Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times

Advertisements

No don't break that's how you spin out. You'll figure it out. No we don't have Ikea but we've got plenty of places to buy furniture. I'm not sure about Lincoln but Omaha has Nebraska Furniture Mart which is the largest furniture store in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 10:12 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,500 times
Cafe,

DTO is right about the snow/ice. If you lock your breaks you simply will slide across the ice and not drive across it. Generally just drive slow and, like DTO said, you'll figure it out.

As far as furniture, in Lincoln, I would suggest Slumberland and right next to that is a Furniture Row outlet.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:25 PM

36 posts, read 130,517 times
Speaking of Drive Slow.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-2ns52XQCUg.

Hate hip hop? The sax riff makes up for it.

Largest furniture store in the country? Like the Mall of America in MN?

Old 04-21-2007, 03:12 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,434 times
You can go online to check out the Nebraska Furniture Mart. Lincoln has some nice furniture stores, but not at big as NFM in Omaha.

Here is their link for you:

http://www.nfm.com/DEFAULT.ASPX

Old 04-22-2007, 12:39 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
There is a plan for Trader Joes to open a location in Omaha, I believe in the Dundee neighborhood, we also have a whole foods and wild oats... Hy-Vee is building super-massive stores.. We also have no-frills etc...
Well, that's good to know that there will soon be a Trader Joe's over there. I just LOVE shopping at my local TJ's on a regular basis.

We have lots of WholeFoods stores and Wild Oats as well.

I almost forgot about the No-Frills Supermarkets. I went shopping at one store with my friend the last time I was in Omaha. Wish we had them here in California!

Old 04-22-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Blueberry Beer at Trader Joe's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe du monde View Post
OMG, Dennis, I practically live at Trader Joes! I love that place! It has everything! Whenever you want to make dinner for friends, and entertain, you can never go wrong by stopping by there--your meal is practically guranteed to turn out well. Have you tried the Blueberry beer? I forget the brand (it has a polar bear on it wearing a yellow fisherman's cap), but damn, if it ain't good! Go get some now, if you're by Trader Joes and you're not allergic to alcohol or a recovering alcoholic. I mean it!
No, I haven't tried the blueberry beer at TJ's. Sounds yummy, though! I'll have to look for it next time I'm there, maybe later this week. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Winter driving in Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Cafe,

DTO is right about the snow/ice. If you lock your breaks you simply will slide across the ice and not drive across it. Generally just drive slow and, like DTO said, you'll figure it out.
Winter driving in the northern states is something those of us from places like California and Florida never learn. I guess you'll figure it out once you're there, as the previous posters stated. Also, regarding snow removal from your car, I've been told (by my Omaha friend) that you need to start with the roof of your car first and work your way down. So it would be a good idea to invest in a good snow scraper.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,176 times
Theres been way to much Lincoln bashing here, its a great town to be in. And as I see your following the big stereotype. There is a lot in Lincoln and Omaha. I have seen many big name rock bands (just as an example) in the area. I have many friends that go to UNL, and they love it there.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 PM

673 posts, read 4,070,237 times
Omaha is improving alot but Lincoln has major issues. The main thing about Lincoln it really doesnt want to improve like Omaha does.

I dont stereotype or generalize Lincoln its one of the least diverse places in the nation where nearly every one has the same mind set. Lincoln is a very, very backwards, unvisionary and uncultured place. So really nothing good about it, except for people who want a wide-variety of fixer-upper homes for cheap because so much of Lincoln is blighted.

Lincoln's main mistake and what makes it such an unpleasent place is the fact its a one-niche place: married people with many babies and a very absoluteist mentality. Basically, because people have so many babies here in Lincoln they dont eat at restaurants or go to entertainment as much as other cities so thus Lincoln sales tax revenues are pathetic and thus they have a long-term structural budget deficit.

Lincoln even goes so far to prefer older trailer-parks over high-density construction like alot of cities prefer. Basically, the reason for this is all the people who run the city of Lincoln like to become a families only city so thus those triple-wide mobile homes have more square footage to raise families then high-density apartment units so the trailers and pre-fabricated homes take priority in Lincoln zoning plans.

Omaha on the other hand is trying to have more density in its urban area espeically towards downtown which is good because it increases the viability of the neighborhoods and also increases property tax bases more then cheaper construction that Lincoln prefers in most cases(just so people can have large families).

As far as live performances go, Omaha has a brand-new arena that Lincoln can only dream of.

Additionally, Lincolnites have a disdain for employers who bring jobs to the community. Single person health insurance policies are far cheaper for employers then policies for large Lincoln families. Yet, the people who run Lincoln have no grasp of simple economics so they just like to impose a religious agenda encouraging a demographic of mainly large, large families.
Alot of this is why Lincoln's economic growth is very weak.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-27-2007 at 04:41 PM..

Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,500 times
Mattden,

What are you talking about?? Once again you just ramble on and on!

Lincoln is not suffering from "severe" blight!! Give me a break!! You just happen to live in the area that is blighted...the vast majority of Lincoln isn't blighted!!

Secondly, quit supposing you know what Lincolnites "think"!! Seriously.

Only families with "many" babies and an absolutist attitude. Where do you get this stuff??!! Now, you're just making stuff up!

Why don't you mention the two highr ises that are going to be built in the downtown area when you're going on about how Lincoln doesn't want "high density housing"

And give me a break with the trailer park references. I know of only 1 very small area that has any trailer houses...and its no less than what is found in Omaha!!

I'll tell you this much, you're not an economist and you're not a public policy maker. To be honest, I'm not sure if you actually know how either of these two things work either.

You make it sound as though all Lincolnites live in poverty and choose to do so. You actually make the comment that Lincolnites have a "disdain for empoyers who bring in jobs". Come on!!

Seriously, you need to get a life. I'm not sure what your problem is with Lincoln, but its pretty immature. Lincoln isn't perfect, no place is, but at least be fair. Nothing you said in this post had ANY factual basis. You're just bashing all of the people of Lincoln and grouping them into one group of money hating baby machines. I'm guessing you have no money and no children...could that be your issue with Lincoln?? And don't go off on some sort of, "you resort to personal attacks rant". I'm not attacking you personally. I'm trying to figure out how you continually mislead people about the people of Lincoln and why you continually lump all 250,000 people in Lincoln into one demographic and one mindset. I think its ironic that I've seen you preach about "Nebraskans closed mindedness" Practice what you preach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska