Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times

Advertisements

Lawmakers examine hepatitis scare, including one couple: 'One of us is positive'

Lawmakers got an earful Monday night. They heard public outrage, frustrated patients of Dr. Dipak Desai and calls for a complete overhaul of the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners.

Some of the 60 or so who testified before the Legislative Committee on Health Care at the Sawyer Building even suggested giving Gov. Jim Gibbons the boot.

ReviewJournal.com - News - PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS: Patients vent emotions

Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Now that would be a step in the right direction, give Gov.Gibbons the boot.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Lawmakers examine hepatitis scare, including one couple: 'One of us is positive'

Lawmakers got an earful Monday night. They heard public outrage, frustrated patients of Dr. Dipak Desai and calls for a complete overhaul of the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners.

Some of the 60 or so who testified before the Legislative Committee on Health Care at the Sawyer Building even suggested giving Gov. Jim Gibbons the boot.

ReviewJournal.com - News - PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS: Patients vent emotions
Hey GD give us a comparison. How current are the checks on the outpatient surgery centers in Tempe and Phoenix?

Did you raise this in the Phoenix forum as something that should be looked at?

Hmmm. Why would you, a hard core AZ resident, care about health care in Las VEgas?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
Why must you be so rude? What does it matter if someone from AZ discusses this in the Nevada forum? This was a nationally covered story and was discussed in at least three different threads in the Health and Wellness forum on City-Data by ppl who don't live in Nevada. You ought to know that cuz I read a few of your posts. People from all over the USA are interested in health care and interested to see how the incident in Las Vegas plays out.

Maybe you should see a dr. for an attitude adjustment.
Because he is not "someone from AZ". He is a Nevada and Las Vegas basher who has left Nevada after a long tenure and adopted AZ. He pitches AZ against Nevada.

One does not pet the sidewinder who used to live on your patio Becky...you shot the little son-of-a-*****. Even if he has moved across the street.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 PM

mod cut: orphaned quote removed

I know a little about the field. When I was a cub engineer I spent most of a year figuring out how to sterilize and keep sterile a wet filter press. If that level of sterility was required in public cliinical settings none of us would be able to afford them.

Note by the way that I suspect most of the goals were achievable witout risk to the patient. But they did not think it through. So they did the thing that violates the oath...they put their patients at risk...HANG EM...

Note however the downside. We just cut the availability of colonscopy by about a third. I would think that will kill 20 or 30 people in the next six months.

How do I know? Guess what they found on my first colonoscopy? Yup..Big and bad tumor. I lost a foot of colon and took some side damage from the Chemo involved. But then again I am still here four years later.

so we are punishing the Doctors involved but in the process killing a set of folks. I think that is probably a bad idea.

Note, by the way, the comment dealt exclusively with GreatDay...who initiated the thread. Why would a Real Estate Agent from Tempe care about the state of health care in Las Vegas? Because he correctly presumes he is a competitor of Las Vegas and should do anything he can to damage the reputation of Las Vegas. What would be better than pushing an obvious Vegas flaw - Bad procedures in our colonscopy operations = to the fore.

Note he is not worried about how they are done in Tempe.

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-30-2008 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: some text edited

Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Whose defending them? I know a little about the field. When I was a cub engineer I spent most of a year figuring out how to sterilize and keep sterile a wet filter press. If that level of sterility was required in public cliinical settings none of us would be able to afford them.

Note by the way that I suspect most of the goals were achievable witout risk to the patient. But they did not think it through. So they did the thing that violates the oath...they put their patients at risk...HANG EM...

Note however the downside. We just cut the availability of colonscopy by about a third. I would think that will kill 20 or 30 people in the next six months.

How do I know? Guess what they found on my first colonoscopy? Yup..Big and bad tumor. I lost a foot of colon and took some side damage from the Chemo involved. But then again I am still here four years later.

so we are punishing the Doctors involved but in the process killing a set of folks. I think that is probably a bad idea.

Note, by the way, the comment dealt exclusively with GreatDay...who initiated the thread. Why would a Real Estate Agent from Tempe care about the state of health care in Las Vegas? Because he correctly presumes he is a competitor of Las Vegas and should do anything he can to damage the reputation of Las Vegas. What would be better than pushing an obvious Vegas flaw - Bad procedures in our colonscopy operations = to the fore.

Note he is not worried about how they are done in Tempe.
Cutting the availability of colonscopy by about a third is another way of looking at it. But knowing what we know now, I dont see it as any great loss. Hopefully some of us, not me, can get our insurance to cover us to get this medical procedure in Phoenix or S. Cali. I didn't trust the doctors here before. I certianly dont trust them now.

I too am a cancer survivor. Not from the colon though. But as we chatted about before, I am overdue for this nasty procedure. The info you gave me about the none invasive colon scan is a plan.

Like ya said....the doctors who put their patients at risk.....HANG-UM !

Old 03-30-2008, 09:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS: Hepatitis increases HIV worry

Clinic patient fears she may have infected others

Bottles of medications to keep 60-year-old Phylis Marino's HIV under control sit on the coffee table in front of her. So do pain pills and a written reminder of an upcoming medical test on her liver, now being attacked by hepatitis C.

ReviewJournal.com - News - PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS: Hepatitis increases HIV worry

Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Cutting the availability of colonscopy by about a third is another way of looking at it. But knowing what we know now, I dont see it as any great loss. Hopefully some of us, not me, can get our insurance to cover us to get this medical procedure in Phoenix or S. Cali. I didn't trust the doctors here before. I certianly dont trust them now.

I too am a cancer survivor. Not from the colon though. But as we chatted about before, I am overdue for this nasty procedure. The info you gave me about the none invasive colon scan is a plan.

Like ya said....the doctors who put their patients at risk.....HANG-UM !

YOu are kidding I hope. You really thing that people will go to adjoining states? Or will they simply avoid the procedure? You are really under the impression we can carve a big hunk out of the availabilty of a service already underserved and make it up by shipping them to Phoenix?

So I suspect I have it about right. Kill 50 or 100 folk a year to prevent 6 or 12 canses of Hepatitis.

As you will discover the responsbility of the the GI doctor does not extend to the anesthesia.

What is in question here is organized mass produced medicine. We can ban that. But it probably doubles or triples the cost of those procedures.

Banning efficency in medicine is not really a bright idea. But that is what it takes to keep such things from reoccurring periodically .

Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,053,646 times
(I was going to delete some of the personally attacking posts but I'll see how this thread continues to progress.

Obviously, we aren't all going to have the same opinions or think the same way. We all have to realize that everybody is free to express what they're feeling but we can't attack that member personally. We can debate and express disagreement with what is being said but shouldn't be expressing opinions on the member who is expressing the ideas we don't agree with.

Just a reminder. Carry on.)

Edit: complaints received ...posts were removed and replies orphaned. No more personal attacks, please.

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-30-2008 at 10:49 PM..

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 AM

713 posts, read 2,718,151 times
In light of this issue, if you served in the military and received your immunizations via air gun you should be tested for HIV and HCV, if you have already not done so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada