Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 09:11 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,074,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your house set up is very much like mine was before I downsized.

They are capable of taking cats or very small dogs.

Small children and above should be fine.

Side comments:

1. If you have fox, you have coyote too. They WILL remove the outdoor cats from the neighborhood with reasonable efficiency. They'll also make a go for dogs, so don't tether your dog outside and coyotes can clear fences very easily. (google that if interested)

2. They will have a den, that's not so much the issue but go around your ENTIRE HOUSE and look for groundhogs digging holes that Fox will use (hey pre-dug). They can cost you a lot in foundation repair by undermining things. Sometimes it will be subtle like they'll go under the deck and THEN burrow under the house from there. You want ZERO burrow holes around your foundation.
Yes, they are currently burrowing under my deck outside my bedroom. I'm stumped as to how to cover it up so they can't continue to dig.

Any suggestions?

I'm not fond of these foxes, they're chewed holes thru my roof.
I really dislike having them around. Time to get a dog, a big dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 10:02 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Yes, they are currently burrowing under my deck outside my bedroom. I'm stumped as to how to cover it up so they can't continue to dig.

Any suggestions?

What kind do you have? Flying Foxes?

Old 04-19-2021, 10:53 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Foxes are cool. :-)

Something to remember about Foxes...they are curious, and have (as far as wild animals go) not a lot of natural fear. The curiosity kind of balances out the fear.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:25 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?

1. Make sure they know they're not welcome. Throw moth balls or smoke bomb the hole etc. google for ideas.

2. Get some bricks from home depot or if you have rocks in your neighborhood or a nearby housing project going in with piles of dirt with rocks you can just grab some for free. Plug any hole they dig with rocks. Shove them in further with a pole if need be. They don't want to keep digging.

Misc. ideas include shoot them with airsoft gun (plastic pellet to the hiney stings) or fire a bottle rocket if you see them outside etc. depends upon your neighbors proximity etc.

Basically, make them feel unwanted and hassled.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:28 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Probably some other structures that they can make the jumps from....like ground to table to top of fence to roof.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:17 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?

Part of your problem is that they've already established themselves there, so they'll continue to "fix" what you disrupt. Its harder to disrupt an existing "behavior" or territory instead of discourage it from the beginning. You'll need to expend more energy to change it. Fill the burrows with rocks, level the soil, then lay a strip of galvanized wire mesh along the deck and spread gravel, bricks, or pavers on top. Maybe set motion-activated sprinklers or lights. If you only put down wire a really determined fox might chew through it, but it will discourage most. Too much trouble.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
.. like the bats in Okinawa!

Old 04-19-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:

HA ha funny guy...really they get up on my roof to keep warm by my heating/cooling unit.

My neighbor sees them up there.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. Make sure they know they're not welcome. Throw moth balls or smoke bomb the hole etc. google for ideas.

2. Get some bricks from home depot or if you have rocks in your neighborhood or a nearby housing project going in with piles of dirt with rocks you can just grab some for free. Plug any hole they dig with rocks. Shove them in further with a pole if need be. They don't want to keep digging.

Misc. ideas include shoot them with airsoft gun (plastic pellet to the hiney stings) or fire a bottle rocket if you see them outside etc. depends upon your neighbors proximity etc.

Basically, make them feel unwanted and hassled.

Ok, thanks ..all good ideas.

I just went out and emptied the Home Defense bug container in the hole. And , then I put cloves of garlic in there too..lol.

I'm going to Home Depot in a couple of days, I'll pick up some bricks.

I've been shoving all kinds of things in front of the hole, but they keep on moving them.....it's become kind of a game. And, I'm losing.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks ..all good ideas.

I just went out and emptied the Home Defense bug container in the hole. And , then I put cloves of garlic in there too..lol.

I'm going to Home Depot in a couple of days, I'll pick up some bricks.

I've been shoving all kinds of things in front of the hole, but they keep on moving them.....it's become kind of a game. And, I'm losing.

I don't know for a fact, but I don't think smelly stuff bothers them much. I've read that they're not meticulous about keeping their dens clean, and they're often smelly because of bits of dead flesh and bones laying around. So...garlic might not bother them much at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature