Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 07:41 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,787 times

Advertisements

We recently moved and in our effort to prepare for the snow we were wondering...Does everyone around here use car sealants to protect the paint against the salts used for snow? What do you all think of those sealant protectors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times
It depends what kind of car paint you have, I guess. I've never heard anyone using that. I don't really think the snow salt will damage the paint that badly, as most car paint is designed to withstand that stuff. I wouldn't imagine there would be that much salt scraping against your car paint that it would cause that kind of damage. If it did, it would be minimal damage to the bottom part of the car that you would hardly notice. But if you have a Ferrari or a Lotus by all means, buy any protection for your peace of mind.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM

696 posts, read 1,726,345 times
There is the part where at least up in the northeast part of the state they use a corn base liquid deicer which doesn't damage cars.

The main thing is if you plan on any small road trips to have a winter emergency kit.

At the very least I put several large trash bags that can be made into a poncho.
When you are in a ditch and it is 10 degrees and the wind is blowing a simple wind breaker
can make the difference.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,787 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 AM

58 posts, read 166,127 times
While I'm not aware of anything specifically that protects your finish against road salt, I wouldn't underestimate the protection offered by a good quality wax. I've been using a product called Collinite 845 Insultator wax and it seems to hold up great against the weather. Granted, I live in Florida now (and have to worry about a different set of nature's elements) but I selected this wax because of its durability and longevity. But, really any quality wax should provide ample protection for you. One application before the snow starts flying might be enough to get you through winter, but if you can, reapplying sometime in mid-January would be even better. Just be sure to apply it in either a heated garage or while the weather is still warm since if the temps drop too low, the wax won't bond to the paint's surface well.

One other thing that wasn't mentioned (depending on what kind of car you have and what type of tires you're running on) you might want to look into getting snow tires.

Unfortunately, this is my last Florida "winter" so I'll soon be in the same boat! Good luck!

TR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska