Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 PM

127 posts, read 134,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
And genetically, there are far more than two sexes.
That tells me all I need to know about where you're coming from.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 PM

84 posts, read 138,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa View Post
The question remains: is this mentality favored by a majority, a sizeable minority, or just a handful of fringe activists?
It's a handful of fringe activists. Most of humanity, including most Lincolnites, find 'transexuality' to be repulsive. Very few overt homosexuals exist in Lincoln and I've never even encountered a tranny here before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa
However, what's odd is that my part of California is solidly red, whereas Lancaster County seems to be a bluish purple. I worry about going from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.
I think it would be a big mistake to move anywhere based upon the results of US elections. First, because there are no real differences between the two parties on any issues that actually matter (i.e. economics and foreign policy). Secondly, there are a large number of other factors that are more important when deciding where to move (i.e. the local economy, culture, climate, scenery, and entertainment options). For example, you wouldn't want to move to Lincoln if you hate cold weather and college football. Someone like that would not have much fun living here.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:22 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Quote:
That tells me all I need to know about where you're coming from.
Look it up. Specifically, people missing a second chromosome. Instead of XY or XX they are just X. Intersex. Now then, I've had enough slurs for my week, so I'm done with this thread.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Nebraska Native View Post
It's a handful of fringe activists. Most of humanity, including most Lincolnites, find 'transexuality' to be repulsive. Very few overt homosexuals exist in Lincoln and I've never even encountered a tranny here before.
I appreciate the clarity here. Very reassuring.

Quote:
I think it would be a big mistake to move anywhere based upon the results of US elections. First, because there are no real differences between the two parties on any issues that actually matter (i.e. economics and foreign policy). Secondly, there are a large number of other factors that are more important when deciding where to move (i.e. the local economy, culture, climate, scenery, and entertainment options).
I agree that election data is of limited usefulness. But I have found that it's generally a reliable indicator - a proxy - of where a population stands on social issues. And in my opinion, those are the only issues that really matter. Every other problem in this country can be traced to handful of social issues. I want to know what my neighbors think about faith, family, and morality; I don't much care what they think about sports or the weather.

Quote:
For example, you wouldn't want to move to Lincoln if you hate cold weather and college football. Someone like that would not have much fun living here.
The cold weather is an issue! I'm almost 50 years old and spoiled rotten when it comes to weather. We get some light freezes in the winter, but they are brief and never below 20 F. How difficult an adjustment would it be?

Last edited by Vallombrosa; 10-27-2014 at 12:55 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Look it up. Specifically, people missing a second chromosome. Instead of XY or XX they are just X. Intersex. Now then, I've had enough slurs for my week, so I'm done with this thread.
Fair enough, it happens, but intersex is a biological defect, not a sex.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:38 AM

84 posts, read 138,696 times
Quote:
I want to know what my neighbors think about faith, family, and morality; I don't much care what they think about sports or the weather.
A 2012 Gallup poll found Lincoln to be 34% non-religious (scroll down to the list of cities to compare them). That's a lot less religious than many of the cities on the list. If you want to find a religious city, there is probably one a lot closer to California, in Utah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa
The cold weather is an issue! I'm almost 50 years old and spoiled rotten when it comes to weather. We get some light freezes in the winter, but they are brief and never below 20 F. How difficult an adjustment would it be?
During January and February, it is often below 20 degrees. Sometimes it will even be below zero for a while. The record cold was -33, but I've never experienced it that cold here before. Usually about -10 is the worst it gets. Those two months are usually not a very enjoyable time to be outside walking. Sometimes we get mild winters (like 2012, when there was very little snow or extreme cold), but that is not the norm.

The worst part of winter is dealing with icy roads. If you are not used to driving on snow and ice, it could be dangerous. If you don't start slowing down soon enough, you can easily slide out into an intersection and get into a serious accident. One guy last year drove his truck into a pond. He was able to get out, but his truck sank and they had to send down a scuba diver to attach a chain to it in order to pull it out.

The other annoying part is shoveling snow. You're expected to keep your sidewalks clear. And if you want to go anywhere after a big snowfall, you'll have to clear out your driveway. That isn't fun, especially after a snowplow leaves a big ridge of very heavy, icy-snow chunks at the edge of your driveway. After you've had your turn at one of those, it becomes easy to see why some people have heart attacks while shoveling snow.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Thank you for the generous welcome, Gunluvver. I know that Lincoln has many good citizens. My grandfather was from Lincoln and I've always had a sentimental respect for your city, knowing his character. I hope to visit for the first time in May next year.

However, what's odd is that my part of California is solidly red, whereas Lancaster County seems to be a bluish purple. I worry about going from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.

Vollombrosa,
Yes Lincoln and Omaha are more Purple than Red in presidential elections at least. However our three Congressmen and both of our Senators are G.O.P members plus our Governor, Attorney General and a significant number of other elective offices. In the Omaha and Lincoln areas I am not positive but I believe Obama had a slight edge in votes in both the 2008 and 2012 elections.

The University of Nebraska and the smaller Nebraska Wesleyan University and several other colleges call Lincoln home. Both UNL and NWU are and have been infested with Professors (usually in the Humanities) leaning towards the left. The major newspaper in Lincoln is the Lincoln Journal Star. The LJS has been supportive of the Homosexual lifestyle for the past forty years. Go to JournalStar.com and you can read them online. After ten days they will ask you to subscribe. However I refuse to pay to support their Liberal Agenda and my workaround is to clear my browser history every day. So far this has worked.

The Omaha World Herald is probably the most influential newspaper in the state and it is not quite as Liberal as the LJS. Omaha is more of a Blue Collar type town with a larger variety of work opportunities. State and Federal jobs dominate the Lincoln job market. Omaha has a lot of Union Pacific rail jobs and Lincoln has the Burlington Northern.

I love Nebraska. I grew up on a farm/ranch in Eastern Colorado and left Colorado to go to College in Nebraska. I would like to move back to the Western end of the State because of the better hunting and fishing but because I am retired now and I am not physically as active as I was in my younger years Lincoln is probably a better fit for me now. One thing that I really like about Lincoln is their LIBRARY system. The Lincoln Public library system has to be one of the best in the country. If you need really technical materials the University of Lincoln, Nebraska Wesleyan and South East Community College Libraries have extensive collections.

You mention weather. I am in my late 60s and I have used a motorcycle as my first choice in transportation since in my teens. I usually manage to get in a few miles of riding every month of the year. When I was younger things like ice and snow might slow me down but they wouldn't stop me. However age catches up to us all so I am a bit more cautious now and I find myself depending more and more on my trusty pickumup truck.

If you have any questions about Nebraska that I can help you with let me know.

Gunluvver2

Old 10-27-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
A 2012 Gallup poll found Lincoln to be 34% non-religious (scroll down to the list of cities to compare them). That's a lot less religious than many of the cities on the list.
Thanks for this link. I suspect Lincoln's "non-religious" stat isn't unusual for a college town. What was surprising is that Lincoln's "highly religious" stat - 40.2% - surpasses that of so many other midwestern and southern cities. This hints at a polarized community. As far as these numbers go, I'm not discouraged.

Quote:
If you want to find a religious city, there is probably one a lot closer to California, in Utah.
Mormons make great neighbors, but a Mormon city wouldn't be a good fit.

Quote:
During January and February, it is often below 20 degrees. Sometimes it will even be below zero for a while. The record cold was -33, but I've never experienced it that cold here before. Usually about -10 is the worst it gets. Those two months are usually not a very enjoyable time to be outside walking. Sometimes we get mild winters (like 2012, when there was very little snow or extreme cold), but that is not the norm.

The worst part of winter is dealing with icy roads. If you are not used to driving on snow and ice, it could be dangerous. If you don't start slowing down soon enough, you can easily slide out into an intersection and get into a serious accident. One guy last year drove his truck into a pond. He was able to get out, but his truck sank and they had to send down a scuba diver to attach a chain to it in order to pull it out.

The other annoying part is shoveling snow. You're expected to keep your sidewalks clear. And if you want to go anywhere after a big snowfall, you'll have to clear out your driveway. That isn't fun, especially after a snowplow leaves a big ridge of very heavy, icy-snow chunks at the edge of your driveway. After you've had your turn at one of those, it becomes easy to see why some people have heart attacks while shoveling snow.
Two months staying indoors would be a big adjustment. The shoveling doesn't sound too bad if one is ready for it. I suppose it needs to be planned for. It's probably those Monday morning surprises that annoys the heck of people. How much time does the city give you to clear your sidewalks?

Last edited by Vallombrosa; 10-27-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
If you have any questions about Nebraska that I can help you with let me know. Gunluvver2
What an informative post. Many thanks.

One of the many factors we're taking into consideration is the ability of our children and grandchildren to settle and find jobs in a variety of fields. Eastern Nebraska has had remarkably low unemployment throughout this recession. Your state must be doing something right.

Another good indicator: Lincoln has a high marriage rate (47.8%) and a low divorce rate (10.7%). These two things are not commonly found together.

It's frustrating to have a major daily paper and a public school system that work against the values of a community. I've seen this play out in California time and time again. What happens is that, over the years, those two major influences eventually change the culture of the city for the worse.

My hat's off to you, sir, blasting through Lincoln's winters on a motorcycle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: