Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 AM

60 posts, read 270,820 times

Advertisements

Can someone list a few of them?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 AM

696 posts, read 1,726,039 times
Weather and temp sensitivity.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:04 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
A lot.

Texas has almost ten times as many people, with three of Americas ten largest cities. Nebraskas only urban areas are Lincoln and Omaha, and even those are sort of the smaller size.

A lot more diversified population. I think the panhandle with its wide open plains, is really the only region of Texas that is like Nebraska.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:07 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
There is no difference between the "people" in NE and Texas. People are people. There are hundreds of thousands of ex-Nebraskans who live in Texas and there are many ex-Texans who live in Nebraska. There is no difference, except possibly and accent.

Now, there are many differences in the states, but that's not what was asked.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Ok, fine, now I'll ask. What are the primary differences between the states? Other than size.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:10 PM

252 posts, read 732,639 times
A better question: What is the difference between the political 'leaning' of the average person who resides around "old town" Omaha and the average resident of "old town" Austin? Or, of course, as afore meant: "Are the people of Canadian, Texas, very much like the people of Scottsbluff, NE?"

Although, not rocket science (or fine art) to know that you meant, "Can I assume that Texans and Nebraskans do not tolerate anything except a rural WASP?"

(To which I would answer, "Who you askin', Buddie?")

Old 01-17-2010, 02:49 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,539 times
Spanish is used in Texas far more than in Nebraska. Oil industry vs. corn. Longhorns vs. Huskers. There are tons of differences here and there. What are you trying to figure out?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:13 PM

19 posts, read 44,778 times
Economics. Our economy isn't in the toilet.

Wealth Pathfinder

Old 01-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
There are tons of differences here and there. What are you trying to figure out?
At first I was curious about how outgoing Nebraskans were, because the Texans that I've met are some of the most outgoing and friendly people I've ever met. Then, my curiosity just grew to encompass the entire state. Are there as many suburbs (commuting) in Nebraska as there are in Texas? Are there the same amount of amenities offered in Omaha as there are in larger Texan cities or is Omaha more similar to the smaller Texan cities? Are the summers in Nebraska as hot as the summers in Texas? Is there much diversity in Omaha?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:43 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoan View Post
Are there as many suburbs (commuting) in Nebraska as there are in Texas? Are there the same amount of amenities offered in Omaha as there are in larger Texan cities or is Omaha more similar to the smaller Texan cities? Are the summers in Nebraska as hot as the summers in Texas? Is there much diversity in Omaha?
No, there is not as strong of a commuter culture compared to other state's large cities. There are suburbs of Omaha like Papillion, LaVista, and Bellevue but they seem to me like they function on their own. Since the cost of living in Omaha is not drastically different than the suburbs around it and the city is not densely packed, there is not much of a reason for people to live outside Omaha. To me, Omaha does not have that "urban feel." I always felt as if Omaha is a giant suburb.

As for amenities, well there is the zoo, there are theatres, enough shopping, etc. But I doubt any of it will amount to the venues of Dallas or Austin. The arts scene isn't as outgoing here as it is in other large cities.

Summers are hot, but I doubt they are as hot as Texas (sorry, I was only in Houston a few years back so IDK for sure). Winters are particularly harsh here. Summers do indeed get hot, but I really don't think it would get as hot as Texas.

Diversity - this one is almost purely subjective. I would say no, but some people here would say yes. I will say though, that diversity is growing. There are more Hispanic and Asian immigrants coming in (and out) almost every day it seems. Omaha and Lincoln have a fairly noticeable amount of African-Americans. But you definitely can't compare it to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska