Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM

33 posts, read 163,260 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering retiring to Dayton/Carson City after 30 years in LV. I have a few questions if anyone who lives in Dayton would be so kind.

1. Windy? Lots of comments in these posts about the wind. In LV the wind blows. But I don't consider LV to a windy place to live. It's usually calm in the morning and then can blow 10-20 in the afternoon as the land heats up and the thermal updrafts start. (No, I'm not a meterologist). I assume that Dayton has the same drill.

2. Tech infrastructure. Dayton seems to be served by Charter Communications. Is there digital cable? High Def TV? High speed cable modems?

3. I've been looking at the housing around the Dayton Valley golf course. Some of the houses seem NOT to have air conditioning or is the listing just incomplete? Can it be possible that houses built in the last 5 years do not have AC?

4. As I see the geography, Route 50 goes up one side of the Carson River and Dayton Valley road goes up the other side. The only bridge seems to be in downtown Old Dayton near Main Street. So if I buy a house out Route 50 north of the State Park, do I really have to drive back into town to get across the river to the Dayton Valley golf course? I know it is only a few miles, but just want to make sure I didn't miss a bridge on the maps I have seen.

5. If I buy a house near the river, are there any mosquitoes or other bugs? How about bugs in Dayton in general?

6. If any golfers are reading this, any comments on the local courses? Seems like Dayton Valley golf course is the fancy place and that Eagle River is the muni course. Is it worth it to get a yearly pass to Dayton Valley or should I just play the other local courses like Sunridge, Eagle Valley and the courses near Walker Lake? I'll be playing 3 to 4 times a week.

I know this is a lot of questions and I appreciate in advance any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,865 times
Pending a response from a current Dayton resident, I will offer my perspective. I am not in Dayton. I'm in the Carson Valley (Minden, Gardnerville, Genoa). However, it is close and I have looked at Dayton housing and have been there mutliple times for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknevada View Post
1. Windy? Lots of comments in these posts about the wind. In LV the wind blows. But I don't consider LV to a windy place to live. It's usually calm in the morning and then can blow 10-20 in the afternoon as the land heats up and the thermal updrafts start. (No, I'm not a meterologist). I assume that Dayton has the same drill.
You described it pretty well. I can't address the reasons for any breeze, but it will vary in the afternoon . . . calm in the morning to about noon-ish, breezy through the afternoon and into the evening, and then it goes away in the late evening. However, there will be days when the breeze is not around very much, just like yesterday when it was very lite.

Quote:
2. Tech infrastructure. Dayton seems to be served by Charter Communications. Is there digital cable? High Def TV? High speed cable modems?
This is one question where we need a current resident's response. Sorry, but I don't have the answer for you.

Quote:
3. I've been looking at the housing around the Dayton Valley golf course. Some of the houses seem NOT to have air conditioning or is the listing just incomplete? Can it be possible that houses built in the last 5 years do not have AC?
Oh no, they have air conditioning. If you're looking on realtor.com or some other sites, they just don't have everything listed.

The houses on the golf course vary in age, size, style, and upgrades. Some appear like small retirement-type "patio homes" with minimal yards. Others look like grand foofie-type houses. Some were built 10 or so years ago. Others are much newer and even brand new. So, they range in style, size, and age.

Quote:
4. As I see the geography, Route 50 goes up one side of the Carson River and Dayton Valley road goes up the other side. The only bridge seems to be in downtown Old Dayton near Main Street. So if I buy a house out Route 50 north of the State Park, do I really have to drive back into town to get across the river to the Dayton Valley golf course? I know it is only a few miles, but just want to make sure I didn't miss a bridge on the maps I have seen.
When you'r headed east from Carson City on US50, you will parallel the Carson River when you get closer to Dayton. At the far east side of Carson City, and as you drive towards Dayton, you will be passing a variety of industiral sprawl. It's not pretty, but it's been there long before Dayton began developing as an alternative to more expensive areas in Northern Nevada.

Once you hit the main old downtown street of Dayton, you will make a right turn to head into the newer developments and the golf course area you're considering. The bridge that crosses the Carson River is a small bridge. I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
5. If I buy a house near the river, are there any mosquitoes or other bugs? How about bugs in Dayton in general?
The Carson River is moving water. Mosquitos need standing water to breed. You will have little deset-type bugs you get anywhere and small little fly-type things (Mayflies?) that flit on the moving water, but I don't find them a problem.

I like to flyfish, but I won't do it on the Carson River in that area for various reasons that don't include bugs. However, in fresher areas of the river that haven't picked-up runoff from the old mining areas, and up on other mountain streams, I haven't found bugs to be a particular problem. They've been much much worse in other areas of the country.

Quote:
6. If any golfers are reading this, any comments on the local courses? Seems like Dayton Valley golf course is the fancy place and that Eagle River is the muni course. Is it worth it to get a yearly pass to Dayton Valley or should I just play the other local courses like Sunridge, Eagle Valley and the courses near Walker Lake? I'll be playing 3 to 4 times a week.
I don't golf so I can't help with this question.

I would only offer the following in addition to your questions. Dayton has limited shopping available right now, although a WalMart is planned for the area in about 5 years or so. In the meantime, you will find yourself heading into Carson City for things you need. It's not as convenient as having something in town.

You can also get some very good deals on housing in Dayton. Let's face it, people went to Dayton because they were looking for something cheaper than could be found in alternative areas like West Carson, Douglas County, or up towards Lake Tahoe. Being further out into the desert, the housing was less expensive.

Now, with the downturn in the real estate markets in wide areas of the country, Dayton continues to remain challenged. There's lots of houses for sale. Prices have declined in all markets in the area, so there's less reason to head out into Dayton to find affordable housing. To me that means the price decline in Dayton will be larger and the recovery will come later than other areas in the region.

So, don't unbury someone from their overpriced listing or flip-gone-bad out there because they bought at the top of the market. You'll find other houses that are appropriately listed for the current market or that the overpriced people were just fishing and are really willing to deal.

The deals are there, although many will argue that the deals will get better and better over the next year or so. It's very possible, but that's something you need to deal with.

Otherwise, my only other comment on Dayton has to do with desirability. I found it rather remote and I didn't like driving through the messy areas along US50 to get there. It wasn't attractive. I also found the town itself as unattractive.

It all comes down to money, and Lyon County does not have the money to do things like Cason City (County), Douglas County, or Washoe Caounty. It's money that will fix up downtowns, maintain streets, beautify boulevards, clean-up blight, etc. I don't see that on the near horizon for Lyon County.

So, good luck with your search.

Last edited by garth; 07-05-2007 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-05-2007, 07:01 PM

33 posts, read 163,260 times
Default Thanks Garth

I appreciate your response. It was very helpful especially to the lady of the house. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:00 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,865 times
You're welcome.

BTW, if history interests you, here's a little on Dayton. It argues with Genoa as the oldest town in Nevada. I really don't care which one was exactly first, both are old. However, Dayton tends to lose out on the arguement and nicer housing to Genoa, which started as a Mormon trading settlement.

Dayton was also known as Chinatown when it first started. Back when Virginia City was going gangbusters and the Virginia and Truckee railroad needed workers, Chinese labor founded Dayton. I don't know if they were not allowed to live around Virginia City, but I do know that they created their own settlement that was later to become Dayton.

Enough for now. Good luck on your decision.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:20 AM

29 posts, read 83,976 times
Might be a little late to add to this question but if you choose to live at the golf course or somewhere else out DV Rd, remember, that bridge is the only one. There has been talk about building another further east, but haven't heard anything for some time.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 AM

943 posts, read 1,845,367 times
Walmart is not opening in Dayton it was a rummor. THere is a new one opening up in Minden/gardnerville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada