Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:39 PM

149 posts, read 474,245 times

Advertisements

LOL!! have heard a lot about the new madrid fault!...but I will happily trade off earthquakes for severe weather..gotta have a tornado siren close to my home though, to add to the excitement!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 12:41 PM

10 posts, read 49,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4mFh-I1Epc[/url]

If you can get into this one, I was in this quake and am scared to death of earthquakes. This one lasted forever.
Hmmmm.. easy for me to say, cuz I've experienced both. Perhaps not as easy for someone who hasn't. I say hands-down earthquakes are worse. The reason I say that is because with an earthquake there usually aren't easy signals ahead of time. With tornados you get easy to read signals, such as the way the clouds form on the horizon, the air outside/sky temporarily turns a weird orange-gray, plus the tornado sirens are a big clue. lol.. But ya know, just as people in CA do, the first things most locals here do is run outside and watch. We have a basement, (which is where one is 'supposed' to go in a tornado, along with family, pets, rations, blankets, water, emergency radio and candles, etc). We only went there ONCE! Right after we moved here. Felt like fools, cuz everyone else in town was either going on their way, or out looking at the tornado. One time as a tornado was moving closer to town, one farmer was out calmly mowing his fields. (ok I admit, we were out with the locals 'watching'.) And one time my youngest son, 16 at the time, left the park where he was with his gf, came home, and climbed on the roof so he could see better. eeeeeeeek! I wouldn't advise that!! hehe.. But anyway, since I've been in the middle of both, and both ARE scary, my vote is that earthquakes are worse than tornados.

Course, I can say that because I haven't had the actual earthquake or tornado hit directly on my house! Might change my mind if a tornado is hovering directly over my roof instead of a mile or so out.

But ya know what? Seems no matter where ya live, there's something to be watchful for, I dunno if there's a place anywhere that never has a natural disaster, whichever kind it may be. My middle son lives in FL, attending the ITT Techical Institute. Since I've never been in a hurricane, that scares me more than earthquakes and tornados!! We just prepare the best we can for natural disasters, get used to the type that occurs where we live and be on watch for that, then put the rest in the hands of the Lord.

Myst

Old 05-21-2007, 06:32 PM

this all sounds like fun!! I will be right out there watching too! if it is daylight here when an earthquake happens, I love to watch how the trees and bushes sway, and when the quake is centered close, I love that roar!!..one time we had a 5.2, centered just 2 miles from us, and right before the shaking hit, it sounded just like a sonic boom...that was great!!...all the neighbors came out of their houses, excitedly talking about what just happened...

so I am sure tornados are the same way in causing excitement..my son in law grew up in florida, and he said no one got upset over hurricanes coming...he said him and his family would prepare, but at the same time, be excited...it is all in how you look at things...nature is truly fascinating, and if people would just get past their fears, and take time to truly take things in, the sights, sounds and smells, they might discover how neat it really is!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:00 AM

25 posts, read 86,746 times
The first time we had a tornado in New Mexico, we "sought shelter" and our neighbors were like "what are you doing?" like there was something wrong with us. Apparently the tornadoes here overall aren't that bad!

Ironically, we had a REALLY bad one here a few months back. I was in warnings a lot as a kid, but this was the first time I actually saw one (it destroyed a lot of buildings in Clovis, NM). VERY scary experience.

And apparently we've been in many "mini" earthquakes, yet we don't feel them here. the only earthquake I was in was in Tennessee, ironically of all places, when I was a kid in 1982.

Maybe it's because I'm used to them, but the thought of an earthquake scares me so much more than the thought of a tornado.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:14 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,501 times
I've only been in two earthquakes....and yes, they were both felt here in Cincinnati. First time, I was in a swimming pool and heard a faint rumble, but thought maybe it was a jet passing over. Being in the pool, I really didn't feel much, but a lady (who owned the home) came out and asked us if we "felt that". We didn't know what she was talking about, and she said the whole house shook, and the walls in her kitchen appeared to move in and then back out. Oddly, there wasn't any damage - so maybe she was exaggerating the severity - ? Given that we don't generally experience quakes here, it might have seemed significant to her.

The second time (now don't laugh), it was the middle of the night and I was sitting on the toilet. The next thing I knew, it felt like someone grabbed the toilet and jolted it, as if trying to push it off the floor. That was a weird sensation. I later learned it was actually a quake that had happened up in Lake Erie, near Mentor Ohio.

Granted, those were only minor quakes....but I still think it would be easier for me to deal with a quake as opposed to a tornado.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:27 PM

well I was out of town this last week, and missed a 3.7 and a 3.5, not far from where I live.....I sure hated missing those, even though they were tiny...everyone I know felt them, and said they gave the house a nice sharp jolt....scared my son in law to pieces, as he is from florida, and does not know what to expect....but he loves hurricanes, so guess it is all what you are used to....

Old 06-09-2007, 08:06 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
well I was out of town this last week, and missed a 3.7 and a 3.5, not far from where I live.....I sure hated missing those, even though they were tiny...everyone I know felt them, and said they gave the house a nice sharp jolt....scared my son in law to pieces, as he is from florida, and does not know what to expect....but he loves hurricanes, so guess it is all what you are used to....
3-4 or even 5 point earthquakes are nothing. More than likely you will not feel these. I was in a 5 point earthquake a couple of years prior to the 7 point one. I felt slight shaking but hear a noise like as if someone dropped heavy furniture upstairs. It lasted only seconds...not long enough to even realize an earthquake.

The 7 point earthquake lasted almost 2 minutes. I don't think anyone could get used to earthquakes and the death and devestation they cause. With no warning system, nowone can evacuate. Hurricanes = warning system. If you live there and are scared of hurricanes, at least you have the option to leave.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:23 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,987 times
Did all of you know that there is a major fault line in the midwest. It is called the New Madrid Fault Zone. Around 1811 to 1814 this area had a massive earthquake that was at the level of 9 on the richter scale. It was so strong that it made the Mississippi River flow north for a short period of time. They say that this zone has had major earthquakes about every 100 years or so. If at this time if the New Madrid has a earthquake that is around 7 to 8 that there would be over 5000 deaths and millions in damage. The midwest just does not have building codes like they do have in California and we have a lot of older buildings that would be totally flatten. For me it does not matter I would not want to be in either a earthquake or a tornado, but if I had my choice I would pick a tornado at least I could see it coming and have a few minutes to take cover. I have been in several tornadoes one being a F5 and that one was a bad one at least I was able to get out of the way. With a earthquake you have no warning it just happens and you can't get out of the road of it all you can do is ride it out then dig yourself out if you are alive and able to do so.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:42 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,067,748 times
Where exactly is the New Madrid Fault Zone? What state does is run through particularly?

Old 06-13-2007, 02:30 PM

482 posts, read 2,226,987 times
It is on the eastern part of Missouri. In 1811 the earthquake lasted for two days and was felt as far as Washington DC and Atlanta. It was a very large earthquake. If one like this would hit today St Louis, Memphis areas would be totally destroyed even it would be a 6 or 7 quake on the Richter scale. It will not be nice if or when this zone lets go again. You can go to this web site to read about it: The New Madrid Fault Zone or System - Maps, Facts, Historical Information, and Prediction Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: