08:56 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I would love to have foxes in my yard.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:07 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Not speaking from experience here, but it seems possible that just the sight and sound of a big dog
might make the foxes go elsewhere.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:31 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Someone mentioned calling animal control. My husband did that one day when a fox decided to take a nap in the backyard. We were surprised because we thought they were nocturnal. The person at animal control told my husband it's not uncommon to see foxes out in the daylight, especially when colder weather is approaching. He also said that foxes will, at that time of year, hunt in the daylight. Once they catch and kill their prey, they bury it and dig it up later to eat. In the end, he also said that if the fox is just napping, it will move on when it wakes up.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:56 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
OP, if you're afraid of having the foxes coming into your yard set up a motion sensor sprinkler in the yard. Getting soaked by water a couple of times should discourage them from returning. Foxes don't like to get wet.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:48 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Just be aware of their behavior. If they start acting unusual, they could be a problem. A fox won't usually attack an adult, or even get close, but if one approaches and is acting aggressive it could be rabid.

Don't get between the adults and the young. I don't know if that would provoke aggression in a fox, but I know it does with bear.

I have a fox that hangs around here, it was known for killing the neighbor's chickens. I had a clear shot at it one afternoon but I pulled it off just as I pulled the trigger because I realized that it was hunting rodents. Since I lost all of my beehives to shrews one year, I decided that *I* was better off to just let the fox keep hunting (along with the kestrels, harriers, wildcat, and now a bald eagle). The neighbor has given up trying to keep chickens.

The coyotes, on the other hand...the pack is getting bigger, and bolder...something is going to have to be done about them...
I would not want to deal with Coyotes or wildcats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature