Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:28 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times

Advertisements

I'm curious too! Has anyone asked the folks in the DE Forum yet? (Gonna go look.) If not, Mods is it OK to post a thread with this link in DE (maybe somebody there knows, who don't visit the Pet Forum)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Can't cross post but you can ask the question and post the link to this thread.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonitd View Post
My kids put out some kind of deer food they made at school for rudulph. I heard a noise at night, look out and there he was!
Did you see it eating? If you saw it eating did it a) use its front paws to pick up the food or b) eat like a cat or dog?

LOL - last year not far from us they found a dead animal that people (people who should know better too) swore was ........ wait for it.......... a chupacabra.

(Chupacabra translates literally to "goatsucker" - it's a mythical beast that goes around killing goats. Sort of like a goat Dracula. ) They DNA tested it (isn't it nice to know where your tax dollars are going?) because "no one" could identify it. (They could have asked me. I'd have done it for free. ) It turned out to be a coyote with very bad mange so that by the time it died, it was hairless and it's skin has turned leathery - as untreated mange will do. Then leave dead, mange-ridden, furless coyote out in the TX summer sun..... and listen to the cries of "OMG, it's a chupacabra" .

Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
A nice poster in DE thinks, as tcackly has, that the description fits that of a Coatimundi and posted this great link (video of it) White-nosed_Coati (Coatimundi) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsnaz/4103270509 - broken link).

Apparently (unfortunately) these creatures are becoming more popular as exotic pets as well. Pretty cool images on top of results page: Google

If the things y'all saw had a long-ish snout, I, too, think this may be your critter!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Did you see it eating? If you saw it eating did it a) use its front paws to pick up the food or b) eat like a cat or dog?

LOL - last year not far from us they found a dead animal that people (people who should know better too) swore was ........ wait for it.......... a chupacabra.

(Chupacabra translates literally to "goatsucker" - it's a mythical beast that goes around killing goats. Sort of like a goat Dracula. ) They DNA tested it (isn't it nice to know where your tax dollars are going?) because "no one" could identify it. (They could have asked me. I'd have done it for free. ) It turned out to be a coyote with very bad mange so that by the time it died, it was hairless and it's skin has turned leathery - as untreated mange will do. Then leave dead, mange-ridden, furless coyote out in the TX summer sun..... and listen to the cries of "OMG, it's a chupacabra" .
LOL...that scenario was the first I thought of when reading this. We too, have sightings of the elusive chupacabra all the time. Texas

Old 12-29-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
A nice poster in DE thinks, as tcackly has, that the description fits that of a Coatimundi and posted this great link (video of it) White-nosed_Coati (Coatimundi) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsnaz/4103270509 - broken link).

Apparently (unfortunately) these creatures are becoming more popular as exotic pets as well. Pretty cool images on top of results page: Google

If the things y'all saw had a long-ish snout, I, too, think this may be your critter!
Looks and sounds promising!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
If I could not identify a local animal, I would contact my local fish and game authorities. . . they will know what is native in the region, and what are living there as feral animals, escaped from captivity.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM

So.....any more sightings? Curious minds want to know!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
If I could not identify a local animal, I would contact my local fish and game authorities. . . they will know what is native in the region, and what are living there as feral animals, escaped from captivity.
Not necessarily. I've got a mountain lion living in the woods by my house. I saw it close up with my husband. We both saw the same thing. When we asked our neighbor - who's son is a wildlife officer - he said people keep saying we have them in our area but we don't and it's just wild dogs. I've been doing rescue over 12 years and dog training over 15. I'm pretty sure I know what a dog looks like. That was no dog, it was a mountain lion.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:13 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,814 times
I have seen quite a few Coatimundi while traveling south in Central America and it really does sound like your description. They walk with a tail upright, are about the size you described and the colors even match. While i was down there, some locals had a couple as pets and they really resembled monkeys. I imagine it could have been an escaped or released pet.

Here is a description from wilkipedia...does it ring a bell?

"All coatis share a slender head with an elongated, flexible, slightly upward-turned nose, small ears, dark feet, and a long, non-prehensile tail used for balance and signaling.
Ring-tailed coatis have either a light brown or black coat, with a lighter under-part and a white-ringed tail in most cases. Coatis have a long brown tail with rings on it which are anywhere from starkly defined like a raccoon's to very faint. Like raccoons and unlike Ring-tailed Cats and Cacomistles, the rings go completely around the tail. Coatis often hold the tail erect, and it used as such to keep troops of coatis together in tall vegetation. The tip of the tail can be moved a bit on its own, as is the case with cats, but it is not prehensile as is that of the kinkajou, another procyonid."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature