Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,074 times

Advertisements

Someone posted about our town Aurora. I reside here, and have for the past 18 years. My husband was raised here and his family farms in Hamilton County. Aurora and Hamilton County are growing. It is a great community to live in, work in and raise your family. Thirty new homes were constructed last year and many more are being built now. The school is adding on, the hospital is adding on, Aurora Cooperative and Aventine are developing a project called Aurora West which is bringing more jobs to our area also. Ag is a big part of our community as well as Syngenta Seeds, BonnaVilla Homes and IAMS. I urge you to contact Eddie Ranson at our chamber to find out what employment opportunities would fit with your skills. Our population is about 4,900. Our school is a Class B School with about 100 students per grade. To find out more about Aurora, go to auroranebraska.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 06:12 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,214 times
Default toswald - Thanks!

You are a wealth of information, and Aurora sounds like a delightful town - just the kind of place we would be looking for if it comes to relocating. The links you provided will save me tons of time on search engines & I'll definately check them out.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 26,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getnrdy View Post
Let me clarify my statement above. I don't like Nebraska either. But, there are lots of folks here that do. So, I won't knock this area. Iowa is full of little towns that would suit you well. With your work histories, either one would be good for you.

One note about Omaha though. Don't choose a small town within 20 miles of the city. Omaha is on a roll to annex every small town near them. So stay at least 20 miles away.

Otherwise, I hope you find a small midwest town and enjoy it.
I agree with getnrdy 100% about getting away from the cities. Iowa towns are also very clean and friendly.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 AM

19 posts, read 105,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstory67 View Post
I agree with getnrdy 100% about getting away from the cities. Iowa towns are also very clean and friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getnrdy View Post
Let me clarify my statement above. I don't like Nebraska either. But, there are lots of folks here that do. So, I won't knock this area. Iowa is full of little towns that would suit you well. With your work histories, either one would be good for you.

One note about Omaha though. Don't choose a small town within 20 miles of the city. Omaha is on a roll to annex every small town near them. So stay at least 20 miles away.

Otherwise, I hope you find a small midwest town and enjoy it.

Read up on your annexation law in Nebraska. No town can forcibly annex a town with greater than 10,000 populations or a town that is across county lines. There are very few targets of "small towns" left that Omaha can take over. It is very unlikely that this will be changed for Omaha since it will take a state vote.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:08 AM

16 posts, read 67,947 times
I, too, am looking to move to nebraska, in my case from Iowa. I lived in nebraska from 1981-1992 and I loved it there, precisely kearney, ne. I want to move back there. I did live for about a year in shelton, ne. which is not all so far from kearney either and its very small. You might check it out. For myself, I am trying to find the same info-want to move to kearney, ne. though-looking for the no brainer jobs for my daughter and I just to get us started again. My daughter and i are leaving my husband and we want a fresh start by ourselves so we have picked a place she was born in and I lived in before. I just don't know where to start as I have been married 36 yrs. and this is the 1st time on my own, don't drive and neither does she so we will need some help to get restarted again but we are determined to do this. any ideas? thanks.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:20 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
You might like western Nebraska - maybe Ogallala, Broken Bow, Ord, or Chadron. (All under 5,000 pop.) Of course, the lack of jobs is the reason most folks leave Nebraska rather than move in.

If you're from Michigan, I fear you might miss all the trees. Nebraska generally is not known for a lot of vegetation.

I've applied for work in Ord and Chadron. If anything comes of it or I dig up some good information on the towns, I'll be glad to share it!

Paul

Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,686 times
Go to the Nebraska Workforce Development website, a very good job resource. I think central, north central Nebraska would be good. Harlan, Sherman, Johnson and Calamus Lakes are in this area and Lake McConahagy is only a few hours away. I don't know too much about fishing but I sure there are some other good fishing spots. I would recommend Holdrege, Ord, Broken Bow, Cozad, Gothenburg, Aurora, Minden, St Paul as towns near your size you want that would have hospitals, grocery etc.. If you would go for a bigger town, I would go for Kearney, a super nice town with good education and health care and there is a youth detention center there also.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1951 View Post
I, too, am looking to move to nebraska, in my case from Iowa. I lived in nebraska from 1981-1992 and I loved it there, precisely kearney, ne. I want to move back there. I did live for about a year in shelton, ne. which is not all so far from kearney either and its very small. You might check it out. For myself, I am trying to find the same info-want to move to kearney, ne. though-looking for the no brainer jobs for my daughter and I just to get us started again. My daughter and i are leaving my husband and we want a fresh start by ourselves so we have picked a place she was born in and I lived in before. I just don't know where to start as I have been married 36 yrs. and this is the 1st time on my own, don't drive and neither does she so we will need some help to get restarted again but we are determined to do this. any ideas? thanks.
The transportation thing might be hard as Kearney is not big enough to support a big public system. For a place to live to start, Kearney does have a lot of rentals because its a college town. I assume by no-brainer jobs you mean jobs requiring no education. There is a Cabelas call center that hires and also several factories including Morris Press Cookbooks which does have some at home work. Check out the paper, Kearney Hub.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:02 PM

I forgot to mention Central City, they are giving away free lots (of course with restrictions) if that interests you.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:17 PM

15 posts, read 35,781 times
Default which town is better and why

We have a 14.5 yr. old daughter and a 11.5 yr old son, both with bipolar 1 disorder. We want more than anything to move back to small town NE. We have narrowed it down to Minden, Aurora, and Aubury. Our qualifications are: access (within 30-60 mins.) to competant pych care-includes pychiatrist, counselors/therapists, pych. hospitals and RTCs. Daughter is in 9th and has an IEP, son is in 6th and is in GT. Daughter is into church youth groups, 4H, and creative stuff and is looking forward to her first summer job. Son is ALL ABOUT sports!! Especially football. He is also interested in shooting sports, skateboarding, and making his own money. Husband is into CATFISHING!!! Need a small town that has PLENTY of activities- summer sports, swimming pool, library, shopping, and more than 1 grocery store. All ideas GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska