Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:11 AM

212 posts, read 901,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Make all the noise you want, but its not gonna help at all considering snakes dont have ears.

If you want to be safe in rattlesnake country while out in the bush, simply buy a pair of snake chaps and snake boots, theyre bite-proof. Other than that, you can take all the precautions you want, but they wont prevent you 100% against getting bit. Rattlesnakes are the ones that want to be left alone, but will stand their ground if they feel threatened, unlike most other snakes that simply retreat. Simply give them a wide birth and go around. And dont kill them unless absolutely necessary, theyre VERY beneficial for controlling the disease-spreding/crop destroying vermin populations.
Yes, snakes don't have ears, but they would feel the vibration in the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 25,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
In eastern Nebraska you generally have to go to the northern region of the state to get into poisonous snakes... (snip)
Except for an area in extreme southeastern Nebraska (Richardson, Johnson, Nemaha, Pawnee counties), which has some populations of prairie rattlesnakes. Massasauga rattlers and copperheads have also been recorded in the area but I'm not sure how current that information is. Sightings are not common and I have not heard of a human snakebite case in modern times.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,035 times
quote=checotah44;4081152]I'm thinking of moving to Scottsbluff, Ne but have to ask about the rattle snakes...do you see them in town? If they bite your dog,would it be okay? ie would the dog die? stuff like that. I've heard you rarely see them and that they are a "gentleman's snake". I lived in Oklahoma for a while and was more worried about copper heads there. Any info on this would be helpful. Guess this is probabaly soemthing stupid to worry about. You all are used to them but I'm one of those people who just cant get over the fear of snakes. I think the littles ones freak me out more cause they are so quick. Thanks again.[/quote]

as far as in town. You might see one. I have lived in scottsbluff and gering since I was about 5. I have never seen a rattlesnake. I have seen a couple of gardener snakes but that is about it.
I moved out of state last year and where I live now. I have seen three snakes in my yard in the last 7 months. so I would say that in town you might not even see one. Out of town you probably would.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:52 PM

212 posts, read 901,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippomg View Post
Sorry for asking, but based on these posts, am I to assume there are a ton of snakes in Nebraska? Is a big problem here? We're considering a move to Lincoln/Omaha?

Just curious?
I live in Lincoln, and I hardly ever see snakes here. One day when I was walking to work, I saw a snake, and was shocked to actually see one so close to houses. It was dead, but it was still there. If you do see a snake, it will most likely be a garter snake, which is harmless.
I remember there were a couple garter snakes that came into the basement of the house I used to live in, which was also in Lincoln. I doubt that would happen to you very often, or maybe not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska