Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 8,629 times

Advertisements

Hey all;

I am an Iraqi emigrant, i worked with USArmy & have my chance to live in the States, they "emigration dept." asked me which State you want to be re-settlement in? i chose NE.

but i am asking because i am wondering is there any issue for an Arab Moslem family living in NE?
and what is the best county to live in? Omaha, Lincoln,.....?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,539 times
I honestly don't know anybody who is against Islam here in Omaha. There are people at my job that have prayer sessions and they tell me they don't have any problems here.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Omaha honors, thank you alot for your reply
i am so happy for it.

but how about the jobs there? i am an english teacher here in Iraq.
what kinds of jobs i can find in Omaha?

thanks

Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Well.... what kind of education do you have? You may want to look into some college classes when you get here if you want a good paying job. But I have a feeling that you will have better grammar than most Americans. Hahaha I speak English good!!!! =)

Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz-Iraqi View Post
Omaha honors, thank you alot for your reply
i am so happy for it.

but how about the jobs there? i am an english teacher here in Iraq.
what kinds of jobs i can find in Omaha?

thanks
There's an extensive array of jobs.

If you don't mind me asking you to spill the beans as to what you are looking for?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:30 PM

thanks all for answering me.
well, actually i like jobs which pay 10-12$ per hour, & about teaching in America will take a very long time to finish it, and i need to get a good amount of money, to bring my family.
i can bring them with me, but it will be a lil rough for them, since some charity organization will give us an apartment for 3 or 4 months only, till i got a job

i am interested in working with military as a translator, and don't know if i will be able to get such a job.
by the way, i graduated from Educational University in Iraq.
thanks

Last edited by aziz-Iraqi; 07-10-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz-Iraqi View Post
Hey all;

I am an Iraqi emigrant, i worked with USArmy & have my chance to live in the States, they "emigration dept." asked me which State you want to be re-settlement in? i chose NE.

but i am asking because i am wondering is there any issue for an Arab Moslem family living in NE?
and what is the best county to live in? Omaha, Lincoln,.....?

thank you
I think you'll want to live in Omaha - particularly in the East part of the city. It's very ethnically diverse.

Regarding doing translation work, I think you might want to check with Offutt Air Force Base in Bellevue. Beyond that, I really don't know.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:22 PM

123 posts, read 409,149 times
Well, when you get here - welcome to Nebraska and the USA! I think you might want to look into Lincoln. They have a pretty good Muslim following and a mosque there. There are also state government jobs in Lincoln but I don't know what sort of translator jobs you might find there.

Lincoln is a more of a big town and Omaha is more of a small city. Lincoln is a much better place for walking and public transit...Omaha is more spread out and car-reliant.

I'm not really sure Nebraska is the best place for translator jobs...but the economy here is good and you can for sure find a job that pays 10-12 dollars an hour easy. Just make sure you have a HS diploma!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 PM

143 posts, read 112,616 times
With a domesticated Iraqi accent, family history, and living experience, I would research some federal intelligence agencies to see what they look for and seek applicable education. However, you will probably have to lea ve your family here in the states for extended periods of time.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Thanks for all who responded. Its really Great to see such ppl caring.
btw, it doesn't matter to me if the place i will live in there are Muslim's or mosque. all what i am caring about is a nice & low crime level place to live in.

I am out going person, i do make friends so fast .
My destination will be Nebraska. thats what i do want & hope.

anymore information's will be so appreciated.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska