Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times

Advertisements

First, the OP states, "Catholic Charities finds it okay to refuse gay patients and refuse to refer them", which is great for shock value to get people's attention to read the thread, but false, because according to the link provided, it was Jim Cunningham, executive director of the Nebraska Catholic Conference who said, "Psychologists should be able to refuse to treat - and refuse to refer clients - because of religious or moral convictions" at a hearing.

Big difference there. The OP titles the thread Catholic Charities said it was okay to refuse gay patients, so please provide the link for that statement being made by catholic charities.

Second, if there IS a psychologist who refuses to counsel ~anyone~ based on ~whatever~ moral standard they personally espouse, it would not surprise me, as psychologists are human beings too, with their own religious beliefs. (believe me, I work with counselors/psychologists on a daily basis... if you ONLY knew what goes in their heads!)

There is a code mentioned in the article. A search of APA Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct states in part,
ETHICAL STANDARDS
Principle E: Respect for People's Rights and Dignity
Psychologists are aware of and respect cultural, individual, and role differences, including those based on age, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, language, and socioeconomic status and consider these factors when working with members of such groups. Psychologists try to eliminate the effect on their work of biases based on those factors, and they do not knowingly participate in or condone activities of others based upon such prejudices.

My point is there are probably already psychologists who refuse to counsel people due to their own biases, and two, this person Jim Cunningham is going to have a very rude awakening when he starts telling psychologist/counselors who they can NOT counsel and/or who they CANNOT even give referrals to the gay patients. Most psychologists will laugh, I know I would.

A counselor's job is to help people help themselves, what is next if this goes through? Refusing to counsel people who have abortions? believe in stem cell research? A back woods baptist counselor refusing someone who does not dance with snakes in his mouth? The absurdity of religion delving into medical ethics is laughable.

Because as someone stated in the article, you can counsel murderers or child molestors without compromising your own beliefs that those behaviors are wrong.

I think Jim Cunningham, executive director of the Nebraska Catholic Conference could use some good old fashioned therapy himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:52 AM

48,116 posts, read 21,997,640 times
I am familiar with the decision of Catholic Charities to close their adoption service rather than comply with anti discrimination laws in Massachussets and allow gay couples to adopt.

There are lots of sites that discuss this decision.....I chose the one most favorable to Catholic position altho I find it offensive and very sad. Catholic Charities and Gay Adoption - Catholic Online My concern is that children would be left in long term foster care or worse, based on theological positions. Catholic Charities has a long and excellent history with providing adoption services and services to children.....to me it is as if the Red Cross decided to close its disaster relief because it didnt want to serve a gay family who were burned out of their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska