Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:57 AM

127 posts, read 134,696 times

Advertisements

Lincoln is one of the top cities we are considering for relocation, but a recent news story out of Lincoln has me concerned. I'm from California, and so far as I know the schools around here aren't anywhere near this crazy. What's going on in Lincoln? Do many people in Lincoln think like this?

A Nebraska school district has instructed its teachers to stop referring to students by "gendered expressions" such as "boys and girls," and use "gender inclusive" ones such as "purple penguins" instead.

"Don’t use phrases such as ‘boys and girls,’ ‘you guys,’ ‘ladies and gentlemen,’ and similarly gendered expressions to get kids’ attention,” instructs a training document given to middle-school teachers at the Lincoln Public Schools.

“Create classroom names and then ask all of the ‘purple penguins’ to meet on the rug,” it advises.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:56 AM

84 posts, read 138,671 times
Unfortunately, somemodcut activist group got a middle school here in town to hand out a really lame leaflet to the teachers about "gender." However, the LPS superintendent has stated that teachers are not required to follow its laughable recommendations. So it was not some kind of official policy, but apparently some national media outlets falsely implied that it was. Given how pushy the modcut activist groups are becoming, this could probably happen in any US city, so there's no reason to worry about moving here.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 10-30-2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 10:05 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa View Post
Lincoln is one of the top cities we are considering for relocation, but a recent news story out of Lincoln has me concerned. I'm from California, and so far as I know the schools around here aren't anywhere near this crazy. What's going on in Lincoln? Do many people in Lincoln think like this?

A Nebraska school district has instructed its teachers to stop referring to students by "gendered expressions" such as "boys and girls," and use "gender inclusive" ones such as "purple penguins" instead.

"Don’t use phrases such as ‘boys and girls,’ ‘you guys,’ ‘ladies and gentlemen,’ and similarly gendered expressions to get kids’ attention,” instructs a training document given to middle-school teachers at the Lincoln Public Schools.

“Create classroom names and then ask all of the ‘purple penguins’ to meet on the rug,” it advises.
These aren't absolute rules, but rather guidelines. My advice is not to get your news from sites from the National Review, because they will not give you the whole story, but rather they take a sensationalized slant to get page hits. But growing up in a gender inclusive environment will not harm your children. If anything, it will be better for them.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Nebraska Native View Post
Unfortunately, some tranny activist group got a middle school here in town to hand out a really lame leaflet to the teachers about "gender." However, the LPS superintendent has stated that teachers are not required to follow its laughable recommendations. So it was not some kind of official policy, but apparently some national media outlets falsely implied that it was. Given how pushy the tranny activist groups are becoming, this could probably happen in any US city, so there's no reason to worry about moving here.
Thank you for this explanation. That's something of a relief. However, it doesn't sound like the LPS has actually repudiated the guidelines, just explained that they are voluntary. Apparently the superintendent sees nothing wrong with them. So, it still kind of makes one wonder about the culture of Lincoln schools and even Lincoln itself. The question remains: is this mentality favored by a majority, a sizeable minority, or just a handful of fringe activists?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
These aren't absolute rules, but rather guidelines. My advice is not to get your news from sites from the National Review, because they will not give you the whole story, but rather they take a sensationalized slant to get page hits.
Good point, they do tend to sensationalism. But they often report things MSM sites ignore, such as this story. So I read them anyway.

Quote:
But growing up in a gender inclusive environment will not harm your children. If anything, it will be better for them.
By "gender inclusive environment", if you mean an environment with both males and females, I agree. Aren't Lincoln schools already co-ed? But I suspect you had something else in mind. Are you from Lincoln?

Last edited by Vallombrosa; 10-24-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Good point, they do tend to sensationalism. But they often report things MSM sites ignore, such as this story. So I read them anyway.

By "gender inclusive environment", if you mean an environment with both males and females, I agree. Aren't Lincoln schools already co-ed? But I suspect you had something else in mind. Are you from Lincoln?
LPS staff's transgender training concerns parents : Lincoln, NE Journal Star

Here's a better article about the issue.

I'm from Omaha originally, so just up the road. Effectively what I mean to say is LPS is trying to be more inclusive of kids who may not necessarily fit into stereotypical male/female roles. Gender is a very tricky thing to deal with, so LPS is simply trying to remove gender as a dominating way of categorizing students.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
LPS staff's transgender training concerns parents : Lincoln, NE Journal Star

Here's a better article about the issue.

I'm from Omaha originally, so just up the road. Effectively what I mean to say is LPS is trying to be more inclusive of kids who may not necessarily fit into stereotypical male/female roles. Gender is a very tricky thing to deal with, so LPS is simply trying to remove gender as a dominating way of categorizing students.
Well, there are only two sexes, and we don't get to choose our own. Schools that confuse children about this are doing them a great deal of harm. If some don't quite fit into stereotypical roles, they can still be helped to be the best men and women they can be. That will sometimes mean boys and girls being treated according to the cultural norms appropriate to their sex. This is healthy and to be encouraged.

Back on topic, it seems that LPS is actually committed to a transgender ideology, which would not be the case if the same ideology didn't have a foothold in Lincoln as a community.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Well, there are only two sexes, and we don't get to choose our own. Schools that confuse children about this are doing them a great deal of harm. If some don't quite fit into stereotypical roles, they can still be helped to be the best men and women they can be. That will sometimes mean boys and girls being treated according to the cultural norms appropriate to their sex. This is healthy and to be encouraged.

Back on topic, it seems that LPS is actually committed to a transgender ideology, which would not be the case if the same ideology didn't have a foothold in Lincoln as a community.
Gender does not equal sex. And genetically, there are far more than two sexes.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:

I have lived in the Lincoln area for the past fifty years and I have seen the Homosexual community take over our local news media and our school system. Our local newspaper, the Lincoln Journal Star, led the agenda to push this lifestyle. Of course most of the editorial staff of almost any newspaper have college degrees, usually in the Humanities. Political Correctness is the newest religion on the block.

Vollombrosa I hope you decide to make the Lincoln area your future home. The Lunatics haven't totally taken over our City yet and we need new people with the backbone to stand up to these idiots. For the most part Lincoln has some very good public schools in spite of a whacked out administration.

Gunluvver2

Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Vollombrosa I hope you decide to make the Lincoln area your future home. The Lunatics haven't totally taken over our City yet and we need new people with the backbone to stand up to these idiots. For the most part Lincoln has some very good public schools in spite of a whacked out administration.

Gunluvver2
Thank you for the generous welcome, Gunluvver. I know that Lincoln has many good citizens. My grandfather was from Lincoln and I've always had a sentimental respect for your city, knowing his character. I hope to visit for the first time in May next year.

However, what's odd is that my part of California is solidly red, whereas Lancaster County seems to be a bluish purple. I worry about going from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: