Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:47 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times

Advertisements

I want to take the kids camping this summer to see and catch/release lightening bugs. Any recommendations on where to go and WHEN to go? I am also hopeful to catch some farmers markets too, small town festivals, etc.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Are you from Fountain, Co? Are you looking for more the western part of Nebraska then?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 AM

137 posts, read 615,115 times
Default Great Camping!

Nebraska has some great camping opportunities, and most will offer the opportunity of catching some of those flashing bugs throughout the summer.

What kind of camping are you looking for? Dispersed camping is available at state wildlife management areas for example and there are some really great spots you can pitch your tent next to a lake and be all by yourself. Many wildlife management areas have free camping available.

State parks and recreation areas are another possiblilty. A big jump up from dispersed camping in terms of ammenities. Swimming pools, RV hookups picnic tables and rest rooms are available for a nominal price. Park entrance fees apply as well.

Most towns offer camping in their park. Many are free, some ask for a donation, and some flat out tell you they want "X" amount of money.

I'd recommend that you determine the time you want to visit and make your camping plans around that. Check out county fairs, town festivals etc around the time you want to come and find a place to camp.

For a recommendation... I'd stay near Cambridge in SW Nebraska. We're about 25 miles east of McCook, 10 miles from Medicine Creek State Recreation Area and the Medicine Creek Wildlife Management Area... both have camping as described above. Town has a donation RV park/campground, stores, restaurants, supplies, and everything you could need for a camping trip. If you like golf, we've got a great course, and Medicine Creek Days, our local festival, is held in late June I believe this year. Oh yeah.... we have flashy bugs too.

To find out about just about every place you can camp in Nebraska, check out www.rv-camping.org/Nebraska.html.

The Cambridge town web site is www.cambridgene.org/

Come on down and have some fun!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 AM

252 posts, read 732,538 times
Or....you could travel on West, on the Republican River, until Harlan Reservoir. Great facilities. Go across the dam to Patterson Harbor where there is swimming dock and a marina with boat rental. Boat rental on North Shore, as well, and a really neat restaurant.....

Consider 4th of July parade in Alma plus Art in the Park............and, a beautiful biking trail, golf course, city park, swimming pool, library...

Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
Yes, we are in Fountain, CO. Think we are heading towards Grinnell, IA as our end destination. I would like to find something on the western end of the state (NE).

Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM

252 posts, read 732,538 times
Duh. I said, "Travel...West...(from Medicine Creek Res.) to Harlan Reservoir. Harlan is EAST of Med. Creek. Don't know what I was thinking. And, if you are traveling North Kansas highways or South of I 80, it's on your way.

But, Harlan really is a nice lake with a lot of camping and other facilities.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:20 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Visit Nebraska - Travel & Tourism Home (http://www.visitnebraska.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=452&Item id=745 - broken link)

I'm not really a camper, but the above website might give some insight.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,578 times
Default Camping Groups in Omaha, NE

I am wondering if there is an Explorers camping group is active in Omaha. My family were members in the 70's and now my husband and I own a camper and I know how fun it is to camp with other families.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
There's also Trenton/Swanson Reservoir (on hwy6/34), as well as the more obvious-- Lake Mac, and Jeffries Reservoir which are both near I80...

Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,727 times
I am looking for a christian rv camping group in nebraska near Lincoln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska